IGNORED

First ride in CA /First ride on a Harley

ablumny

The Story:

I travel on business all over N. America but rarely get to stop and see where I am and whats going on in the places I stay. I recently had an afternoon available in San Jose CA and decided I'd rent a bike. I convinced a friend of mine to take the afternoon off and the plan was set. He rides a Harley Ultra Glide or something like that and apparently its not all that easy to rent anything but a Harley so thats what I did, I rented an 06 Electra-Glide.

Renting:

The rental place was fun. Too older folks, Harley lovers, riders for sure, own the place but they were actually from the next town over from where I live back home so that was cool. Thier mechanic who takes you through a "pre-rent" check list was a young "its Harley or nothing" kind of bad-butt who thought he eyed me up correctly as being out of my element as a rider and no way I could handle this "very heavy" bike. Despite my explanantion that I ride a Venture of similar size and weight he insisted on talking to me like I was a newb and this'll probably be my last day on earth.....but here's the key anyway!

The Bike:

The bike wasnt a bad ride while it was rolling but at a stop, you could lose a filling it was vibrating so much. The transmission sort of loudly "snaps" into every gear, the controls are so far out of place (at least for me), I didnt like the signals being separated on the handle bar and the radio controls were unusable while riding (but the sound quality was great). The way the luggage covers opened was also a pain and a poor design in my opinion. I definitely dont like the keyless gigantic knobby looking think that you turn to start it. The gauges were nice and well placed and the stock seat was just fine. Power? I couldn't find it. Its big heavy bike (as heavy as a Venture) and Im a big guy, but still it didnt compare in any gear at any RPM to my Venture.

Overall it, despite all the bike observations, it wasn't as bad a ride as I expected. Id never spend the money to buy one ($23K base model) and was very happy to immediately jump on my Venture when I got back. I do have a slightly better respect for Harleys now :)

The Ride:

Our ride took us North from San Jose, East side of the Bay, on roads I cant remember but were beautiful. Saw San Quentin, Golden Gate Bridge, Pacific Coast Highway and places along the coast. Just amazing and I will do it all again !

The "wave":

My die-hard Harley riding friend and I joked all day about the "waving" policy of bikers. I asked if it;s ok as a Harley rider to wave to a non-Harley cruiser rider. Flat out "no"! (but with a smile). Certainly not to Gold Wing riders and sport bikes and while I wasnt sure I swear he turns his head whenever he sees a BMW :). I made the HUGE mistake of not only waving to every bike I passed but I waved to a Goldwing Trike! GASP. I though he'd abandon me right then and there!

A few pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/ablumny/NoCalHarleyRide#

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9EMyKcng_yA/Ss60ddy9h_I/AAAAAAAADCw/OhVOpCBl_v8/s640/IMG00141.jpg

Cool story, I am looking forward to getting a good ride in on the '79 Electra Glide I just got from my neighbor. It's never been about the brand to me, this actually is my 2nd Harley, the 1st one being an '86 1200 Sportster with an evo motor. Thats a beautiful stretch of road too, did hwy 1 on the left coast all the way up into Oregon. That was a VERY sweet trip

:thumbsup2:

Great story. I get tired of the "bashing" that goes on. My theory is you have to ride it, maintain, and explain it, it should be your choice. Actually though, I think in larger cities you can rent a Beemer just about as easy as a HD. I could be wrong. I sure like the looks of the new BMW LT.

;)

I think I could have rented a GoldWing but I wanted to try a Harley. Like I said, I wont go out and buy one but I wont let the personal anti Harley feelings continue...

and yes, PAcific Coast Highway (1) is beautiful and I only covered a small portion of it!

I had the same type of reaction to my first ride on a '09 Ultra glide at a test ride day at the local dealer. Was decent, but the first stop sign I came to, my vision blurred as the thing vibrated! :)

At almost any speed it was decently smooth, and I liked the protection of the close in bar mounted fairling. Power? I felt it was close to my '86 VR, and certainly enough for me on any reasonable ride, but with two up and a trailer, probably not.

Got back on my VR and felt like I was on a powerful sewing machine...so smooth in comparison.

I wave at everyone, most Harley guys wave back. Makes no difference to me, I like to ride, and enjoy it even if some others have to make a "statement". I don't feel it is against any rule to grin and smile and have a good time.