IGNORED

Continental Milestone Tires

Phoenix

In the market for a new rear tire and was curious if anyone has had any experience with the Continental Milestones.

Looking for how many miles you got out of them and how they handled on wet roads.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Phoenix

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after much consideration, I went with the Milestone for several reasons:

1. It has an impressive tread pattern that looks like it would do well on the wet roads.

2. It has a 990 lb load rating

3. New tread depth of 10.5/32

4. Lastly, it seemed like there was only limited review information on it and I figured someone ought to try it out to provide some feedback on this tire.

I'll post a review after I get a few thousand miles on it.

Phoenix

1. It has an impressive tread pattern that looks like it would do well on the wet roads.

4. Lastly, it seemed like there was only limited review information on it and I figured someone ought to try it out to provide some feedback on this tire.

Phoenix

Pictures???

Vendor?

Price?

Front, Rear or Both?

I looked at those several years ago - really wanted to try them, but they do not make a front tire in our size. Their fitment guide suggests putting on a rear tire mounted in reverse. I tried to contact the company with questions on that, since I have serious doubts about their claims of specially matched tread designs in one place, and then their suggestion that it really didn't matter some where else.

The company chose to never respond to me, so I chose to not buy their product.

Goose

Rear tire on front in reverse is a smart move no matter what brand of tire. Rear tires are more reinforced and have almost twice the tread so they will usually last at least twice as long as normal. In reverse because the tread designs on all directional bike tires are reversed between front and rear. I have heard of some that didn't reverse it and had no problems but braking should be better if it was reversed.

Maybe a smart move for you, but NOT for me.

Any tire in the proper load rating for the machine is technically as safe as any other, so any suggestion of reinforcement is meaningless to me. Tread patterns have a LOT to do with handling in different conditions, and on motorcycles, handling is where the safety or danger really lies. And your comments about tread design and the reason for reversing the tire are wrong. the tread patterns are NOT simply reversed; they are different - just looking at them will tell you that. The front treads are different shape for handling reasons. The rear tire is reversed when mounted on the front because of the way the belts overlap. Rear tires have their stress forces applied from the tire to the ground during acceleration, but front tires have the stress forces applied from the ground to the tire during braking. Reversing the tire keeps those stress forces applied to the belts in the same way. A little research on the tire manufacturer sites will tell you that.

You get to put what you want on your bike, but I'll stick with motorcycle tires mounted in the proper position on mine when riding on two wheels.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
clarify my comment on reversed tread pattern

I just looked at the Continental web site again for both of the tires they specify for our bikes. I find it interesting to note that they no longer specify mounting the "rear type" 150/80-16 backwards in the front. Instead, they have made a very subtle change and show the tires in that size (and ONLY that size) as Universal fitment instead of front or rear. Even so, they are either TL17 or CM2 tires, which are all labeled as rear tires in any other size.

I'm not saying that this is either good or bad, just an interesting note. Personally, I am still hesitant to not have the front tire tread design on the front, but I'd like to hear an evaluation of them from someone who has actually run a set.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

They do have a 130/90-16 and that will work. Thats the size I have on the front now.

tew47

Yes, I noted that, but after extensive testing, I have determined that the narrower front tire is a poor choice on this bike under most conditions, especially if the rear is raised. Before I went that route I'd think about putting an Avon Venom on the front and the Conti on the back.

Goose

Yes, I noted that, but after extensive testing, I have determined that the narrower front tire is a poor choice on this bike under most conditions, especially if the rear is raised. Before I went that route I'd think about putting an Avon Venom on the front and the Conti on the back.

Goose

I was wondering if anyone was still having a problem with cracks developing on the sidewalls of their Avons. I had a set mounted in July and noticed a crack in the sidewall on the rear tire the other day. I haven't gotten to Amarillo to see about getting it replaced yet.

I also picked up a nail in the front tire and I am kind of a chicken about riding with the front tire plugged so I guess I will buy a new front tire also.

Maybe a smart move for you, but NOT for me.

Any tire in the proper load rating for the machine is technically as safe as any other, so any suggestion of reinforcement is meaningless to me. Tread patterns have a LOT to do with handling in different conditions, and on motorcycles, handling is where the safety or danger really lies. And your comments about tread design and the reason for reversing the tire are wrong. the tread patterns are NOT simply reversed; they are different - just looking at them will tell you that. The front treads are different shape for handling reasons. The rear tire is reversed when mounted on the front because of the way the belts overlap. Rear tires have their stress forces applied from the tire to the ground during acceleration, but front tires have the stress forces applied from the ground to the tire during braking. Reversing the tire keeps those stress forces applied to the belts in the same way. A little research on the tire manufacturer sites will tell you that.

