IGNORED

UPS shipping

Sideoftheroad

Got a couple estimates today to ship some parts (2 boxes) and was in sticker shock. To give an example, one box was 37 x 25 x 11 and actual weight 14 lbs. They put on the estimate 53 lbs billable weight for a cost of $36.50.

I went to usps.com and it says $68 for 5 day parcel post. I reduced the dimensions to see if it would give me a different cost. Narrowed it down to 36 x 24 x 11 and it gave me $17.00. Apparently 1" on 2 of the dimensions makes a difference.

The other box, UPS estimated cost of $33 and usps gave $17.00 for 5 day parcel post.

I am guessing UPS is charging by billable weight and not actual weight? Anyone know?

For a retail customer you are probably being charged dimensional weight if your package actual weight doesn't meet the minimum weight per cubic foot. You could have shipped 53 lbs for the same rate. For a business customer who ships a lot the rate may be negotiated to actual weights.

DT

Last time I went to UPS to ship something, I went away mad and used USPS instead. I was shocked at their horrendous prices. Besides the weight, they also charge you for the specific LxWxH measurements of the package! Best deal by FAR is USPS flat rate priority packages. The envelopes and boxes are free, and anything that fits costs the same price. The 8x10 envelopes are $5, and I think the smaller box is $9. They have two other larger boxes, but I have never priced them. Should be able to find all the info on the USPS web site.

Goose

Last time I went to UPS to ship something, I went away mad and used USPS instead. I was shocked at their horrendous prices. Goose

I agree. I don't think UPS wants to be in business. I don't use them period! Either to ship nor will I receive ANYTHING shipped to me by them. They have to deliberately damage the stuff I have received. I have had more stuff arrive crushed, smashed, destroyed from them than any other shipper. They just aren't worth it (time, money, paperwork, hassle). If I order something and the company refuses to ship by any other means I cancel the order and shop someplace else. My first choice is USPS and if too big/ heavy I use FedEx.

From my standpoint UPS is a bunch of crooks that should be put out of business. Any shipments from USA to Canada they bleed the crap out of us with a bunch of additional charges. I have canceled orders because the intended carrier was UPS. As I have said before they should be boycotted and I definitely practice just that!

I got my trunk rack from a Yammie shop in Seattle. They were supposed to ship it USPS but somebody screwed up and it came UPS. Cost me around $45 and a hassle. Nobody home when they brought it so I had to go thru a bunch of b/s just to get it delivered to my work. USPS would only have cost $15.

I called the Yammie shop about it...they were very apologetic and offered a credit on my next order.

Whenever I buy anything off the 'NET I make sure that it's USPS shipping.

I bought a used laptop from the states a few years ago. The brokerage fees were about 20%.

Wait, it gets better, they won't deliver to me because I live out of town, but for an extra fee they can drop it off at the UPS store in town.

That was the last time I have used there services.:2cents:

Both FedEx and UPS charges are based on a combination of size and wt. I don't know why anybody would be charged $45 to ship a trunk rack - sounds like someone was padding the bill to me. I know for a fact it wouldn't cost $45 in actual shipping costs for a box that size..unless you live in Hawaii or Alaska. But if you also charge a packing fee and a handling fee and call it all "Shipping" on the invoice..........then you could get to $45 pretty easy. And boost your profit at the same time.

I ship a lot of large but light boxes - 36 - 55" long but under 30 #'s. I hit the OS-2 and OS-3 catagories all the time. IMO - USPS is the rip-off. The flat rate boxes are fine & they do have 4 sizes - very tiny, tiny, real small and small. When i have a box to ship - I will price all 3 UPS, FedEx & USPS. I have found USPS to be only a little cheaper than FedEx on smaller boxes and much more expensive on larger boxes. USPS may be fine to ship a book or a small part, but for large packages either UPS or FedEx beats them on delivery time and price. I can go on-line, put in the info, get a price, print my labels and drop off the boxes the next day - much easier than hauling stuff into the Post Orifice and waiting in line. My customers can track the box so they know when to expect delivery, and on the few times I have had a shipment damaged, it's WAY easier to file a claim and get it resolved with FedEx than it is with either UPS or USPS.

As for getting stuff into Canada - FedEx is definitely a better way to go. They have their own customs brokerage set-up and I have never had a problem with them either getting something delivered or bogged down in customs. I shipped with USPS once - never again. With FedEx I can get a crate from WI to Calagary in 4 days and they bill my client directly for the Canadian taxes and fees.

I bought a used laptop from the states a few years ago. The brokerage fees were about 20%.

Was that all brokerage fees? Or were Canadian taxes added in there, too? You likely got a bill from the brokerage company which included all fees and taxes. You can specify your own broker for imports - some take a smaller bite than others. But you can't escape the tax man on imports - no matter which side of the border you live on. They charge you the same taxes as if you bought it in Canada and the brokerage house is just a tax collector for the Gov't. The USA does the same thing. So much for "free trade".

Wait, it gets better, they won't deliver to me because I live out of town, but for an extra fee they can drop it off at the UPS store in town.

UPS charges extra for a "non-business" or home delivery & a "fuel-surcharge" if you live out town here in the states, too.

Whenever I have shipped into Canada, the shipping cost is to the terminal or a business. Home delivery is always extra. You can probably avoid these fees if you use the postal system. Not sure I'd trust them to get a laptop to me in 1 piece.

