IGNORED

opinions please

Ok here's what I need a little input on. I've changed over the forks on the '83 and put on R1 calipers. And they worked very well in Cody and over the BearTooth. I'm thinking about using an HH brake pad on the right caliper and a sinistered on the left. I do have one set of HHs, but thought I'd ask for some input before going out and buying something for the left. The HH will definately increase left stopping power, but do I need it on both sides?? Whatcha think.

Hey Jack,

I think it is an excellent Idea to match the pads on the two calipers that are linked. If you want to take the braking to the next level, then delink the front brakes from the rear. Stainless lines are iceing on the cake with this mod. If you need a list of parts or pics for the delink, let me know, I'd be happy to help! :thumbsup2:

Earl

I would change them all out to HH. I have a 89 that I rebuilt the stock calipers and master cylinders and changed out all hydraulic line to SS for Buckeye Performance. It has made a big difference on stopping as I can lock up both wheels if I am not careful. Luckily I took the advance safety class after the upgrade and was able to practice my braking under controled conditions and got the feel for what I need to do.

Go with HH all around and I think you wont regret it.

Rick F.

Hey Jack,

I think it is an excellent Idea to match the pads on the two calipers that are linked. If you want to take the braking to the next level, then delink the front brakes from the rear. Stainless lines are iceing on the cake with this mod. If you need a list of parts or pics for the delink, let me know, I'd be happy to help! :thumbsup2:

Earl

The stainless lines are something I've wanted to do.....but I just can't justify the bucks they want for the lines..... :mo money: The 4 piston R1 calipers definitely make a huge difference. I just think using HH's all around might do more harm than good by making the system too powerfull causing the brakes to lock up easier in a panic situation. Not that I'd ever get into an OS situation.... :)

What year R1 Calipers can we use and are they a direct Bolt-on?? Saw some not long ago but passed on them. Couldn't remember years that fit.
The R1's from about 1999 to 2003 are a direct bolt on for the MarkII's. On the MKI's you will need to swap out the forks and rotors with MKII's.

I both put on stainless lines and removed the hydraulic dampers on mine around 2002 or 3. It made a very big difference in the way the bike stopped. After that I could never understand why people would want to change their front end for the newer brakes as mine worked so well.This past spring I put on a front end from an 87 with very low miles for the electric dampers. With the newer brakes that I have now, I don't think it stops quite as well. I am using the pads that came with new forks so that could be the difference. I don't know.

Dick