IGNORED

Ipod remote control-- how do YOU do it?

SaltyDog

I recently received a PM from another member wanting to know how I remotely controlled my Ipod while riding. He was interested in some pictures and information on the solution I used and if it could be operated with glove. Below are a couple of pictures of the solution I have used for a couple of years without any complaints.

I use a Griffin AirClick with my 4th generation 40Gb Ipod with the unit set on shuffle. I can operate the remote with my riding gloves to control the volume and play/pause the music when stopping. The buttons are alittle small for winter gloves though... I strapped the remote unit on the clutch reservoir to make it handy while riding.

I put the Ipod in my fairing glove box and have it connected to a 12v plug to provide continuous power. I also ran a headphone extender out of the fairing to plug in my EarFuze earphones (great fitting units!). With this setup, I can keep the Ipod out of sight and the effects of weather.

How do you keep the iPod from vibrating to death? My 30Gb 5th Gen will lock up due to the vibration of the bike. The little hard drives in these things just don't like vibration. One of these days I'm going to buy a little iPod nano just for the bike. No hard drive in those.

I have a older 4th generation Ipod and I installed a newer upgraded hardrive a couple of years ago. It is one of the things I really like about the Ipods, the availablity of repair/replacement parts. All the circuit boards, battery and display can be replaced if necessary. The hard drive (Hitachi) I found was advertised as a improved design released by Hitachi to address just this situation of vibration. It was easy to replace and hasn't given me any problem in over three years of riding in my pocket, tankbag and right fairing pocket of my bikes. I use this Ipod when I ride any of my 4 motorcyles, on the highway or off-road.