Is there a 'tech thread' to adjust valves on the first generation bikes? I do see the one for second generation. Is there a shim travel kit around I could share in....even better if there is one around for Canadian members? Thanks.

Once you have the front lower fairing pieces off and pulled the carbs... you just pull the valve covers off... you will probably need two new valve cover gaskets and 16 bolt grommets. There IS a kit floating around the US... don't recall who "runs it"...

You may be able to pull this off with the carbs in place but it's SO much easier...

I have one of the kits in the US. There are several. I think there's one in Canada, but am not sure who has it. I'm going to be using the kit I have in a few days, but could send it or a partial kit to you when I'm done. You may get into customs/VAT issues though.

Thanks for the replies. I'm having some running issues...see my thread some time ago. Finally got to doing a cylinder leak down test....#2 cyl is leaking into intake and showing lower compression so I am suspecting a tight intake valve(s). Both #1 and #2 are showing some leakage into crankcase also. But my issue was with #3 and #4 cylinders and they are testing good???? So I am wondering. I will post a separate thread to request a Canadian travel shim kit.

• 5 years later...

It's possible to remove and install shims without the hassle of removing the carbs. A bit tricky on some of the inside valves, but patience will win the day. You will need the special tool to compress the lifters, and a small magnet on the end of a rod to lift out and insert shims. I bought the shims I needed from PartShark. I think they were around 2$ each?

I have a kit, but Brenner has it at the moment,,, he's long done with it so you could PM him and see how to get it from him. I know locally here, if I bring in 4 shims to Brantford MC, they'll exchange them for what I need,,,, don't know how your relationship is with your local dealer.

I just finished doing my valves, I never felt that the carbs were in the way at all.

I did not remove the radiator, but I did take out the mounting bolts and let it hang on the hoses. This is not for clearance to get to the valves but for room to get the valve cover in and out. I can see where it would be easier to get the front valve cover in and out if you took the radiator out completely. Half of the job is removing all the stuff to get to the valves.

It is not a difficult job to do, but it is very time consuming, this is why it is so expensive at a dealer.