I'm calling on the carb guru to help with this 99RS. It sat for 9 years, first 4 the owner would start it up and let it run until the fan came on. Last 5 years never started.Bike has less than 1500 miles on it!

I pulled the carbs, opened the bowls and found lots of pretty brown varnish. Pulled all the jets and soaked in carb cleaner, blew them out with compressed air( hold on to the little ones, they are hard to find when you send them into air driven orbit) and visually looked into them to ascertain they were clear. reassemble carbs. Use round gage pin to bench set the sync, had them within about .1mm of each other for butterfly opening, each one qualified to the master carb with idle screw. Installed carbs and finally got it to fire and run. Left side heated almost immediately, right side did not. Put my mercury manometer on, right side was a bit higher on vacuum than left. Adjusted all 3 screws in proper order at about 1000rpms, blip throttle and let it settle and they returned to level setting(within.5mm from lowest to highest). Reassembled bike, test ride showed cylinders were lagging, pulled plugs, right side is lean. Fast forward to 4th time carbs come off, I checked sync again, looked good on gauges, rides rough, winshield shake and such. I just blindly reached in and "tweaked" the front screw on right side, rode it again. A little less vibration. Fast forward, 10 or 12 stops and it runs pretty smooth just blindly tweaking the 3 screws. Put the mercury vacuum gauge on again and right side is low on vacuum. But it is smooth after you get off idle. When starting cold it only runs on left side for a couple minutes then right side starts to show heat on the pipes. First 2 minutes you can hold the pipes and no heat, left side will burn you in the first 20 seconds. If you mist ether or gasoline into the right side intake it picks it up and idles up. My feeling is idle circuit is still plugged with gunk and varnish.Other than the brass jets what can be clogged?

All Fuel Passages could be blocked. I'm not that familiar with the 2Gen Carbs, but i think a a thourough Clean Job in a Ultrasonic Cleaner is in Order.

An ultrasonic is one toy I do not have at my disposal, nor do I know any one with one-yet. I will be looking

Update for you 50 some who read this and had no WAG as to where to go next.

I pulled the carbs again, I'm getting really good at this. 15 minutes on a cold engine I can have the set lying on the bench, on this bike any way.

I pulled the bowl off of the 2 right carbs since they were the ones that were lagging, using a hypo and needle for insulin shots I squirted carb cleaner( the soaker stuff not aerosol can stuff) into the passages I could not determine clearness of. Let that sit while cleaning the idle jets for the umpteenth time. One of them was clogged somewhat and after prodding with a strand of stainless wire from a electrical doodad I finally got the glob out. back to the passages where I forced cleaner in and hit them with air pressure, one was already open, the other came undone soon after. reassemble the carbs, using a 1mm gage pin I set the other three to the master carb and proceeded to pull the plugs on mixture screws, checking the screws I found that one of the screws, and it was on the offending carb was screwed all the way down to seat, the other right carb was 1 turn out. The left side has always warmed right up and the screws there were out 1½ turns.Feeling really good about the find on mixture screws I put the carbs back on. I bench set the screws at 2½ turns out.

I hooked up my mercury manometer and lit a fire in the engine. Once it came to life and got over the dry fuel bowls it sounded really good. Actually the best I have ever heard it sound. Let it warm up and cranked the idle way up, let it settle down and begin to smooth out even more. When it settled the merc manometer showed my left side front/rear almost perfect, and right side fron/rear about 5mm off. Brought those to even, then evened up the left/right. By bench setting with gage it was less than 2mm off balance. Shut it down removed the manometer and replugged the carb bases, cranked the idle down and fired it up. It really sounds strong now. Can't wait for the danged rain to stop so I can ride it, once it is purring it goes up for sale. Should move quickly, a 99rs td with only 1500 miles on it!

Rode it today, man what a sweet ride when it runs right! Sure wish i had the coin to buy it. I'd have to sell everything toafford this.

[ame=http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/Bob_Myers/?action=view&current=Jun042008-VID00008_1.flv]Jun042008-VID00008_1.flv video by Bob_Myers - Photobucket[/ame]

He is "entertaining" offers right now. Mileage on this baby is still under 1,500 !!

Mileage right now is 1, 616 miles. Still a little cold natured, but smooth as can be once warmed up. If 70 or so of you fine folks would "loan" me $100.00 I could belong to this, bringing my fleet to 5 bikes. I promise I'll eventually pay you back.

Edited by Bob Myers
mileage