IGNORED

Fan - 2003 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Hi everyone,

A thought that has come to mind after a colleague of mine had some issues with his Honda VTX on a trip.....

I have never heard my fan come on, running or after shut down, regardless of how hot it has been outside, how long of a trip I have been on, etc.. I have never had any mechanical issues but wondering from others how often their's run, etc.

Thanks

Trevor

I cannot seem to find it (since searching for "fan" does not work), but there was a thread about this (and testing the fan) within the last couple of months.

A few of us that live and ride in the Texas heat had mentioned that we only notice ours come on every once and a while.

Personally, I think I can count on one hand how many times I have heard/felt it come on. (All of which I was stopped in traffic in 100+ degree heat).

I cannot seem to find it (since searching for "fan" does not work), but there was a thread about this (and testing the fan) within the last couple of months.

A few of us that live and ride in the Texas heat had mentioned that we only notice ours come on every once and a while.

Personally, I think I can count on one hand how many times I have heard/felt it come on. (All of which I was stopped in traffic in 100+ degree heat).

Thanks LilBeaver.

Good to know. The heat up here north of Toronto Ontario Canada is no Texas but it has been hot.

Response is greatly appreciated.

I've never seen or heard my fan come on before but recently while synching the carbs up, I thought I had felt a huge exhaust leak from my left front jug.. oh wait, that hot air is from the fan!! Ahhh.. it does work..

An electrician friend of mine said he might be able to hook up a LED light as an indicator when ever the fan came on.. dunno why I'd want that.. ? lol

My fan only comes on when im usually stuck in traffic when the temps are up there in the 90's or more. Last year it was coming on all the time. This winter I replaced the thermostat and sensor along with some hoses and all is fine now.

My fan only comes on when im usually stuck in traffic when the temps are up there in the 90's or more. Last year it was coming on all the time. This winter I replaced the thermostat and sensor along with some hoses and all is fine now.

is that a hard job to do? With everything else going weird on this bike, it might be a precaution I should undertake if the task isn't too hazardous..

Cheers

is that a hard job to do? With everything else going weird on this bike, it might be a precaution I should undertake if the task isn't too hazardous..

Cheers

I seriously doubt that your 2006 would need a thermostat change and if it did, its covered under warranty. Its a real bear to get to the thermostat housing without removing many parts, including the radiator. Its tucked way up under the neck and it is a real pain to remove and get back innto place.

this may be something i should look into. the previous owner put a switch in line with my fan. he said run it if you want, run it now & then or leave it off. i did not give it another thought. when i turn the switch to on - the fan will run until i turn off the switch or the ignition. since it shouldbe a temp sensor turning it on or off, that makes me wonder if i have something else going on with my cooling system.

any thoughts?

Dale in La

I seriously doubt that your 2006 would need a thermostat change and if it did, its covered under warranty. Its a real bear to get to the thermostat housing without removing many parts, including the radiator. Its tucked way up under the neck and it is a real pain to remove and get back innto place.

Next time I'm in Maine to get my shock replaced, I'll mention this to the tech to see if they can do a service test or check to see if it's indeed 100% serviceable or not.. and change it if needed.. better safe than sorry..

Thanks M8

Hi everyone,

A thought that has come to mind after a colleague of mine had some issues with his Honda VTX on a trip.....

I have never heard my fan come on, running or after shut down, regardless of how hot it has been outside, how long of a trip I have been on, etc.. I have never had any mechanical issues but wondering from others how often their's run, etc.

Thanks

Trevor

Trevor was at the house to synching the carbs, check the brakes and low and behold the fan turned on. No problem with his thermostat or fan, maybe one with his slow mechanic (only my 3rd carb synching, still learning :think: ).

Another beer for the Squid :thumbsup2:

:beer: