IGNORED

Road Star vs. Royal Star

Jeckel

I am looking for opinions from you Venture guys. I currently have an 06 Road Star, BAK, V&H Shortshots, Mustang, and a bunch of other bits and pieces of chrome. I have an older gentleman that is wanting to trade his 99RSV straight across for mine. Now, I love my Road*, but was looking for a Venture (or some other full dress bike) when I bought it. Here is how he describes his bike:

"99RSV,51k miles good rubber, runs strong, Dyna3k ignition, K&N filters, www tires (Metzlers) Road king mufflers, plus stock, passing lamps, visors,clear lenses. CB, am/fm, tape deck, criise control all work flawlessly"

The 51k is what worries me as mine only has 15K. I am wondering if this would be a good deal for me or if I would be better off keeping the Road*?

51,000 on a Venture is nothing, as long as it's been well taken care of (it probably has been). If this is the only factor to weigh in your decision, then ignore it and go for it.

There may well be other considerations in your decision to trade or not. Mileage alone should not be one of them.

Look at it this way: If you have only 15,000 miles on a three-year-old bike, then you haven't been riding enough. Get the RSV and you will ride much more often, for many more miles.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

ok, I have had the Road* for about 2 months, and it had 11k on it then. So, I do ride a fair amount, but want to be able to ride more distance. The longest Ive been on my bike is 600 miles to the bronze motorcycle rally.

ok, I have had the Road* for about 2 months, and it had 11k on it then. So, I do ride a fair amount, but want to be able to ride more distance. The longest Ive been on my bike is 600 miles to the bronze motorcycle rally.

I am guessing his bike is worth between 5k - 6k, I paid 5200 for a very similar bike, how much is your bike worth?

I am guessing his bike is worth between 5k - 6k, I paid 5200 for a very similar bike, how much is your bike worth?

NADA says mine is $7210 average retail and KBB says $7325. The RSV is NADA $5495 and KBB $7130. as you can see there is a BIG difference between the two sites for the RSV.

What really matters is what it is worth to YOU. :) I have a '99 with about 30,000 miles on it. It doesn't matter to me what it is worth because I have no intention of selling it anytime soon. If I WERE to sell it, I would be asking about $7500.00 for it. Doubtful I would get it but oh well....

Jeckel, I have an '06 Road Star Midnight and an '07 RSV. Even though I REALLY like the Roadie I've been advertising it for sale or trade for an RSV. (I really want to build a solo Star Glide. :hihi: ) I've also been looking around for RSV's and I've found a few 99's that sound just like that ad in the $5000 - $6500 range.

If it was >ME

:D

Having owned both I think I can give you a fairly objective opinion about these bikes. I probably won't tell you anything you don't already know but sometimes maybe we need to hear it again. I liked my roadie for what it was and that is a heavy cruiser. It was great for short rides but any long distance would really take its toll on the bod. Its not that it couldn't do it but the way you sit on it will soon let you know this is a cruiser not a tourer. Mine was very dependable and never let me down. However it does vibrate and for that reason and the fact that the passenger seat left somewhat to be desired did not make it a good two-up bike. Ground clearance wasn't very good either and it didn't take much to scrape the pegs. Good looks, good sound, good short ride.

Now the Venture. To me this is where you get the best of both worlds. This is a great looking bike that has touring capabilities with no sweat. Its easy to handle, has better ground clearance than the roadie, still has great looks, and shaft drive which is a big plus to me. Its still a lot of fun even on those short hops when you just need to get away for a while and it doesn't make you feel like you are wrestling Godzilla.

By now you know my preference. I'd go for the Venture and let the Roadie go but I'm not sure if I would go for an even swap-that ones up to you guys. Dutch:cool17:

Edited by dutch
got my conclusion backwards

I just picked up my 04 RSV for $7,000. The previous owner was in an automobile accident and lost a lot of use of his hands. It sat in his garage for over a year with only being started every 3 weeks. I got a steal. I drove from N. VA to Camden, SC and back in a day to get it, but it has been well worth the $ and effort. I have put 1200 miles on it in 2 weeks. I moved up from a V-Star, there is no comparison in a cruiser and the Venture.

Now if only people would stop looking at me funny when they see a 27 year old on a Venture. I could really careless though, I guess they just don't expect to see a "young" guy on one!

Ben

There are good deals out there on them, you just have to look. I found mine after a whopping 18 hours after deciding I wanted one!

Now if only people would stop looking at me funny when they see a 27 year old on a Venture. I could really careless though, I guess they just don't expect to see a "young" guy on one!

:sign06: Ben: I know exactly what you are talking about with the looks (24 here). I love every single one of them; just smile and wave back at them :big-grin-emoticon:. What gets me even funnier looks is when I ride with my friends that have sport bikes (and can keep up, no problem - except for the CBR F4i - that sucka is quick)...

:sign back to topic:

It is difficult to say without knowing more about the RSV. Has he had it since new? complete maintenance records? Reason for trade? etc.

BUT it really does come down to what YOU want because it is/will be YOUR bike.

Like others have said 51k is NOTHING to worry about. There is a member or two on here that have recently rolled over 200k (if I recall correctly) and MANY folks with many more than 51k.

If you are looking for a longer touring machine the RSV is no doubt the way to go (maybe my opinion is a little biased :D). But, if you are uncomfortable with the 51k then decline and keep your eye out for one with the colors and mileage that you like. Possibly one that is still under warranty (5 year, unlimited mileage).

Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup2:

That was a steal, how many miles did it have on it, paid $9500 for my 04 with 8800 miles and felt like I got a good deal.

Gregg

I just picked up my 04 RSV for $7,000. The previous owner was in an automobile accident and lost a lot of use of his hands. It sat in his garage for over a year with only being started every 3 weeks. I got a steal. I drove from N. VA to Camden, SC and back in a day to get it, but it has been well worth the $ and effort. I have put 1200 miles on it in 2 weeks. I moved up from a V-Star, there is no comparison in a cruiser and the Venture.

Ben

There are good deals out there on them, you just have to look. I found mine after a whopping 18 hours after deciding I wanted one!

bigboy, thank you for the reply, I think I have seen you on another MC forum? And dutch, thank you as well...

I'm here the most with the "Road Star Clinic" running a close 2nd and there are a half dozen others where I check in to see what's hap'nin. The more places I go, the more I know. :happy34: