IGNORED

Spotted a 1986 VR for sale in Grand Junction

Kandaje

Greetings...

Brown, or is that supposed to be 'Gold'...

Owned by the store "Motorcycle Accessories" on I-70b, right next to the bowling alley.

The plastic is pretty torn up - The PO obviously hurt his left knee - nothing really missing but every peg on the side covers (held on by zip ties.) Radio works and sounds good, even though the antenna is missing. Still has the lower scoop (with screens) and original screws, that and the front fender are just about the ONLY pieces of tupperware NOT split, cracked or missing chunks...Currently there are two inches of water in the rear luggage box - the passenger radio/cb hand unit is actually in the right hand saddle bag Though the salesman didn't seem to know what it actually was!

Mirror's are good, obviously been replaced - She's been down on both sides more than once, and the mirrors are the first to go in those kinds of drops. There is a split in the dash plastic that would leak humidity onto the speedo in a rain. How do you split the dash board plastic that way? She had about 49K on the dial - but that can't be trusted.

Has a rather newish looking "Grey" V-bag on the right hand passenger spot - but both front driver V-bags are gone - the right side still has the snap intact. The fairing upper decks are missing plastic at the points where the metal latch attached for the bags - so they probably got ripped off by knee impact. That's the story the cracks tell on the fairing lowers anyway...

When asked if the cruise worked - I got the "I don't know - But probably not" questioning (it's got cruise control!?)look that a semi-honest salesman who trying not to lie to someone who seems to actual knows what the heck he's looking at uses...

Asked him to fire her up. She started rather slow, took three tries (my 89 ignites instantly - even in the winter - so it needs some work), after I told him to wait a sec for the fuel pump to STOP pumping fuel to the carbs, she fired fine - Starter was nice and strong - though it needs a new battery, once she fired up, she idled really sweet without needing any choke (carbs are in sync - the mechanics have obviously spent some time getting her running), and reved quickly and strong. Didn't test drive, as the seat was mostly just yellowed foam - the sun and armor-all had split just about every surface of seat, back and arm rests. Not one square inch of leather/pleather remaining - anywhere - not even on the backrest! Armor-all + sun = destruction...

The mufflers sounded like they had at least another 5000 miles left in them - didn't hear any loose baffles rattling, and didn't sound they had been removed. She was nice and silent at idle and rev.

There's an extra brake light on the travel compartment, and the vanity mirror is actually still there and in pristine condition!!

The side bags are non-cracked, and still have the original foam bottoms. Unfortunately - the 2 inches of rain water in the rear travel compartment have really rusted the bottom left set of screws and nuts. However - the fact that the water is still actually there - leads me to conclude that the rear compartment isn't all cracked up, all the locks work and all hinges are in excellent condition...

They were asking $2700. I asked him if they were firm on that - his reply was I'll get 3 times that If it sits here all summer then I part it out on Ebay... So it's obviously priced to NOT sell. I told him that that's about $1700 over priced - he just smiled - so I got the impression that that's what they probably paid for it and the hours put into it in labor and parts...

All in all, I'd scrape together - Maybe $1500 for her - even IF I ended up parting her out. But the engine sounds good - My guess is she's probably got at least 50k left on her clock before a major rebuild if you kept up on her maintainence.

Edited by Kandaje

Greetings...

Need to remember that store and then not bid on anything when it comes up on flea-bay.........

YEAH! I want that radio - I got first dibs on it...

The lettering was really clear and the stereo seperation was excellent...

That and the CB...

Didn't test the CLASS, Though it didn't come on when I turned the key. No errors on it or the main dash computer.

I'm thinking -I get another night job cooking at the local VFW for a few months - buy the thing as a parts bike and share the wealth here in the parts I don't need...

:) - I've come on here, mentioned a problem I've had, and 4 days later a box from someone mysteriously shows up with the part I MIGHT need - so I'm thinking - Time to pay back and forward a bit....

It's worth it - That's what a life's all about - isn't it? Giving other's an opportunity to help you, earned with random act's of kindness? heheheheh....

Edited by Kandaje