IGNORED

Looking for some where to go in NY State May 15-18

CanadianRider

Hi All

The bike is spring prepped, the weather is getting nice, and I just finished putting together a Piggy Backer XL - now I need somewhere to go??

Living in the Toronto Ontario area, I thought about exploring a little more of NY State, I have travelled through many times but never really stopped long enough to smell the flowers. I was thinking perhaps setting up camp in a nice State Park then doing some short road trips over the next couple of days.

Any suggestions?? All welcome & encouraged!!

Thanks, Ron

Try the finger lakes area, lots to do. There's sampson state park and its in the heart of the wine touring area. There's some nice state parks with waterfalls and in Walkins glen you have a nice walking trail thru the gorge. Jerry

Rhinebeck NY.........There is the Rhinebeck Aerodrome located there. Museum, Gift Store,good food. If you roll in on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon the Air Show begins at 2PM and lasts until 4PM.

This is a great stop if you enjoy seeing WWI planes in action!

Ride safe!

Boomer......who always has wanted to kick the Red Baron's ass but was born too late.

Guest Goneridin'

If you have never traveled the Adirondack Mts. on a bike you really should. I live in the Finger Lakes, which by the way is also a nice area to visit. But the mountains have a charm and appeal all their own. The riding is fantastic in all directions as the roads are for the most part in very good shape, and offer a nice mix of straights, curves and scenic beauty. Camping is available in state owned parks as well as privately. Try the NYSDEC or NYS Parks web sites for camping info. If you are into history I recommend visiting the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake. If you do make the trip be sure to pack some warm layers. It is cool there in the morning this time of year and cools quickly after the sun goes down. Also be aware that in some towns, especially Old Forge, there is an over abundant population of deer that have taken up residence due to the property owners feeding them. Often they are in or near the roads and have little fear of vehicles, so please ride safe. Just a suggestion and have a good, safe trip no matter where you end up traveling to.

On Saturday the 16th Pioneer Motorsports is having a ride for Breast Cancer! It's right around the corner from us. Several Ontario riders will be down for this, and you are welcome to stop in and meet up!!

Info in the rides and rallys forums, under other events...

Rt. 20.old wagon train trail.... good road thru fingerlakes to howe caverns..tons to do along the way..bust rocks at the HERKIMER DIAMOND MINES...THAT TATERS FAVORITE PLACE...8.00 bucks a day...great camp grounds.........it'll take you right thru my home town of Alden..........and yes bob is right about michella's(member) breast cancer ride...check it out on the calendar...we'll all be there.......bbq and music....$20.00...:fnd_(16):

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and information. After careful consideration, weather permitting, I think we will head to the Adirondack Region - a 6 hour ride from Toronto. We don't mind camping in the cold - however cold and wet . . . well that is another matter.

Thanks for the mention of the Ride for Cancer - I am definitely in support of any cause supporting cancer. However, this week I did not get good results from my own battle as my cancer is spreading quickly. So I wish to get in as many rides as possible before I can ride no longer - therefore, right now I am being a little selfish and concentrating on seeing what I have yet not seen. I hope the cancer ride goes well and is well supported.

Any suggestions of better campgrounds or cabins in the Adirondacks would be welcome.

Further ideas on what to see in the area or roads to ride would be welcome.

Once again, thanks for eveyones support and help, this is a great forum and a great group of people. Ron

Guest OldDog

You might try the Wilmington-Lake Placid area. There's Whiteface Mountain, which is quite a cycle ride to the top, as well as a magnificent view if the weather's clear. A few miles back toward Lake Placid there is a chairlift up Whiteface, a nice experience. Also, on Route 73 is the Olympic Ski Jump, which you can go up the elevator & look around.

There's a campground not far from the road up Whiteface, and there's a KOA campground on a side road off Rte. 86. ( I hope I have the routes right as I'm doing this from memory in Myrtle Beach, SC). Hope this helps. Stan

Guest Saddletramp

Pretty sure those are the correct rts. Stan. Nice to see you on. Will we see you for the b'fast in N.Lawrence on the 7th of June? Terry