Putting my 83 back together yesterday was going quite well. When trying to start it, the positive cable started smoking. Upon closer inspection, I could see it needed replacing some time ago. Any idea where to get one with the main fuse cord and all that??

Putting my 83 back together yesterday was going quite well. When trying to start it, the positive cable started smoking. Upon closer inspection, I could see it needed replacing some time ago. Any idea where to get one with the main fuse cord and all that??

Now would be a good time to up-grade your cables to 4 gauge. The starter will spin much easier than with the to small of gauge standard wire. Some one on this forum makes these up and sells them but I just bought a long battery cable for another vehicle from Walmart and some small copper end lugs, cut the cable to length for both cables and then soldered on the lugs. I cut the old main fuse wire off of the old cable and soldered it back onto the new when installing the lugs. It's been a long time since I did mine but if I remember right it cost me about 10 or 12 dollars. I'm sure prices have gone up since then though.

Dick

I somehow knew I maybe making something custom for this. That seems to happen alot with these bikes.

No no, the originals are available from Bike Bandit.com for 43.00 and change each. Since you have to change it anyway I just thought you may like one twice as good for less than a quarter the price since it is apparent that the original is not up to carrying the load.

Dick

You need to change the ground cable also. Even the original cable shouldn't be smoking like that. Smoking is reserved for the rear tire when you're beating a Hayabusa off the line! Send a PM to Skydoc17, Earl may have some knowledge on who does the upgraded cables if you don't want to do it yourself.

I would seriously take a good long hard look at your starter, you may have a bit of a problem there.

Dan

I have actually seen the results of a fried positive cable three times, once the positive cable insulation had "rubbed thru" and grounded on the frame and twice I've seen a starter motor with the brushes shot (worn down to a nub) pull so many amps that it melted the positive wire. I have also seen a piece of metal drop on the positive terminals of the starter solenoid and do the same thing. If you have checked the positive cable and there are no bare spots, and you didn't drop a wrench on the starter solenoid I would be looking at the starter, remove it, blow all the dust out of it and check the brushes.

Lonestarmedic made up the last batch of 4 gage cables and they were not cheap, but the quality of these cables is the best I have ever seen. You could jump start a tank with them! I put a set on my 87'VR and my bike starts first time, everytime. If he still has any left,(they went like hotcakes) you will not be disapointed i assure you.:thumbsup2: I have a good used starter if you need it.

Hope this helps,

Earl

At the cost of Copper wire these days, you will be surprised at the price per foot for #4 cable. Figure it carefully, it might be cheaper to just order new stock cables from a dealer. Copper is up to about $2.90 a lb. on the commidty markets. :(

You will need about 6' of # 4 gage mulit strand (battery/welding) cable & 6, 4 gage copper end caps with a 1/4" hole. Both +&- cables measure about 31" & 6" from solinoide. Solder all end caps. :canada::canada::canada:

lonestarmedic used to make and sell the upgraded cables on here. Not sure if he still does. I got some and IMO they are a must for the first gens. I used to have trouble starting mine when it was hot. Now it starts easily no matter what. They came with the main fuse wire and an extra accessory wire fully soldered ready to go for I think $40 when I got mine.

I think I'll remove the starter and have a look. It's always been a little slow. The strands on the battery cable were looking like they had been damaged, but that could have been from burning. I may just make a cable and get the starter checked out. There is a guy here locally that rebuilds starters. Sure wouldn't hurt to have it checked out.

I wouldn't worry about having someone rebuild the starter. I tore the one off my '84 down and cleaned the insides up, installed a new set of brushes, added an extra ground wire to the brush plate and cleaned up the armature and made sure the grooves were clear if a small jewelers saw. Put it back together with a little lube on the bushings.

It's been performing better than ever over the last year. I did add the heavier cables and just changed out the lead/acid battery for a DEKA AGM this spring. The bike now has NO starting problems at all and the old hot start issue is long gone. Hot or cold.....no problem.

Believe me, if you can bend a wrench well enough to get the thing out of the bike........you can do the starter yourself. It's a pretty simple device. The bear is getting it off the bike onto the bench.