IGNORED

Taming the Dragon?????

Six of us, with our wives permission, are heading down to the Dragon's Tail for a week of fun and frolic. We will be spending 4 or 5 days in the area.

2 Ventures, 2 Kawasakis, 1 Harley, and I'm not sure on the 6th. We will probably have to throttle the Ventures back so the rest can keep up:12101:

Are there any roads or sights in the area that are "must sees"??? We leave here on May 16.

John

about 3 hours south of there is Dahlonega, GA (where I live). Lots of good riding roads between the Dragon and here. Follow highway 129 south to hwy 19. Good riding all points in between. Helen GA about 30 miles east of here is a favorite destination on a motorcycle. Good restaurants, hotels and night life there. Richard B Russell Highway 138 and Brasstown Bald is a good ride just north of Helen.

tame the dragon very early in the am on a week day not week end, the young bucks are out to prove who can get killed the fastest.

most of that bunch will sleep in late to get past the hangover, and you can enjoy a great twisty road without the need for a stick and a spoon..

ditto what others have said, there are many great things to see and enjoy, don't cross over the center line and don't let others set your pace. be safe. mike

Its a shame that with all the planning being done, all the people who are signing up, and all the activities that are being planned for this rally that you guys cant post pone your trip for now and join the rest of us later this year.

Sure would hate to see you guys miss this rally...:whistling:

August 12-16, 2009 Tail of the Dragon IV Rally, Blairsville, GA

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34327&highlight=vogel+rally

Ditto that one Eck. I am planning my vacation around it. The wife and I will beheading up to Canada after the rally and are interested in meeting up with any one along the way. I think we will be attempting the "Iron But" on the way back home to Alabama.

Six of us, with our wives permission, are heading down to the Dragon's Tail for a week of fun and frolic. We will be spending 4 or 5 days in the area.

2 Ventures, 2 Kawasakis, 1 Harley, and I'm not sure on the 6th. We will probably have to throttle the Ventures back so the rest can keep up:12101:

Are there any roads or sights in the area that are "must sees"??? We leave here on May 16.

John

Hey Canuck.

Glad to hear you are coming for a visit to the Southeast. Hope you have a safe and wonderful stay.

Now some cautionary advice from an old man. :backinmyday:

I live in SC and my father-in-law lives in Robbinsville, so I go there a couple of times a year. Lots of nice roads up there. The locals drive vehicles pretty fast because they know their roads well.

Been there and done the Dragon on my VMax, which has greater cornering clearance than my RSV. It's quite an adventure. Crazy tight curves make it easy to drift over the center line into oncomers.

LOUD crotch rocketeers screaming by as they defy physics will startle ya too. It seems you can't hear them until they are beside you. A couple of police are also generally posted along the ride route.

Haven't had my RSV up on the Dragon. Because it's heavy and not a real curve handler, I'm not sure I'd push my RSV very much on those curves. I'd throttle back to be safe and not worry about the Kawis keeping up. It ain't worth the bragging rights.

Just my 2 cents.

When you finish riding the Dragon, ask the locals about Hellbender..........its starts right there where the Dragon does, just goes in a different direction.........I havent ridden it yet, but everyone that has loves it............

Postpone your trip in May and come down to the Tail of the Dragon IV @ Vogel - VentureRider.Org in August.

Hey Canuck. ....

Haven't had my RSV up on the Dragon. Because it's heavy and not a real curve handler, I'm not sure I'd push my RSV very much on those curves. I'd throttle back to be safe and not worry about the Kawis keeping up. It ain't worth the bragging rights.

Just my 2 cents.

Don't knock the Ventrue for weight & cornering. I rode the Venture with my 200 lb wife on back last year and I had to pull over to let a timid crotch rocket get far enough ahead to let me play. Admittedly, I tend to be a bit more aggessive than some on a bike, but I had NO close calls and paid attention to what I was doing and still had loads of fun. I had the bike leaning WAYYYY over and it was almost a workout flipping back and forth. I was impressed on how well this Cow of a bike handled. Both my wife and I want to go back and stay at the cabins so we can ride it several times - on our Venture.

Admittedly, I would really like to ride it on a crotch rocket though.

While we were there, someone told us that a Wing had gone off a cliff the day before, killing driver & his wife. So, I agree with all that it can be dangerous. But then lots of roads can be.

craigr

Thanks for all the tips. Some of the places I've heard of, some not. We'll be seeing as much as we can. I can't wait to get there.

I really wanted to get to Vogel, but family plans got in the way:(

Cookie, what part of Canada you coming too????

John