-10С more than 30 miles

Canada
    NS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As soon as black ice is a concern or I'm just not enjoying it anymore because I'm too damned cold.

Whichever comes first.

Canada
    NB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the salt comes out on the roads!

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When It freezes the moonshine!
    Jay
    Patriot Guard Rider #18267
    '01 RSV......08 Hannigan RSV, 69' Buick GS 400 Conv.
    " Never ride faster than your angel can fly"
    Hidden Content

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was born with ride weather monitors protruding from my chest muscles.. When the weather is right for riding the monitors are soft, when not they get hard like two little frozen peas..
    They will soften up if it's cold and I put a shirt on, which I have had to do in the past to get home to the safety of my warm garage.
    Remembering my brother and friend:
    "I'm not Yammer Dan" - Yammer Dan
    Proverbs 18:24 - "There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother"..
    Miss you bro - Puc
    Life is just one step after another..on a rocky hill side-Sly

United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

coldest I rode was 17 degrees, when I lived up state NY ( Adirondacks )

Canada
    BC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meet my buddy Paul Mondor

8. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    Canada
    NS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO it all boils down to experience and rider comfort. And I don't mean how cold the boys get because when riding in cold weather it SHOULD BE common sense to dress the part but just in case remember to dress the part and don't forget about wind chill. My Royale convert will see cold weather this year and in years past the Sportster only came in the living room when there was snow on the roads. Black Ice is something to look out for more so on a bike than a car. Remember some drivers can't even control a car when the roads are slick so watch out for them also.

Everyone has brought up a combination of things to consider and I think all are great points. If you want to ride in the cold/wet/snow and you have never done it. Remember to dress for the conditions and on your first few rides take it slow and take short trips. I remember when I was 15 and took my 1st turn over 20mph on a big boy bike. I went so wide I ended up in the grass one the outside of the turn. I learned to counter steer and to not be afraid to lean deep. Now 25 years latter I can take the Hayabusa around a tight 90 turn @ 30-40mph.

Take it slow learn how your ride handles in the weather and rain or shine you can be out on the bike. For me when snow hits I break out the road legal Pit Pike and keep on trucking. Its normal for me to do 20K a year or more combined on bikes and the car (when I have one) gets maybe 3k a year if its lucky.

12. Likes videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    AL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: when is it too cold to ride

I use to live in Chicago while I was going to school. I got my first bike (Honda 450 nighthawk). No wind screen living on a student's income. Had to use that bike alot no matter the weather. Had to at times sit at the stop light, pull my gloves off and stick my hands on cylinder just to warm them up.

I won't ever go that cold again. But I have found that if I bundle up good then I can handle most weather. I avoid freezing temps though due to ice concerns and won't ride in snow at all.

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Re: when is it too cold to ride

I don't like to ride too much below 37 38 degrees. It makes a big difference if the sun's out or not. For me living in the snow belt 45 degrees in the fall is a lot colder than 45 degrees in the spring if you know what I mean.

United States
    SD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if there is a limit to how cold it can be while still riding. I've ridden in sunny dry but below 0. Thats mighty cold my friends. If you have the right gear, even heated gear and the roads are clear then it's a personal judgement call. If the roads are wet then I stay above 40f and dont go far. Here elevation and temp changes can come up on ya right quick and freeze the ground right under you. Trees shade areas and leave patches of ice on otherwise clear roads. Lots to think about.

IMHO mixing freezing temps with wet is a hard no, the cost and likelihood failure is high. If your freezing while riding your more likely to make a mistake, that sort of freeze fatigues a rider pretty fast. I've been stuck in pucker-factor 9 trying desperately to keep the wheels in the tiny little grooves cars cut through the frost and snow. I hope to never have to do that again.

I have done some very long trips in some nasty weather, nothing left to prove. If in doubt I take the cage and live to ride another day. So my own guidelines are 40 deg if wet, as cold as I can stand it if it's dry.

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode to work yesterday morning - 62 miles at 33 F. Used my snowmobile pants under chaps and my normal cool weather jacket with the snowmobile gloves. Was a GLORIOUS ride. But we have had our couple bouts of rain to wash the salt off the roads, and today, its scheduled for some higher winds and rain, despite being a little warmer today, I drove in with the jeep rather than my RSTD. Mostly as I know it wouldn't be fun dodging tar snakes with the wet and wind today.
    On the other hand, last month we had a few days of -30 F to -20 F and I saw a imo 'crazy' (or is it 'death wish'?) - biker out on the road in that with enough snow on the ground my jeep was complaining.
    As many before said, cold is relative to your experience and I must say comfort to control ratio - with the proper gear cold isn't much problem for the bike or you, but you have to think out your gear vs the conditions with the speeds you will be going.
    Wind chill from your speed is just as bad as anything else. My .

JB

United States
    PA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess we can also ask, 'When is it safe to ride'? I may ride with temps down to 20°F as long as frost is not on the ground. Day time riding at 20°F with lots of Sun is perfect. Night time riding at 20°F can be tricky. If I know that it will be dark by the time I get home, I usually take my van to be safe.
    '07 Venture
    Keep On Riding!

United States
    PA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RLM View Post
    I don't like to ride too much below 37 38 degrees. It makes a big difference if the sun's out or not. For me living in the snow belt 45 degrees in the fall is a lot colder than 45 degrees in the spring if you know what I mean.
    Fall temps is finally here in our area. After today and tomorrow’s rain, we will have low 50’s in the morning. To me that is just perfect Fall riding temperature. As you have mentioned, 37° with or without Sun is just fine as long as there is no wind chill factor. Anything over 10 mph of wind in our area below 40° is a ‘No Ride’ for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '07 Venture
    Keep On Riding!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345