IGNORED

Wanted: Old "Bad" Venture Coils

V7Goose

I want to get my hands on old coils that anyone has taken off when suspecting them to be bad. Interested in coils from any models, but particularly 2nd gens. I have an old automotive oscilloscope that I want to use to try and identify what the "normal" cause of the failure is, and if there is anything we can do about it. In addition, I would like to see if I can devise some sort of test that anyone can use (without a scope or special tools) to accurately identify a bad coil.

If you have changed one or more and are just going to toss the old coils, will you please send them to me instead? PM me and I'll send you my address.

You can just slip one or more into a free Priority Mail flat-rate envelope (no weight limit) for $4.95. I'll gladly send you the $5 postage.

Goose

• 3 weeks later...
I want to get my hands on old coils that anyone has taken off when suspecting them to be bad. Interested in coils from any models, but particularly 2nd gens. I have an old automotive oscilloscope that I want to use to try and identify what the "normal" cause of the failure is, and if there is anything we can do about it. In addition, I would like to see if I can devise some sort of test that anyone can use (without a scope or special tools) to accurately identify a bad coil.

If you have changed one or more and are just going to toss the old coils, will you please send them to me instead? PM me and I'll send you my address.

You can just slip one or more into a free Priority Mail flat-rate envelope (no weight limit) for $4.95. I'll gladly send you the $5 postage.

Goose

I thought this thread had a lot of posts in it the other day?

Anyways, I'm buying a complete set of coils off a crashed Venture for just a few dollars. I've done about everything I can with my bike to improve the MPG short of pulling the carbs myself (I paid to have that done a few years ago).

So, I'm going to see if coils change things. If they do, I'll send you the one(s) I think are bad.

• 6 months later...

Oh, I been around; just involved in a bunch of other stuff, so not doing much here unless I see a post that really needs tech input.

Nobody else sent me any coils, so things are just were we left them a year or more ago - problems seem most likely caused by bad reisistors or corrosion on the spring causing high resistance.

Goose

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have coils from year 83 87 and 88 would be glad to send you a one or two and in return am hoping you can help me. Am turning my 87 in to a chopper trike and have no good place to mount stock coils so I got some coil on plug type and they work fine I think, thing is am not sure if I can run them as they may damage the CDI over time. Let me know what you think or if you need a coil.

Using COP's (Coil Over Plugs) can damage the TCI in your venture. This is due to the lower primary coil resistance.

The VMax guys have been putting a resistor in the primary side. This was done by one of there members as a solution to prevent TCI damage. I do not know what size or wattage resistor he is using in the COP's conversion kits he sells. Asked him and he would not divulge info.

Gary

Using COP's (Coil Over Plugs) can damage the TCI in your venture. This is due to the lower primary coil resistance.

The VMax guys have been putting a resistor in the primary side. This was done by one of there members as a solution to prevent TCI damage. I do not know what size or wattage resistor he is using in the COP's conversion kits he sells. Asked him and he would not divulge info.

Gary

If you can figure out the resistance of orginal coils and the COPs, then the added resistor would be the difference between the two..

If you can figure out the resistance of orginal coils and the COPs, then the added resistor would be the difference between the two..

And that is fairly close to what I was told. But he seemed confident that his particular choice of a ceramic resistor was important.

The COP's coils I have measure around 1.9 ohms.

The VMax guys have learned the hard way not to use the COP coils with a stock TCI and no resistors. There have been several cause a quick demise of their TCI that way.

The Ignitech TCI that I have has a software adjustable setting to compensate for the coil ohms by varying what they call the dwell time. I have been running them without resistors so far with no issues.

Picture attached is of a COP coil if someone is wondering what they look like. There is no ignition coil wire on them. The TCI output of 12v runs right into this coil, just visible at top of coil. Entire coil is about 5" long and a little under 1" dia.

Gary

DSC02671.jpg

And that is fairly close to what I was told. But he seemed confident that his particular choice of a ceramic resistor was important.

The COP's coils I have measure around 1.9 ohms.

The VMax guys have learned the hard way not to use the COP coils with a stock TCI and no resistors. There have been several cause a quick demise of their TCI that way.

The Ignitech TCI that I have has a software adjustable setting to compensate for the coil ohms by varying what they call the dwell time. I have been running them without resistors so far with no issues.

Picture attached is of a COP coil if someone is wondering what they look like. There is no ignition coil wire on them. The TCI output of 12v runs right into this coil, just visible at top of coil. Entire coil is about 5" long and a little under 1" dia.

Gary

I would think you'de two wires going to it. TCI output and a ground. ???

I went back and looked at some of the old post on the subject of COP's,and looks like Dingy you had some input on the vmax site as well as here also. As for me well looks like I'll just have to find a place somewhere to mount stock coils, do not want to blow a cdi or get stuck on a back road somewhere, Who would think something so simple as wiring in a set of coils would turn out to need six months of research to get it right.

• 7 years later...

Can anyone provide some direction on removing coils off a 1984 venture I can not access two centre Phillip screws on front two coils

I have removed battery box and the inner fairings

I have tried several different methods but would like to hear from someone who has found an efficient way to do this

Pull the whole rack.

You'll want to move the ignition module up on top of the air box anyway.

When you say to remove entire rack of coils do I need to remove air box and ignition module first then remove coils ?

If you could send a few helpful hints that would great

I am not 100% clear on what needs to be done to relocate module to top of air box any advise on this would also be appreciated

When you say to remove entire rack of coils do I need to remove air box and ignition module first then remove coils ?

If you could send a few helpful hints that would great

I am not 100% clear on what needs to be done to relocate module to top of air box any advise on this would also be appreciated

Just plug it in and stick it up there with the included velcro. I used a baggie and zip ties to seal off the PC port. I've been playing with some custom maps for it.

I used the included Velcro to stick it right to the top of the air box lid, and the pigtail is plenty long enough. I'm dusting off my Venture as we speak. I'll see if I cant get a pic of it but I havint seen my data cables for a very long time. I dont recall the factory coils being to terrible (unlike the OEM front two coils on a Gen1 Vmax). IIRC it is easiest to remove that steel rack that holds the coils and TCI as was eluded too up above, but it has been a couple years since I've done it.

Search the forum for ignition module or TCI relocation. I don't know for sure but I'd bet there is a thread dedicated to it.

IIRC, The air box and battery box need to come out, then there is a heat shield or air dam that comes out(I don't think it has any fasteners, but i could be wrong) and then you can get to the rack that the coils, TCI and boost sensor are mounted to. Pull the whole rack then you can take the TCI off and it's just a matter of rerouting the 2 cables a bit so it can then lay on top of the air box when you put everything back together. This is a dryer, cooler and more easily accessible spot for it.