IGNORED

Engine Noise

Eagle77

I just bought a 2006 Venture so far I really like the bike. My concern is an engine noise at certain RPM when crusing--that is when I am not speeding up or slowing down. In 5th gear its about 65 MPH. The noise is also heard in othr gears at lower speeds but only when not speeding up or slowing down--just crusing along. My thinking is that it may be the timing chain. My bike has 26 M miles on it. This may be normal for the engine but since by other bike is a V Twin I am not sure what are the normal noises for this engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eagle77----new member

Sounds normal to me, well maybe not normal but at least it's the way the Venture sounds.

Yeah about 65 is were mine is the worse, it also seems worse when it's really hot out. You'll get some ideas on ways to quiet it down but it is what it is.

BOO

It could be the whine that we all complain about, but it is hard to diagnose sounds via the internet...

Out of curiosity, did you buy your bike from some folks in Lubbock, TX? There is/was a 06 midnight for sale here (Lubbock) for a while... Looked like a nice bike, the owner didn't know anything about it though - they told me it had ABS and a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty...

Just in case you didn't know, you have a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, so you should be covered for some time still - just get with your local dealership and make sure they transfer it over to you :thumbsup2:

Depending on how bad your whine is (if that is what you were describing) some folks have had some luck getting the dealer to replace the clutch basket, under warranty. For some this quieted it down, for some there was no difference, and for some it made it worse.

Good luck friend!

Oh yea and

:2TEAL:

And also, put some pictures of your bike up too!! We all like pictures and ice cream...

I woudn't describe the noise as a whine. It sounds more like a rattle noise than a whine, more like something loose at a particular RPM as it does this in every gear at a certain RPM but worse crusing at 65 MPH. That is the reason I was thinking timeing chain.

I did not buy my bike in Lubbock. I actually bought it on E-Bay. I was concerned about that but the guy had a 100% rating. He turned out to be a really neat guy in Virginia. He is the guy that gave me this website. If you have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks

PS. I went by the Yamaha dealer in Gainsville, TX and was told there was no waranty so I am going to a dealer in Lewisville, TX and see waht they say.

As far as pictures I will have to get some help with the technique to do that as I am not very computer literate.

I woudn't describe the noise as a whine. It sounds more like a rattle noise than a whine, more like something loose at a particular RPM as it does this in every gear at a certain RPM but worse crusing at 65 MPH. That is the reason I was thinking timeing chain.

I did not buy my bike in Lubbock. I actually bought it on E-Bay. I was concerned about that but the guy had a 100% rating. He turned out to be a really neat guy in Virginia. He is the guy that gave me this website. If you have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks

PS. I went by the Yamaha dealer in Gainsville, TX and was told there was no waranty so I am going to a dealer in Lewisville, TX and see waht they say.

As far as pictures I will have to get some help with the technique to do that as I am not very computer literate.

Okay - if it is, in fact, some sort of rattle, that is definitely not 'normal' and not the 'whine'. My thoughts would be that it could be lifter noise/the valve train or timing chain... But since it is under warranty it would be worth having them take a listen/look at it. The valves would obviously not be covered under the warranty (we have some capable members here that can help you out with that) but it could be some other things as well.

Have you changed the oil since you've gotten it (and did that make a difference in the noise)? If one uses too light of oil you may get some chatter from the valve train... Just a thought.

Good call on finding a new dealer. The fact of the matter is your bike is an 06, so the earliest it would have left the showroom would have been late 05 - so you should be good through, at least, late 2010. Hopefully they'll know what they are talking about.

Thanks

Is the rattle kind of "tinny" sounding? Mine was doing the same thing. About drove me nuts. I finally ran it in the garage, went up to the offending rpm range and sure enough there was the rattle. Sounded like it was coming from the left (sitting on the bike) front side of the engine. So, had someone twist the throttle while I got down on my knees and attempted to find the noise. It sounded for all the world like it was behind the lower left fairing. And then, thank heavens, I happened to grab on to the left fork covers in order to brace myself to lean down farther. As soon as I grabbed the covers the noise stopped! Those stupid covers were vibrating at one rpm range and rattling!

Not seeing any way to tighten or adjust them, I just kind of pushed them around a bit until the noise stopped.

I can't believe how these noises disguise their location on these bikes. Could-a swore it was in the engine, but relieved that it wasn't.

You may want to try the same thing and see if it's coming from the fork area.

Good luck to ya!

to: LilBeaver

Thanks for the suggestions. I did recently change the oil and put in 10--40. A few days later I decided that maybe that oil was too light and replaced it with 20--50. I can't really tell any difference. I will take it to the Lewisville Dealer and have them check it out. According the the maintance schedule it is time to have the valve clearance chedked.

Thanks again