IGNORED

Drilling Stock Mufflers

Sounds awesome! I am leaning toward ditching the modding of my stock exhaust idea and going with the HD takeoffs. Now to dig through the couch cushions and find that loose change to pick em up! Thanks for the sound bytes.

I put some Harley OEM mufflers on mine and they only cost me $50 from a guy that used to run a small shop. Here is a short clip of what they sound like. I think they are just standard equipment on touring models and they sound even better going down the road.

• 6 months later...

Hey, let me be honest. After reading the great advice and viewing the pictures from the previous posts, I was cornfused twice as much as anybody. My 2007 Venture is a perfect candidate for the Barron's 4 to 2 to 4 Nasty Boy set up only problem is, I ain't got an extra $500 for the set of slip on's and another $200 for the cool tips. So I ponied up and bought a new Dremmel 3000 for $49 bucks and a Diamond Cutting Wheel for another $20 and some other reinforced metal cutting wheels and convinced myself if I screwed it up bad enough that I had an excuse to buy the Barron's. Got to have back-up. First problem I encountered was the diameter of the cutting wheel is larger than the exhaust tube in the center of the pipe so I just ground it down a little at a time until it was small enough to fit inside. She said tight ain't it baby, my reply was no ***** it's full!! Be prepared to kill a dozen or so of the standard fragile cutting wheels to begin with as the have no flexibility and will shatter before you know what happened, this is your training before you risk damaging the Diamond Wheel. I didn't bother measuring, I just started slowly cutting just before my Dremmel bottomed out or closed the exhaust hole off to leave me just enough room to see what was happening with the aid of a flashlight. Just when you get a good straight slice in the first wall which took about 20 minutes, you think this is easy as pie. Not so fast, there is a second even thicker wall to the tube and maybe I wasn't up in there far enough, (that's what she said). But I pressed on eventually getting one side done before I used up all of my discs except for the Diamond Special. After resuming the work a few days later and getting the other side cut free, you literally pry the loose tube inside over to one side and access more of the tube toward the front of the bike to get it clear as far as you can to one side and that's it. Can i tell you at idle not much difference, but you get on the road and open it up and it had to be a 30% gain in the sound. I just wanted to wind out each gear as far as I could stand to, over & over. I bought this bike because I was so impressed the way the 4 cylinder engine sounded in stock form when I test rode it, almost like a car. But now, I have no need for an exhaust upgrade so, I'm buying tires & brakes and fuel...Time to light the pipes & roll!!...GoFasturnLeft

Im 3rd owner and it looks like I have after market pipes. They say BUB on the cone. Any idea of how these compare to these mods people are talking about?

I got vance & hines on my old bike i sold to my neighbor, so i hear that amazing pipes all the time, makes me miss them. It gave my little 750 shadow a good deep throaty sound. My RSV is similar or slightly louder in volume but more like a roar, but not quite as throaty.

Im 3rd owner and it looks like I have after market pipes. They say BUB on the cone. Any idea of how these compare to these mods people are talking about?

I got vance & hines on my old bike i sold to my neighbor, so i hear that amazing pipes all the time, makes me miss them. It gave my little 750 shadow a good deep throaty sound. My RSV is similar or slightly louder in volume but more like a roar, but not quite as throaty.

Bubs were always the pipes everyone wanted, for the Venture they went two routes, a full system including header pipes and mufflers, they also offered just slip on mufflers. Every time I heard a Royal Star with set Bubs installed it sounded like a small block Chevy V8. They have a glass mat inside wrapped around the baffles, that glass mat tended to burn out over time and need to be replaced, when Bub was in business you could order a replacement kit from them and with a few hours work they were like brand new.

The V-4 on the Royal Stars will never sound like a V-twin, I preferred the sound of the V-4 over that of the V-twins myself. I had a full set on my 98 Tour Classic and got a lot complements on how the bike sounded.

Post some good detailed pictures of the mufflers and the header pipes and we should be able to tell you if you have the full package or just slip on mufflers.

Bubs were always the pipes everyone wanted, for the Venture they went two routes, a full system including header pipes and mufflers, they also offered just slip on mufflers. Every time I heard a Royal Star with set Bubs installed it sounded like a small block Chevy V8. They have a glass mat inside wrapped around the baffles, that glass mat tended to burn out over time and need to be replaced, when Bub was in business you could order a replacement kit from them and with a few hours work they were like brand new.

The V-4 on the Royal Stars will never sound like a V-twin, I preferred the sound of the V-4 over that of the V-twins myself. I had a full set on my 98 Tour Classic and got a lot complements on how the bike sounded.

Post some good detailed pictures of the mufflers and the header pipes and we should be able to tell you if you have the full package or just slip on mufflers.

Unfortunitly, I've never been able to successfully upload any pictures. I've resized them and dumbed them down but for some reason this forum doesn't like my pictures

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I was just curious if anyone had any videos of the different that cutting the pipes make? I have to do something to mine to increase the volume and I'm trying to figure out if I'd rather invest in some harley take offs or if I want to do this cut mod.

• Like 1