IGNORED

My RSTD custom project (Caution, nekkidness inside)

Sunman

Well, here is the start of what I hope will be a great story. Actually the story began last year when I took delivery of my brand new (2006) RSTD. I had been on the fence for over a year, whether to go Venture, or RSTD. When I found an amazing deal on the bike, the choice was clear. I even was ok with the plain white color, as I knew I had plans for her. Many of you have commented on my custom skull helmet, which is in my profile pic. That helmet was done by a very good friend of mine from North Bay Ontario, about a 4.5 hour ride from me in Hamilton. Some of you may remember I had the chance to do a rain gear review, when I had to drive hom 4.5 hours in a downpour from there last year.

Well, the time has come for the transformation to begin. I am going away to Las Vegas for 2 1/2 weeks, so the perfect time to get my bike up to the shop for paint. Again, they called for rain all day on Wed for my ride up. I got up early, donned my rain gear, and began to prepare for a crappy ride. The rain had not started yet, but the clouds were ominous. I set out, glad for every mile I got that was dry. The miles added up quickly. I stopped after an hour for gas and some food, still no rain, but it looked like it was ready to come down any time. I set out again, dry, and after 90 min, the sun came out, and it warmed right up. I had outrun the rain!! I talked to some friends back in the Hammer, and it was pouring. The joke was on me, I rode 2 1/2 hours in dry weather, wearing rain gear. Oh well, took off the gear, and the liner for my jacket, and set out for a very dry ride to my destination.

Got to North Bay, dropped by to visit the guys, and arranged to meet up with them at the shop to start disassembly of the bike. 4 of us worked together and stripped the bike down. I discussed with the painter some ideas, but as we left it, I am just to be impressed when I pick it up. That is pretty much it, I am leaving it up to him. He is a good friend, and a great artist. This is his first motorcycle, although he is very well regarded for the many cars he has airbrushed over many years. I know what some of the elements he is putting on, but mostly it will be a surprise. Here are some pics of the process so far. I asked him to take pictures during the paint process, and I will add them to this thread when I get the bike back. I am very excited about this. My first bike was pretty much the same the day I sold it, as the day I bought it. This bike, will be a total transformation. Here are some pictures of my naked bike.

Sonny

Edited by Sunman

I painted a few bikes in my younger years and always felt more 'adventurous' with the paint.

Now that I am older and have much more money wrapped into my bike, I can't decide what I want on her. One of these days, I will come up with the courage to 'fancy mine up' also.

I'm anxious to see how yours turns out.

craigr

Good Luck Sunman. I am starting my project this winter so make sure you post on here everthing "NOT" to do.

:crackup:

Hardest part of stipping the bike was the rear fender. There is a sub structure that the fender bolts into. At the front of the fender, near the back of the front seat area, there are 2 round frame points that actually pass through the fender, so even after it is fully loose, you can't remove it. It had us puzzled for a while :confused24: but a few more beers, and we figured that we just keep taking bolts off of the back, until the sub structure dropped down, that freed up the rear fender.

And now we have to wait two weeks.....Has it been two weeks yet? How bout now? How bout now? Waiting SUCKS!:crying:

I agree, the wait would have killed me too. So to take my mind off it, I am going to Las Vegas for 17 days over the WSOP. That should keep me occupied, and hopefully I can win some $$ to pay for the work being done!! I told my painter not to bother showing me any in progress shots, but I did ask him to photograph the entire process for me. He is as excited as I am, this is his first bike. I don't want to stifle his creativity. I will be happy with what he does, I am sure. As soon as I get the bike, there will be pics and video I am sure. The one thing I asked him to do for me, was to redesign the Yamaha tuning fork logo, into something tribal, and put it somewhere. When the bike is done, there will be nothing that says yamaha anymore, not that I want to hide what it is, but I love the "What the heck is that" look people give me. The tuning forks will be the only indicator of what it is. Some will get it, some won't. But I will enjoy watching them try to figure it out. :sign isnt that spec

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am back from Vegas, had a fantastic time. Talked to the artist who is painting my bike, he says I am going to love it. All I know is he did some "REAAAAALLLLY" cool stuff with it. I asked him to take tons of pics during the paint process, which he says he did. I really have no idea what it is going to look like. As you can tell, I trust the guy. There is a bit of a delay, I was hoping to pick it up this weekend, but looks like 1 more week. I do not want to rush him so I am cool with it. I can't wait for the unveiling, the wait is the roughest part. Oh well, guess we will all have to wait a bit.

That would be tuff for me...having no idea what they are doing. :) I hope you don't end up with a Mary Kay bike....but if you do, you would probably sell it to Muffin Man. :)

I know you must be getting excited and we are looking forward to seeing the pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am taking the train up to North Bay later today. The bike is finally all done. Any members in North Bay want to help us put it back together? I plan to ride her back home on Wednesday, and I will post many pictures of the final product. I am nervous and excited to see it. It has been over a month since I dropped it off. Pictures soon....

Well, a very long process has finally come to an end. My bike is home. I have tons of pictures, and I will post them here shortly. I did make a facebook album with 68 pics, and you should be able to see it here

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=295689&id=612305200&l=7e099dd4fc

if you are on facebook, feel free to add me. Please feel free to comment on the photos as well. If you have any problems seeing the album, let me know. I hope you like them. Before, after and during the process photos all there.

Sonny

Edited by Sunman

Awsome! ... Angels and Demons, that’s right out there! Given your background it looks personalized with the cards, nice touch... anyone for a little Poker! I’ll bet you’re happy just to be ride’n again... congrats on the new scoot. Can’t wait to see it up close.