Wondering if anyone else has had problems with pre-mature H.O. RM Stator failures. Attached pics are of RM Stator installed less than 9 months ago (~10k miles). No warning on the failure... all systems go until voltage dropped to 12V during a PGR ride. Coil resistance measured .1-.3 across the three output wires.

[ATTACH]33833[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33835[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33834[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33832[/ATTACH]

Wondering if anyone else has had problems with pre-mature H.O. RM Stator failures. Attached pics are of RM Stator installed less than 9 months ago (~10k miles). No warning on the failure... all systems go until voltage dropped to 12V during a PGR ride. Coil resistance measured .1-.3 across the three output wires.

[ATTACH]33833[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33835[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33834[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33832[/ATTACH]

It's not so much the amount of time the stator is installed but how many hours the engine has run. Never-the-less, 10,000 miles is not much. With this said, the first thing that stood clearly out was that the coils are well overheated. Even though the pictures are laying sideways you can clearly see what part of the Stator was on top and what part was on bottom. This is caused by lack of cooling oil being sprayed onto the stator. All it is getting is what is running down on the bottom half of the stator from the hole in the end of the crankshaft. You probably have an 83 as after that model this problem was repaired. A kit was sold with a bent wire and a plate that attaches to the crankshaft and then slings the oil more efficiently over the entire stator.

Dick

It's not so much the amount of time the stator is installed but how many hours the engine has run. Never-the-less, 10,000 miles is not much. With this said, the first thing that stood clearly out was that the coils are well overheated. Even though the pictures are laying sideways you can clearly see what part of the Stator was on top and what part was on bottom. This is caused by lack of cooling oil being sprayed onto the stator. All it is getting is what is running down on the bottom half of the stator from the hole in the end of the crankshaft. You probably have an 83 as after that model this problem was repaired. A kit was sold with a bent wire and a plate that attaches to the crankshaft and then slings the oil more efficiently over the entire stator.

Dick

I donnno...??? The damage pattern being only on one half of the stator doesn't make sense. Unless the motor stopped in the exact same position every time. There is a mod for the '83's to cool the stator better, and they can be found on Ebay every once in a while. I have one just in case, but haven't had to crack the 83's stator cover yet. With that damage only to one half of the windings, and the stator being the latest, I wonder if it might be bad windings. If it were heat related the whole stator would show damage. Also the white wire ohms being .1 to .3 instead of .3 straight acrossed shows that there could be a short?? Just my thoughts.... :)

I don't need. PM me if you need/want it. I paid $20 on Ebay

Prop's profile shows he has an '89 so it isn't needed. I already have one for my '83, but maybe another member might like to pick it up?? A lot of the '83's were fixed by the factory when they first came out and the mod may very well be installed already, but if you don't know $20 bucks is cheap insurance just in case.

I donnno.

..???

The damage pattern being only on one half of the stator doesn't make sense. Unless the motor stopped in the exact same position every time. There is a mod for the '83's to cool the stator better, and they can be found on Ebay ev

ery

once in a while. I have one just in case, but haven't had to crack the 83's stator cover yet. With that damage only to one half of the windings, and the stator being the latest, I wonder if it might be bad windings. If it were heat related the whole stator would show damage. Also the white wire ohms being .1 to .3 instead of .3 straight acrosse

d shows

that there could be a short?? Just my thoughts.... :)

The stator does not revolve. It is stationary and fits over the rotor with the magnets in it and it is what revolves. When the motor isn't fitted with the mod the oil only runs out and down onto to bottom half of the stator while the engine is running. This oil, although hot. still has a cooling affect on the parts of the stator that it comes into contact with. This is how I am sure that this is an 83 and has not had the mod done. By the top half overheating, the varnish on the coils gets to hot, melts and lets the bare wires make contact. That is what is now shorted. I've seen the exact thing to many times on 83s.

Dick

The stator does not revolve. It is stationary and fits over the rotor with the magnets in it and it is what revolves. When the motor isn't fitted with the mod the oil only runs out and down onto to bottom half of the stator while the engine is running. This oil, although hot. still has a cooling affect on the parts of the stator that it comes into contact with. This is how I am sure that this is an 83 and has not had the mod done. By the top half overheating, the varnish on the coils gets to hot, melts and lets the bare wires make contact. That is what is now shorted. I've seen the exact thing to many times on 83s.

Dick

Oh yeah... now it's becoming clear...er. Bear with me guys..it's an OF symptom.. :)

But... unless I've missed something the motor's not an '83, but an '89. It shouldn't have a heating problem.

I had a stator from RM stator. It lasted just one month, I think it was in 2006, May to June. All I do is commute to work and back, maybe 80 miles / day so a month would be say 20 x that so 1600 miles max, assuming no rain days. It just quit working on the way home one day. I was ticked at having to do the job twice!

I found out that RM stator is re selling product from electrosport in the US.

I phoned electrosport and they honored their warranty on the stator no arguments. I shipped it to California, they tested it and then shipped me back a new one. Good service but it took a month round trip.

My bike would have been off the road all that time, had I not had a used OEM stator that I'd bought on EBAY for $15. Actually I bought the stator cover and the stator was included condition unknown. I put it in and crossed my fingers. I got lucky.

That old OEM stator is still in service and doing fine. (fingers are still crossed, knock wood yada yada yada)

If and when it happens again, I am going to buy an OEM one I think. I never noticed any advantage to the supposedly High Output aftermarket one. I've not ruled out having my failed one rewound and did stirke a deal with RM stator to rewind it for me for $125 Cdn but I havent sent it in to them yet.

I sold the replacement Electrosport unit to a member here who was in a jam. Full disclosure of course.

Hope this is helpful and of interest.

Brian H.

Update...

Installed new RM Stator this weekend and have come to the conclusion that the one that failed was defective from the git go.

With the new stator... even with all 36 running lights on, headlight on high beam, and brakes applied, the voltage stays well above 12 volts at idle and jumps to >13 as soon as the throttle is cracked.

Not so on the one that failed... from day one the voltage dropped way down when sitting at a stop light, enough so that I got in the habit of switching off lights to try to reduce the load.

Not too happy with RM's 'oh well' response. Hopefully I won't have to put another stator in for a long time... but if so, will definitely be looking elsewhere first.

BTW... it is an 89 model...