IGNORED

Automotive fuel filter replacement?

While I dont remember the number from that far back when I had my 83 I do remember rerouting the hoses so the filter was located just inside the frame behind the passenger floorboard. It was a metal filter with a 3/8 end. Maybe 1 1/2" in diameter. Sure made changing the filter easier. Any size that will fit the line will do fine.

When I compared the NAPA 3007 to the original filter, the 3007 had a larger diameter. Because of this, I couldn't start the screw that closes the clamp. I also found that a 3027 was listed as a possible replacement. That fits a lot of 70 & 80s Fords, however when I picked up the Purolater equivelant, it was quite a bit smaller (diameter). I thought about what I could wrap the smaller filter with to allow it to be clamped with the original bracket. I thought about using a wire tie (aka Ty-wrap). I decided it'd be much better to use the larger 3007, and eliminate the movable part of the clamp. Then use a Ty-wrap to attach the filter to the stationary bracket half, and add a 2nd Ty-wrap around the barrel of the fuel filter so that it wouldn't slide out towards the rear of the bike. Now it's mounted firmly.

My brother owns my old 83 now. I still take care of it for him, so next time it comes to town I'll see if I can read the number on the replacement filter I installed on that. It fit in the bracket properly.

Frank