IGNORED

Any tips for cutting into helmet to fit speakers

dogman

Before I reck my helmet, I thought I might be able to get some tips from anyone who may have had to cut into their helmet to fit their speakers in the ear area.

My new J&M speakers fit great in my wife's helmet, but my modular helmet does not have an ear pocket area so I will have to cut into the material and foam so they can be inset so the helmet will still fit my head.

Any tips or tricks so I can do it right the first time?

Thanks

i used a socket from my socket ratchet set that was i pinch smaller than the diameter of the speaker. made a mark in the foam where i wanted the speakers and then put a extention into the socket backwards, then heated the socket with a small bottle torch and pushed/ melted the foam to the depth that i needed.

hope this helps. mike

Interesting idea. I would have never thought of melting into the foam. I think I'll wait a few days to build the courage for that one. When I do things on my own for the first time, I usually choose the wrong way first, then learn from my mistake. I'd hate to melt my helmet from doing it wrong the first time.

I used a dremel to carve out a hole in the foam, but I have to say I like the melting idea. The hole saw also works, but I didn't want to go buy a 90 degree adapter.

The dremel works, but was very messy. Melting your hole would be cleaner also. Good idea.

Tom

I am not sure I would modify the helment. I think you need to think about the risk you are imposing on yourself. These helments are designed, tested and cerified to protect your noggin. Any modification could decrease that protection or cause it to crack in an accident. I understand you are just modifing the inside foam lining but that is to spread the impact across a larger area to help protect you.

I think I would look for other speakers that would fit better...

As long as you understand the risk and are willing to accept that risk... Go for it and good luck.

Not telling you what to do...just want you to consider the possible consiquenses. I would hate for you to get injured due to a modification of a helment.

Good luck and I hope it works out.

:fingers crossed:

Last time I saw you, you had the same helmet as mine with the movable jaw. All the inside material are held in with velcro and snaps, it all just snaps out in three pieces. You peel back the retaining tape on the back side of the ear pieces, trim the foam and leave the cloth intact. it will look clean and the speakers are hidden behind the material, which wont fray now because you didn,t have to cut it.

:thumbsup:

I read about using a heated spoon to melt a pocket, and I tried that on my Nolan and my wife's helmet when putting in the J&M system.

Heated the spoon on our gas stove (helps to have a flame rather than electric stove!) and just pushed it into the foam where it needed to be thinner. I guess you could also use the edge, but I just used the convex surface and kind of rocked it around.

Yea, made a bit of a mess, and took some time to clean up the spoon, but it worked.

And yes, any removal of foam takes away a little safety margin, do this at your own risk, but if you are going to have in helmet speakers, it is better to get them recessed and away from your head some than have them tight up against your ears. The rest of the undisturbed foam should do a pretty good job in an accident.

i used a socket from my socket ratchet set that was i pinch smaller than the diameter of the speaker. made a mark in the foam where i wanted the speakers and then put a extention into the socket backwards, then heated the socket with a small bottle torch and pushed/ melted the foam to the depth that i needed.

hope this helps. mike

Mike your a genius!:thumbsup2:

Guest curtismiller

Heres what I did.I hate anything on my big ole ears so I like to ride with the half helmet.I made a bracket to attach the mike boom on the brake res.Remove or tape up the ear phones.Use CB through the speakers and just bend over to the mike when transmitting.Also no spaghetti hanging around. Curtis

Before I reck my helmet, I thought I might be able to get some tips from anyone who may have had to cut into their helmet to fit their speakers in the ear area.

My new J&M speakers fit great in my wife's helmet, but my modular helmet does not have an ear pocket area so I will have to cut into the material and foam so they can be inset so the helmet will still fit my head.

Any tips or tricks so I can do it right the first time?

Thanks

J&M just came out with a slim speaker. Worked great for fitting inside the helmet, poor frequency response though.

NEVER cut anything on the helemt. You will loose the safety aspect should you crash and burn.