I would like to order some risers inserts from Baron's as most of you seem to prefer those. But I've notice that most of you who have posted on this issue are over 6' tall, and I'm only 5' 7" so I'm really not sure what size risers to order. Any suggestions? :think:

I am not aware that Barons makes but one riser extentions for the beloved RSV. I have the 1 1/2" from Barons Lets just say I have not seen any but the 1 1/2" Barons do not show any bigger or smaller ones on thier site.

http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/777/index.html

I am 5'7" and installed a set on my bike...they really helped take that knot out of my shoulder blade.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/album.php?albumid=276&pictureid=1937

There are a few issues you may need to know about before you order them.

1. I never knew finding that sweet spot for my bars would be so hard. After I installed these riser extentions...I moved the bars about 2 dozen times till I found that sweet spot for me. I hauled the allen wrenches for a while to get this done.

2. You need 3 hands to install these riser extentions. Lifting the bars and gettting the risers in place...is a trick...it can be done with 2 hands but it goes a lot easier if you had some help.

3. You may have to re-route the throttle cable. I had a problem with mine not really sticking...just not returning after you let it go. I re-routed it about 3-4 times till I got this resolved. You will probably have to adjust some of the other stuff wires, clutch and brake hose. Cut some tyraps and re-install them to get enough slack so all will be happy in there together.

4. Those rubber things that are supporting the fairing now...some folks toss them but I felt they are there for a purpose and built extensions for them. so you decide what you want to do.

If you are 5'7...and knowing how it helped me...I would recommend them.

4. Those rubber things that are supporting the fairing now...some folks toss them but I felt they are there for a purpose and built extensions for them. so you decide what you want to do.

I managed to wedge mine back in there, as is. It was not easy, but I'm pretty sure they won't fall out!

I installed the Baron 1 1/2 " riser. No problem at all with any cables. I did put in the rubber block extentions as shown in a previous post. A lot easier on the arms, etc. on longer trips. (and because I had my front lowered I am able to access the shock air valves again)

Got my risers sent to Oz from www.cruisercustomizing.com :happy34: when you sign up you get what you purchase discounted most of the time, and they sell Baron as well. I have bought other stuff from them as well :thumbsup2:

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:can fly

Edited by Aussie Annie
email addy

Wow...This is still fresh in my mind, as I just finished doing mine. I did have problems with the throttle cables, and rerouted them a couple of different ways. The only way I found that kept them moving freely (without any binding at all) was to go between the steer head and the ignition. Just enough room. I can turn either way with out any drag on the cables. Then I took a strap and strapped them to the right fork just under the upper tripple tree. I strapped it loose enough that when I turn the bars the cables slide in the strap so they don't bind. We took it for a 250 mile ride on Saturday and NO PROBLEMS. Worked like a charm. Good luck. After installing the extensions on mine, they will never be coming off. :thumbsup: Ride Safe.

• 4 years later...

Like most others that are under six feet tall I found the stock bars to far away. Installed a set of 1.5" Barons risers and bars are by far more comfortable. The rubber blocks that support the fairing were a surprise as when I raised the bars there was nothing to hold the rubber blocks in place. They were wedged between the stock handlebar position and the fairing. Actually held in place by glue and the stock handlebars. Once raised the handlebars no longer position the rubber blocks.

I removed the risers and attached a 1 1/2 " long piece of aluminum bar stock to the riser to mimic the position of the original handlebar. Drilled and tapped riser to bolt "adapter" into position. Now the rubber block is held in position by the piece I added and the handlebars work great.

There is slight interferance with the plastic around the ignition switch {nothing to do with MY modification} .

I did not have any cable or brake line issues

Like most others that are under six feet tall I found the stock bars to far away. Installed a set of 1.5" Barons risers and bars are by far more comfortable. The rubber blocks that support the fairing were a surprise as when I raised the bars there was nothing to hold the rubber blocks in place. They were wedged between the stock handlebar position and the fairing. Actually held in place by glue and the stock handlebars. Once raised the handlebars no longer position the rubber blocks.

I removed the risers and attached a 1 1/2 " long piece of aluminum bar stock to the riser to mimic the position of the original handlebar. Drilled and tapped riser to bolt "adapter" into position. Now the rubber block is held in position by the piece I added and the handlebars work great.

There is slight interferance with the plastic around the ignition switch {nothing to do with MY modification} .

:sign yeah that:

I found this to be the cheapest place for the Barron risers. Took a couple of days to ship and were brand new in package.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baron-Riser-Extensions-1-5-Chrome-Yamaha-Royal-Star-/231007449555#vi-content

I'm 6'3" and even with long arms I always got the neck twinge after about an hour in the saddle and it didn't go away. I now get an occasional twinge, but that's just an annoyance, not real pain.

I'll have to look up but a fellow member here had some billet alum round spacers pre made I bought to replace the handlebars. But one of the posts here did the same thing. Drill/tap where the bars use to be and round stock to support faring. Without the support there the faring has to much movement on bumps. I'm 5'6" and the risers also took the tight feeling on long trips out of the shoulders.

I had the Barons risers for years and I loved them. Also did the rubber bumper modification. You need the rubbers. It keeps the fairing from flexing and hitting the bars and will eventually crack the inner fairing mounts. I sold the Barons and now have the Flanders upgrade. I think I actually liked the Barons bar position better but ill get used to the Flanders.

I went a little different route.

I didn't have any bar stock so I bought a couple of 3/4 inch sockets (the outside diameter is 1"). A couple of 3/8" carriage bolts and two nuts for support on the other end of the socket.

Drilled and tapped the riser and ta da we had chrome supports for the fairing!

I'm 6'2" and didn't like the bars. Tried the Baron's risers, which helped some but still didn't move stuff back far enough that I was really comfortable. The bars that Flanders recommended however, are very nice. I'm riding much more comfortably with them than before the change.