IGNORED

PA to ME this August

steveb74678

I have already gotten some great ideas for stops along the trip from PA to Maine this august. Thought that I would start another thread in the favorite roads and destinations section and maybe get some more suggestions.

Thanks for any additional info!!

Steve

tell me what you've learned as we are also leaving pa and heading to me. in august.....harrisburg to machias..........what route , places to eat.etc. we're leaving around the 15th..how 'bout you......

Guest Ken8143

Must be contagious - some buddies and I plan the same trip in august so I will be interested as well in hearing recommendations.

I did this trip several times. Once up I-95. Ok, not great. Once through MA and CT, I was stopping to visit friends. It's the long way to Maine but a nice ride. My preference is north on I-87 in NY then Rt 6 across Vermont and New Hampshire.

Ben & Jerry's is in Vermont. Go to the Auto Road in New Hampshire. Wonderful ride up a gravel road to the top of Mt Washington, 6288 feet up, takes about a half hour. I have ridden up this twice on my '84 Venture Royale. I hike up once, also, taking the Cog Railroad back down. Oh, there's a post office at the top of the mountain. And remember, when you see fog... it's really a cloud.

If you can, stop at the The Littleton Diner. It's a quaint little diner that serves a great breakfast.

In Maine, I camped at Quiet Side Campground near Bass Harbor (they have cabins, too). In Seawall, on the end of the penninsula, there is a camp store that sells just about everything a camper/hiker would need, including fresh steamed lobster. They even rent showers by the minutes. You're not far from Bar Harbor. Make reservations at the campground before you go.

If you have the time, take the ferry over to Nova Scotia (all night trip) then ride back. I haven't done this but a friend of mine did, he said it was a wonderful experience. It's on my to-do-soon list.

Thanks for all of the inquiries. To give you a few details, the fun part of the trip is the many months of planning. We have researched many great rides in magazines etc. What we have tentatively planned is the following:

Leaving August 21 to meet in Washington PA, riding north to Route 6 all the way across PA (Have done this ride before and it is phenominal! Continuing on Rt 6 to Port Jervis and starting NE, maybe Rt. 209 to ultimately Route 7. Route 7 through CT, MA, and into VT and cross VT and NH via route 9 to Portland ME and then run the ocean front Rt. 1 to Bar Harbor.

Return trip has yet to be determined but thinking about Northern route through ME cross country to Mt. Washington in NH and back along the great lakes, maybe.

We will be gone about 8 days.

Your thoughts?

Steve