IGNORED

1st GEN speaker upgrade

Your best bet is going to be:

Go to an audio car store. Check what are they willing to do in your bike.

If that doesn't work, then put an hitch tow on your bike, attach a car with all the audio system already install and tow it.

The upgrade I did was install 4" polypropilene cone and works perfect.

Of course, I don't try to hear any opera on my bike.

Regards,

calperin

southfield, mi

:225:

Hello,

I'm looking for the same info. Do the 4" speakers fit right in or require mods? Did they improve your sound quality? Are they special for outdoor exposure, or just car speakers? Any other opinions on how automotive poly cone speakers will hold up over time in the bike dash? How about 2-way speakers?

Finally, does anybody have a slick way to mount rear speakers?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I replaced my stock speakers with some aftermarket Kenwood coax speakers and it does improve the highs, but with a full face helmet it still lacks something. Yes, standard 4" car speakers fit right in. As far as the rears go, I'm looking for a set of weatherproof small boxes to mount alongside the pasenger backrest, but havern't come up with any as of yet. I have a pair of metal box ones but they are a little big. As far as kicking up the bass a notch, well, if you don't use your trunk, that would work as a subwoofer box (I use mine for cargo), or you can try out whatr is called a ribbon speaker but you are not going to get earyth shaking lows out of them...

I have thought of hollowing out the seat bottom and mounting an 8" subwoofer firing downwards, which should at least vibrate my butt a little...

Best bet is a good set of stereo headphones that you can mount inside your helmet...

• 2 months later...

I just bought some Pioneer TSG1041R 4" 2-way speakers for the dash of my 87. I only had time to install one. I was able to do it through the blinker hole without removing any fairing pieces, only the blinker, although one nut was a bugger to get to. It fit perfectly, and I had a chance this morning to compare the new one on the right to the old one on the left. I had hoped for a dramatic improvement, which I would say it fell short of. The new speaker actually seems to put out slightly less total volume than the old. However, the highs are MUCH better (there really aren't any highs with the old speaker) and the overall sound is decidedly clearer; the old one sounds muddy.

Jeremy

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go to Bose web site look under marine. They have a set that look like they will fit and are water proof.

I put a set of Bose in my 84 when I was in the Philippines and put the control box on the fork tree behind the faring. sounded good and servived the monsoons in both Philippines and Japan. The ones on Bose web site look like they'll do alot better and without the control box. I was thinking about putting them on the 88 front.