You get to put what you want on your bike, but I'll stick with motorcycle tires mounted in the proper position on mine when riding on two wheels.

Goose

First of all, when it comes to doing something different from the norm everyone needs to research it and make their own decisions. If you don't think it's a good idea then you don't need to do it. But you can't tell me I'm wrong in my explanation when I'm not.

I'm not disagreeing on the belts, I just didn't go into that part of it. And that explanation is part of the reason to reverse a rear on front. But I will disagree with you on the tread patterns being different on the front. On many tires they are the same front and back. As you said, "just looking at them will tell you that". Take a look at the pics below. Sure, some tire models use different patterns front to back. Some use the same pattern and add a center groove. But more use the same pattern front and back.

And the tread direction is a major reason for reversing. On the rear it's optimized for acceleration where it's reversed on front to optimize braking.

The rear being reinforced and a higher load rating is just a bonus.

The extra tread depth is the main reason that most Darksiders put rears up front. It gives us a tire that will closer match the car tire in tire life. And most report better handling but that's probably from having a new tire.

But like you said, we all get to run what we want. In my case I'll run the better handling, longer lasting, lower priced and safer tires.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:2w2Ku50FqedkVM:http://www.tire-information-world.com/images/treadwear-rating-on-motorcycle-tires-34641.jpg http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ylW-NAkK-RuFcM:http://www.ibspro.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/motorcycle_tire.jpg http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:d4tzDMRVUXGQoM:http://www.compacc.com/images/product/200/13027_1.jpg http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:n2e7yAY4zwnsnM:http://www.motorhelmets.com/pics-products/irc/bodyparts-motorcycle-tires-irc-scooter-ss-530.jpg

I guess you're of the opinion that CT's and reversed MT's are unsafe. That's your opinion and it's good that you have one... even if it's wrong. :thumbsup2:

Yes, they are unsafe, particularly the car tire on a motorcycle. But like you said, "That's your opinion and it's good that you have one... even if it's wrong."

Goose

Folks...there are people on both sides of the car tire issue that feel very strongly about whether or not it is a good idea, safe, not safe, etc. Those who choose to run a car tire got very upset that they couldn't discuss their various configurations without others here jumping in on the conversation and expressing their opinions that it is NOT safe to do.

Because of those heated arguments, I created a forum especially for these "darksiders" to discuss their experiences.

So now I ask that it NOT be debated here.

Folks...there are people on both sides of the car tire issue that feel very strongly about whether or not it is a good idea, safe, not safe, etc. Those who choose to run a car tire got very upset that they couldn't discuss their various configurations without others here jumping in on the conversation and expressing their opinions that it is NOT safe to do.

Because of those heated arguments, I created a forum especially for these "darksiders" to discuss their experiences.

But Boss, he ASKED! (blubber blubber . . .)

Just joking with you - of course you are right, and I should not have allowed myself to be goaded into that response. But you did make me think about the subject a bit more - I have completely avoided making any sort of comment on the darksiders forum because I know they don't want me there - their minds are as closed about the subject as mine is, just for different reasons. BUT, that means there is absolutely no place for someone with an OPEN mind to get good balanced information on the subject before they get persuaded to just jump in and try it. I guess I'll just have to start watching that forum and provide some responses when the questions are being asked by someone who actually seems to want opinions on both sides.

But I'll do my best not to respond to the subject out here any more!

Goose

Not a problem. I usually try to move it over to the Darksiders section when it becomes a debate but I failed to do so this time.

And I won't add to the debate with this post like Goose did either. :whistling:

All I'll say is, "Goose, you're welcome to the Darksiders section anytime!"

• 9 months later...

Phoenix

Ok, it's been a while. Whacha think about the Milestones? I'm in the market for a rear tire for my RSV. Been thinking about a Michelin Commander, but I see Jakewilson.com has the Milestonefor the same price as the commander. The load range for the Milestone is greater than the Commander, so I'm leaning toward the Milestone. But wonder about experiences good or bad?

ok, glad to see we are back on track on tires in this thread.

I am also interested on riders experience on the Continentals. I have heard and browsed on Commanders on the internet, but I think this is the first time I am hearing about the Milestone. My original front Bridgestones is getting low (16K miles) and may not pass the next PA. Safety Inspection, so I am shopping for a front tire. As far as the tread pattern is concerned, I think Continentals have a unique pattern of all.