That was the last time I have used there services.:2cents:

Yeah! That'll show 'em! :rotf: I'll see your :2cents: and raise you :2cents:.

I agree. I don't think UPS wants to be in business. I don't use them period! Either to ship nor will I receive ANYTHING shipped to me by them. They have to deliberately damage the stuff I have received. I have had more stuff arrive crushed, smashed, destroyed from them than any other shipper. They just aren't worth it (time, money, paperwork, hassle). If I order something and the company refuses to ship by any other means I cancel the order and shop someplace else. My first choice is USPS and if too big/ heavy I use FedEx.

At work we have a name for UPS aka united package smashers

You'll notice that many of those complaining about UPS are in Canada.

For international shipping from the USA, USPS Priority International is usually the least expensive, and least run-around for the recipient. And I ship large packages, like guitar boxes (length plus girth must be maximum 108 inches however) and there is a maximum on the insurance which varies by country.

In the USA, Usually UPS is cheaper. However, I always use a UPS company counter, not one of the UPS Stores (franchises) , which have add-on charges, and in particular, the insurance thru UPS Stores is much higher.

I have dealt with the last place that has UPS shipping only. Just bought 3 bottles of Ride on. Cost $37.00 shipping was $18.00 to Canada. I could live with that. However when it arrived it had a COD of $36.83 for UPS customs and the Canadian GST. Now it cost me more in shipping than the product itself. Can't see that happening again. USPS has never cost me anything near that. So much for free trade! UPS takes that away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah! That'll show 'em! :rotf: I'll see your :2cents: and raise you :2cents:.

Was that all brokerage fees? Or were Canadian taxes added in there, too? You likely got a bill from the brokerage company which included all fees and taxes. You can specify your own broker for imports - some take a smaller bite than others. But you can't escape the tax man on imports - no matter which side of the border you live on. They charge you the same taxes as if you bought it in Canada and the brokerage house is just a tax collector for the Gov't. The USA does the same thing. So much for "free trade".

I paid for the item + shipping at the time of purchase. Total COD charges were in excess of 30% of the total value.

At the time there was not much I could do except suck it up and politely pay the bill. Then I went home, stuck my face in a pillow and cried like a girl.:crying:

As for getting stuff into Canada - FedEx is definitely a better way to go. They have their own customs brokerage set-up and I have never had a problem with them either getting something delivered or bogged down in customs. I shipped with USPS once - never again. With FedEx I can get a crate from WI to Calagary in 4 days and they bill my client directly for the Canadian taxes and fees.

UPS has their own custom brokerage set up as well The cost was Brokerage fee $29.55 Tax on Brokerage fee $1.48 which accounted for most of the COD. This is on top of the $18.00 I prepaid to initially ship the item! The Canadian tax part was $5.80. Brokerage fees from USPS or Canada post have never amounted to that much ever. UPS are just crooks, simple as that!

I wonder if there is a minimum fee that the brokerage houses use? That could explain the high fees on relatively small items. :confused24: I don't even know how much the fees will be when I ship an item.

Well, I'll stick to FedEx - not sure if there any better, but if it's gotta cross the border and there's no mule handy, whadda ya gonna do? :think: I reckon they figure you're from Canada - you gotta be used to getting screwed by now, eh? :rotf:

And every day - be thankful I live south of the border. Adios, amigos.:Laugh:

UPS has their own custom brokerage set up as well The cost was Brokerage fee $29.55 Tax on Brokerage fee $1.48 which accounted for most of the COD. This is on top of the $18.00 I prepaid to initially ship the item! The Canadian tax part was $5.80. Brokerage fees from USPS or Canada post have never amounted to that much ever. UPS are just crooks, simple as that!

My experience with fedex has not been good as far as pricing goes. the service the same speed as USPS but on a 350 wheel chock from California cost me 75 bucks extra in brokerage fees. UPS charged me almost 40 bucks on a hundres dollar satellite radio combo.

Now I will refuse anything not shipped USPS/Canada Post from the states to my canadian address, as there is no hidden brokerage fees and it takes about 10 days to receive my goods. Occasionally, dependin on where the item is made there is customs fees but it never ever has the hidden charges that alll the so called premium couriers charge.

Over the last couple of years I have recieved a couple of parcels a month from the US and Ive tried every possible way to save the cash, and USPS is the best solution as far as I am concerned.

Brian

My experience with fedex has not been good as far as pricing goes. the service the same speed as USPS but on a 350 wheel chock from California cost me 75 bucks extra in brokerage fees. UPS charged me almost 40 bucks on a hundres dollar satellite radio combo.

Now I will refuse anything not shipped USPS/Canada Post from the states to my canadian address, as there is no hidden brokerage fees and it takes about 10 days to receive my goods. Occasionally, dependin on where the item is made there is customs fees but it never ever has the hidden charges that alll the so called premium couriers charge.

Over the last couple of years I have recieved a couple of parcels a month from the US and Ive tried every possible way to save the cash, and USPS is the best solution as far as I am concerned.

Brian

I agree totally. The Fedex part of my post was copied from a post by RED1. I was just using it to make a point. I beleive all the Couriers with their own custom brokerage houses would be priced higher than the post office