IGNORED

Shinko Tourmaster 230 tires

Well, I decided to be the "test subject" for the new Shinko touring tires. My old Metzler 880's (which came on the bike when I bought it) were crappola. I've never seen a rear tire with such a "sawtooth" wear pattern. It's hard to describe, but I think you could use it as a large sawblade and cut paneling with it. The shop that changes my tires had never seen anything like it either. Rode ok in a straight line on smooth pavement, but curves weren't even fun anymore....bike vibrated like crazy with just a small amount of lean. Plenty of tread left but couldn't stand those tires anymore.

Anyway, I had my shop order and install the new Tourmaster 230's. I've only got about 100 miles on them so far but will be putting a bunch of miles on this coming weekend on our Southern Indiana trip. Thus far I am impressed. Smooth....quiet....seem to grip well. And SO responsive. The bike seems to know which way I want to turn before I do....just a small input on the handlebar and the bike responds instantly. I didn't realize how much effort it took to turn with the old tires on it. Granted, any new tire will seem to be great when compared to ones like I was running.

I will keep everyone posted on how these tires work out. At present you can order a set for the 2nd gens from Pinwall Cycle for $163 delivered anywhere in the USA. That's not a typo, $163 for BOTH front and rear.

I'll be interested to hear your report on the Joe. I have a set on my '89 and I am very happy with them so far, all the pluses that you have mentioned. Mine were delivered to my door for $119 if they get 10K out of them I will be very happy with that. Only issue with the 1st gen is I had to go with a 130 on the rear instead of the 140 that the bike came with. I really can't tell the difference in the sizes as far as feel on the bike.

I'll be interested to hear your report on the Joe. I have a set on my '89 and I am very happy with them so far, all the pluses that you have mentioned. Mine were delivered to my door for $119 if they get 10K out of them I will be very happy with that. Only issue with the 1st gen is I had to go with a 130 on the rear instead of the 140 that the bike came with. I really can't tell the difference in the sizes as far as feel on the bike.

Squidley. Did you order them from Pinwall also? tia

No, I didn't buy them from Pinwall, I bought them from Motorcycle Superstore

But now I just noticed that they offer the 140/90-16 which at the time I ordered they didn't have it...thats cool for the 1st gen guys.

I just checked the prices there for the G2's and the deal Joe got at Pinwall is better than at Moto Superstore theirs would be $174.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Tire-SET-150-80-16-150-90-15_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem56359d1fcaQQitemZ370266677194QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3313wt_1771

Take a look at the tread pattern on these babies. Really look aggressive compared to some others (like Metzlers) that almost look bald in comparison.

Those are what I put on my wife's VStar 650. They do really well. (Can you believe a 170 tire comes stock on the rear of it?) I did a lot of research (as usual when I'm about to buy something) and found that Shinko tires are made using patterns and formulas bought from Yokohama after the Japan earthquake destroyed the Yokohama factory. So basically it's a Yokohama tire. Darn good prices, too!

Well, I've got a Shinko Tourmaster 230 on the back of my Vmax with 5,000 miles and it needs to be replaced. Granted the RSV doesn't have the hp that the Vmax does but it does have the extra weight. I haven't done the first burnout with this tire and it definitely has not been abused. As far as ride, it's great!!! Quiet, sticky in the corners, and smooth. Just not a long wearing tire,IMHO. Probably won't be using this tire on the RSV. On the Vmax, good possibly.Just my :2cents: worth.