IGNORED

Anybody near Cleveland OH?

GaThumper

I'm thinking about flying in to Cleveland, OH to buy a Venture and riding it home to Georgia. I was just wondering if there was anyone close by who could check it over for me before I make the trip up there. I don't suspect any real issues, but it would be nice to have someone lay hands on it. The owner did say he thought I would need to replace the rear shock, and has adjusted his price for this.

He said service was done at the dealer, so I'll check with the Yamaha dealers nearby and see what I can learn. I guess I could arrange for an inspection by the dealer as another option.

The bike is located about 30 miles from Cleveland in Chardon OH.

Thanks!

James

We interrupt this program with a special news bulletin!

It's a Small Small World - Cleveland Georgia & Ohio, May 4th 2009

What a small, small world it is! Once upon a time in a land not so far away, there lived a (not so) young man from Georgia who cut his musical teeth on Southern Rock, loved Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ronnie Van Zant, and believes that Feebird is one of the top ten rock anthems of all time. Here is his story.

So, I decide I might want a Yamaha Venture last year and go surfing on the www and like, kowabunga dude, I land on the beach here at venturerider.org and say "Take Me To Your Leader", and I find out that that dude goes by the Handle "Freebird", not to mention he's named Don, surely named after "Officer Don" who hosted the Popeye Club on Atlanta television for about 10 years beginning about the time I was born in 1958.

So I look for 1st gens high and low, I'm sure that's what I want, they're faster, and handle better, and I like riding with my feet under me, not out in front, I get some bites, hook up with one or two, but I can't land one. Meanwhile I keep seeing these 2nd gens and they look good! Then I happen to stop by my friends dealership and sit on a RSTD and it feels right, uh-oh, there's trouble in River City now. I can't stop thinking about the 2ng gen now, I like the looks, I love that motor being out there for all to see (and easier for me to service) and I start looking for a 2nd gen. I'm headed for the dark side. Luke, I am your father!

But I can't justify spending much, my budget for the 1st gen stopped at about $4k, so I start looking at some '96-'98 Royal Stars, but I feel the need for more power! and the main reason I'm looking for another bike is for my wife's comfort, so now I'm looking for a screaming good deal on a '99 RSV and end up looking all over for the country (Thank You Craigs Little Helper, now known as searchtempest.com) and finding some 2000 and 2001 models in the same price range, see the Green 2001 and I love green, and I guess I'm really looking for a 2001 now.

So, I find a few for sale, make some calls, and think I may want to buy one located way up in the frozen northlands of Oh-Hi-Oh. I remember it's somewhere up there near Canada and those big lakes and I surf over to Google and map-it and start thinking, am I crazy enough to buy a Venture sight unseen and fly to Cleveland Ohio (wait, did I mention I live in Cleveland GA...) and drive it home. well, yeah, I'm that crazy, I drove to Missouri to pick up my DR350, drove to Jackson Missippi to pick up my KLR650, and I drove to Charlotte North Carolina to pick up my wife's Super Sherpa, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that I'd fly off half way to the arctic circle and drive a bike home!

Stay with me, it's almost over, I'm just a word man and I love the lyrics!

So I post up here to my new found brothers from other mothers, and I'm wondering who might live near Cleveland Oh-Hi-Oh that might be able to check out the Venture for me and who, of all the members here should pop out of the Matrix but Freebird! Our fearless leader lives near Cleveland, Eck used to live there, and SteveW aka Mongo who now lives in Cleveland GA (remember I live in Cleveland GA, too) is married to a girl from the same town where the '01 is located!

Yes, it is a small, small world we live in, in a BIG, BIG creation that is truly Indescribible! We are all connected in this fabric of space and time woven together before we were born, spoken into existance by a Mighty God, and I'm glad to be HERE, on the planet Earth, United States of America, Cleveland GA, and venturerider.org.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.

Yes, that is not too far from me. Send a PM with all the info and I'll check it out for you.

Don

Don, if you want some company for half the trip I'll go along. I'm at Rt. 8 in Stow, can meet you somewhere along the way. I'm closer, but too mechanically declined to go up and make decisions for someone else! Email me if you want to make a plan.

Gary

I just got in from band practice and wanted to post a quick update.

The Freebird flew up to Chardon for a 6:00 viewing of the '01 Venture this evening. Talk about service, Don is definately A#1 in my book! Another potential buyer wanted to come look at it tonight also, so I'm really grateful Don made this happen on such short notice. The seller was very nice about it and since I had called first, he gave me first right of refusal for the bike.

Don called me about 6:30 and gave me the report. The bike checked out good, basically the same as advertised, a few significant scratches, a rear shock that needs to be replaced. The tires were a bit more worn than advertised, but I knew they would need replacing soon since he told me they had 6000 miles on them. Don did advise me that I should replace the front tire before riding the bike back down here.

I called the owner and talked it over with him.

Looks like we have a deal! I should be the proud owner of a 2001 Venture this Friday if all goes according to plan.

So, I've got most of the plans in place. I'll be flying up to Cleveland sometime Friday morning and completing the purchase. I'm going to go ahead and make arrangments to get the front tire replaced in Cleveland or maybe Cincinatti The owner suggested calling Shade Tree Powersports. I'm open to suggestions.

I'll go ahead and ride the bike home with the shock as it is. I'll just use caution and be aware of how it's handling.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions here and your advice and patience assisting me on my quest to become a venturerider! I'll post some of the pictures later.

See you on the Highway,

James

Edit to add a few pictures provided by the owner.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/jbmaynard/Yamaha%20Venture/CarMotorcycleOct2008040.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/jbmaynard/Yamaha%20Venture/CarMotorcycleOct2008034.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/jbmaynard/Yamaha%20Venture/CarMotorcycleOct2008033.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/jbmaynard/Yamaha%20Venture/CarMotorcycleOct2008032.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/jbmaynard/Yamaha%20Venture/CarMotorcycleOct2008031.jpg

Edited by GaThumper
Add images

Don called me about 6:30 and gave me the report.

Looks like we have a deal! I should be the proud owner of a 2001 Venture this Friday if all goes according to plan.

Congrats to you. Here hoping for many enjoyable miles.

Don called me while standing beside the bike he looked at for me. Even thou he did not like the colour of my 99:think::rotf:

Brad