IGNORED

need canada road help

jonesy

Plan on riding from Niagara Falls to Sault Ste. Marie {NY to WI.} next year. Maps show 6 to ferry to 17 and over or 69 to 17 and over. Maps seem to show things are few and far in between on 69 and 17, I need imput on whats ahead for me. thanks for your time and trouble:900[1]:

Guest BluesLover

Whichever way you decide to go, will give you a look at some great scenery. Both are over 700 kms long, which is a really good long run.

Going north out of Toronto, you'll be getting on a concrete slab called Hwy 400, which can be very busy on weekends with cottagers. On the other hand, heading up to Wiarton is a more relaxing ride.

If you do choose to take the ferry (it's a 1 hour + crossing), make sure to gas up before you get on - a couple of years ago, we made the mistake of thinking we'd be able to get gas on the island, but they keep their own very irregular hours. One of the bikes actually ran out, and I was running on funes by the time I got to the first open station. You should also make a reservation on the ferry, depending on when (time of the year, day of the week) you decide to go.

Hwy 69 is a very scenic route as is 17. Watch for moose and deer on the road.

If you decide to take the ferry and choose to stay on Manitoulin Island, check out the Red Lodge Resort - great family run spot with affordable overnight cabins and some fantastic food.

If you take the route around the lake, and you have some time, there are some great roads along Algonquin Park (just to the east of Hwy 69) that give you some great riding as well as fantastic scenery.

Enjoy and ride safe!!!

My family is in the Sault, and when we go I stay away from the Canadian side and run across Southern Ontario and up the 75 through Michegan. Boring but better highways for me.

AS it was said the Ferry is nice and the Ride up past hwy 400 is in my opinion very nice. Once you hit Sudbury you can Visist E-Fishin-C if he is not somewhere else on his scoot, but you travel 17 West and it is a nice ride as well.

Enjoy.

Brad

17 across the top is nice and would be a decent ride on a bike in the spring. Me personally I do not want any part of Toronto on a bike :no-no-no: I think going up top is a good idea and I liked the ride when we took Charlie back home with his new bike.

Brad what were your thoughts on the Tobermory ride we went on, that is where he would catch the ferry across then up to 17. ?

You can bypass Toronto that way. PS Toronto is not that bad in a car or bike, just watch where everyone else is. ALso be prepared to ride fast.

Brad

Brad what were your thoughts on the Tobermory ride we went on, that is where he would catch the ferry across then up to 17. ?

You can bypass Toronto that way. PS Toronto is not that bad in a car or bike, just watch where everyone else is. ALso be prepared to ride fast.

Brad

Brad,

The ride to and from Tobermory is a good one, lots of fun and plenty to see as far as landscape. That would be a good ride to there and across on the ferry then up to 17 :happy34: That would be a cool ride...maybe we can plan something like that eh?

Brad,

The ride to and from Tobermory is a good one, lots of fun and plenty to see as far as landscape. That would be a good ride to there and across on the ferry then up to 17 :happy34: That would be a cool ride...maybe we can plan something like that eh?

Now that would be an idea. Make a weekend meet and eat. Not sure which would be better after the ferry and run to the Sault or through Sudbury.

Brad

Now that would be an idea. Make a weekend meet and eat. Not sure which would be better after the ferry and run to the Sault or through Sudbury.

Brad

Either way would be a good ride, coming down through Michigan would be cool or south from Sudbury. I think that this would be a VERY cool M&E, might have to work on the plan over the winter :happy34:

It looks like I'll go up by the ferry route. Go home thur the states. Plans call for end of july. This trip is our get together for 6 of us that spend 2 years in army together 69-71. 2 of us live in WI. so we choose that state this year. At Oshkoss air show time, understand its quite a show. My wife is flying to Cincy, OH., and will drive up with that couple so I'm on my own for this trip. I'll be sure to post my travel dates and try to meet with some of you. later :cool10:

• 1 year later...

you'll be passing right by my house on HWY #6 if I know the details, I can be your tourguide and pitstop near Chatsworth Ontario, and take you up to the ferry, maybe even take you the cut-off to Elliot lake( on the other side) where my sister lives...... need an excuse to see her anyway, and keep my name handy if you need help locally, leave me a private message if you want, and when it gets closer, we can finalize things, or if you want tourist info.... I'll stop by the tourism office and mail it to you JOHN MUSTERS PS they give you ropes to tie your bike down on the ferry, but I always carry ratchet straps as well:grandpa:

Just did riding in some of the areas your talking about....on Labor Day weekend....Hamilton-Parry Sound-Sudbury-Manitoulin-Tobermory-back to Hamilton. From Hamilton to Parry Sound we avoid Toronto and go by way of Wasaga Beach area. Longer ride but more scenic and not as busy. And run a small stretch of 400. Ferry ride is about 1 hour and 45 minutes...$34.00 bike and rider. As mentioned...depending on time of year and time of day restaurants and gas stations on Manitoulin keep seasonal irregular hours.