A few weeks back I changed rear tires and noticed wear on the spines on ring gear. I thought about swaping ring gear and plate with a MK1 84 which I have on hand off a parts bike but noticed that bolt pattern is different.

But my question is: Does any one know why I can't swap the whole pumpkin on my MK2 87 XVZ1300 with a 84 MK1 XVZ1200 pumpkin by unbolting from the drive shaft end from swing arm. Will they interchange without a problem.

I don't believe so.

Had someone in my shop yesterday with a MKI pumpkin comparing it to my MKII. The MKI has a shoulder around the coupler that the MKII does not. I do not believe that the MKII swing arm is relieved for that shoulder.

The swingarm was changed in 85 also.

Clearly the MKII splines are deeper in the coupler, necessitating a longer drive shaft.

I found a MKI on ebay that I believe he will bid on. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-85-Yamaha-Venture-Final-Rear-Drive_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1546Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem4ce8f88a1cQQitemZ330326116892QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Looks like it could be you?

I have a MKII ring gear (my pinion broke). Problem is, if you put it in your pumpkin you'll have to re-shim it, big job. Also, my gear will need a new bearing. But if you want it we can work something out.

I replaced mine with a 2nd gen final. I needed to plug the speedo sensor hole but otherwise it's a direct bolt up for the MKII. The tire does end up shifted to the left just a bit but this is not an issue. My recommendation would be to find a final from a 2nd gen that had been triked.

I don't believe so.

Had someone in my shop yesterday with a MKI pumpkin comparing it to my MKII. The MKI has a shoulder around the coupler that the MKII does not. I do not believe that the MKII swing arm is relieved for that shoulder.

The swingarm was changed in 85 also.

Clearly the MKII splines are deeper in the coupler, necessitating a longer drive shaft.

I found a MKI on ebay that I believe he will bid on. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-85-Yamaha-Venture-Final-Rear-Drive_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1546Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem4ce8f88a1cQQitemZ330326116892QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Looks like it could be you?

I have a MKII ring gear (my pinion broke). Problem is, if you put it in your pumpkin you'll have to re-shim it, big job. Also, my gear will need a new bearing. But if you want it we can work something out.

I replaced mine with a 2nd gen final. I needed to plug the speedo sensor hole but otherwise it's a direct bolt up for the MKII. The tire does end up shifted to the left just a bit but this is not an issue. My recommendation would be to find a final from a 2nd gen that had been triked.

Yea I wanted to avoid the whole reshim thing and the 83 to 85 final drive is mine on e-bay I still need a rear final gear that will work on my 87. WE've discussed this before but, i haven't been able to find a suitable final gear.

Bob- I have the entire southbound end of a northbound 1986 venture still hooked to a transmission and a frame. Let me know if anything might be useable. It rolls without any noise but this carcass was never on the street under its own power by me.

JB

Bob- I have the entire southbound end of a northbound 1986 venture still hooked to a transmission and a frame. Let me know if anything might be useable. It rolls without any noise but this carcass was never on the street under its own power by me.

JB

Is the rear wheel off the bike how are the spines on the ring gear how much do you want for the pumpkin with it separated at the 4 forward facing bolts.

Bob - Here are the pictures. Although dirty, the splines all look square and lubed. The gears don't make noise or have a bunch of backlash. If you want larger images, send me a PM with an e-mail address.

JB

Looks good to me let's deal, I'll PM you