I like to use subscriptions to threads to bookmark ones that I like, and to be notified when replies are made.

My question is about the mysterious Subscribed Articles and even more mysterious Subscribed Journals on my Home Page. All they ever do is tell me "There are no subscriptions."

What is their purpose? Why can't they take me to my Subscription List so that I don't have to go via my User Control Panel? To be honest, that usually takes me a while to remember where it is.

Those "Subscribed" links must surely be important to be so high in the links on the left side. I'm just mystified at their purpose.

I just put those there to confuse you. :) Actually, on the home page there are modules for journals and articles that can be added but it's one of those things that I have just never started doing. I may or may not ever do so. I guess I need to look at removing those menu items that you are talking about.

I just put those there to confuse you. :) Actually, on the home page there are modules for journals and articles that can be added but it's one of those things that I have just never started doing. I may or may not ever do so. I guess I need to look at removing those menu items that you are talking about.

Maybe you could repurpose the Subscribed Articles to list our Subscribed Threads?

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna bump this again, because twice today so far I have hit the lastpost.gifSubscribed Articles link. Once because I was looking for my Subscribed Threads, and once by accident.

Would it be possible to rename this to Subscribed Threads and to then link it to the threads we are subscribed to? That would allow for you to implement the function you may someday get to, but for now it would be useful.

Failing that, is it possible to hide the Subscribed Articles/Journals links on the left until they are implemented? You know, to reduce bandwidth. :whistling:

Dave

Possible? Yes, but I was about to decide that I wasn't smart enough to find it. After searching the code for about an hour, I FINALLY found where to delete it. Hopefully this will clean the menu up a bit.

Sorry, linking them to your own "subscribed threads" is just easier said than done. At least for me.

Sorry it took me so long to get around to it.

Now if we could only get that 2nd Page button in place of the More button.

:think:

Gary

Ah, I got irritated at that too. So instead I hit the Today's Posts link on the left instead. It gives you a longer page with the Page 2 you seek. I think you can bookmark it too. I don't generally go back more than a day for fresh meat. :)

Dave

Don,

It is not a life crisis, but..

Some of us use the Watering Hole forum as our home page. In my case, when I look at it, my unread threads are highlighted darker. If the last thread in the list is highlighted, I then look at the 2nd page to see if there are any new threads on that page. In order to get to the 2nd page, the More button must be selected, which doesn't seem to do much anymore since you changed the number of posts on the '1st' page to 20 posts about a month ago. It does seem to get rid of the current poll, which is "Where do you live in Alabama". The only thing clicking the more button does for most of us, I am guessing, is refresh the page and then we have to scroll back to the bottom of the 20 listed posts then select 2nd page or 3rd or 4th .... which now is conveniently displayed.

All the subsequent pages have the ability to select the other pages.

Like I said, not a crisis, but seems to be an opportunity for streamlining.

:soapbox:

Gary

Don,

It is not a life crisis, but..

Some of us use the Watering Hole forum as our home page. In my case, when I look at it, my unread threads are highlighted darker. If the last thread in the list is highlighted, I then look at the 2nd page to see if there are any new threads on that page. In order to get to the 2nd page, the More button must be selected, which doesn't seem to do much anymore since you changed the number of posts on the '1st' page to 20 posts about a month ago. It does seem to get rid of the current poll, which is "Where do you live in Alabama". The only thing clicking the more button does for most of us, I am guessing, is refresh the page and then we have to scroll back to the bottom of the 20 listed posts then select 2nd page or 3rd or 4th .... which now is conveniently displayed.

All the subsequent pages have the ability to select the other pages.

Like I said, not a crisis, but seems to be an opportunity for streamlining.

:soapbox:

Gary

I agree, gets really tiresome to click the "More" button only to have it bring up the first page again, but with the capability of finally selecting the 2nd page and so forth.

Changing the number posts displayed did not change the way it worked. It always opened that first page up again. It is just a function of the home page not integrating 100% perfectly with the forum software and there is really no easy way to change that.

TIRESOME.....geezzzzzzz.....maybe it would be less tiresome if you clicked the more page and then perhaps take a nap, drink a beer or something before you go to all the work of scroooollllliiinnnngggg down that long ol' page to click another button. :whistling:

Or...as Dave suggested...just click the Today's Posts link in the left menu and it gives you what you are asking for.

Would you guys try setting a bookmark to

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/search.php?do=getdaily

? That will automatically bring up the "Today's Post" page... see what you think.

You might also try

http://www.venturerider.org/modules/Active_Topics/index.php

which is the link that "more" clicks to. If you are using the home page as your, um, home page, why not set it to your actual desired target, the "More" page?

Do those links work for you? They do for me, but some browsers act differently.

Dave

Dave,

Your suggestions are valid if you are just logging on.

Often though, say on weekends, I will be logged on all day and just hit the home page tab in upper left corner of the site, which does take me back in to the More loop when I come in from whatever I am doing.

Like I said, it is not a big thing, just felt like moaning & b**ching.

Now don't get me started on how hard it is to get the occasional link to an Ebay site to work right.

:stirthepot:

Gary

Edited by dingy
grammer

Dave,

Your suggestions are valid if you are just logging on.

Often though, say on weekends, I will be logged on all day and just hit the home page tab in upper left corner of the sight, which does take me back in to the More loop when I come in from whatever I am doing.

Like I said, it is not a big thing, just felt like moaning & b**ching.

Now don't get me started on how hard it is to get the occasional link to an Ebay site to work right.

:stirthepot:

Gary

I too stay logged on. But I hit the Today's Posts link. *shrug*

Dave

The links to Ebay always work for me IF people do it right. The problem is that people login at Ebay and then try to post the links here. Those links do not work because they include information that is tied to the persons login. If you search Ebay while NOT logged in and then post the link here, they work as they should.

I posted a link last night to FLB_78 post about fork seals.

I went to ebay copied link, logged out of ebay, came back here, pasted link, went to preview thread, checked link & it worked. Posted thred and link did not work. Apparently something got corrupted when I did the preview thread & checked link.

Then it took several attempts to edit thread & get link back to working.

Not worried about fixing this at all about this Don, it is one of those things I do rarely and I know it is an issue. It just seems to not have a set pattern on how it reacts when link is cut & pasted. After trying to reset link last night, it behaved different than first try. Probably due to some code that got copied into post after first screw up.

Gary

It's Ebay which screws up the URL's for whatever unknown Reason. It has been like this for more than a Year. I really don't bother to much more trying to get a working Ebay Link in a Post, but just put in the Item# instead. It's screwing up THEIR Business in the End.

I just needed to fix the link that I mentioned above due to my own incompetence.

What I did on this since I realized I had wrong item linked to after I had revised text in thread was to go on ebay, copy link, log out of ebay then paste link in thread being edited.

This worked and I did not log off this site, due to editing I had already done to erroneous info in post.

Gary