IGNORED

J&M headset pinout diagram

I'm looking for a pinout diagram for a J&M headset. I have an universal headset that has an 8 pin mini DIN connector and I need to have a 5 pin DIN for the bike. J&M uses an 8 pin mini on the headset and then uses a short 8 pin upper cable. Then you just purchase the lower cable that matches your bike so the lower cable will have a 8 pin mini DIN at one end and a 5 pin DIN at the other I need to know what pin goes to each other.

It's for a 2008 RSV and yes I know I should just go buy a new lower cord but it's the principal of it just to say I can do it.

FYI:

J&M has multiple cables - different small end plugs for different series of headsets. I do not know how many different types they have - may just be two, the older round mini DIN and newer D shape. But then again, there may be more. There are also numerous types of short cables with different pin placements. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

So your telling me this is not going to be easy. I can't believe I can't find any pinout info for any J&M products, just about every other headset I can find them but not J&M. Good for them they have been able to keep it a secret which is not easy this day and age.

So your telling me this is not going to be easy. I can't believe I can't find any pinout info for any J&M products, just about every other headset I can find them but not J&M. Good for them they have been able to keep it a secret which is not easy this day and age.

Shouldn't be too hard to meet up with someone and ohm out their cable to get the info you want. Or just buy a cable from Sierra Electronics and plan on cutting one end off to cross-wire it if necessary.

The "PC" cable is the lower cord that has a standard 8-pin female mini DIN plug in it. The short cable that mates to it and has a standard 8-pin mini DIN straight male plug to the headset is a "PA" cable. Basically the PA cable has male mini DIN plugs on both ends, but one has a funky six sided housing around it to mate with the PC lower cable. Or just buy the PC cable and make up your own short cable.

BTW - an old AT style PC keyboard has exactly the same cord with the big DIN connector to fit the bike (or was that an XT style? Can't remember that far back!) - scrounge one of those and just make your own.

Goose

I found this on a Kawasaki form. Might be the same as a Yamaha? It says wings, kawy's, yamy's and some hd's?

Info for the wiring harness or headset:

J&M Corporation

Part # HI-11

headset junction lead kit for Kawasaki Voyager XII

http://www.jmcorp.com/

The radio end is a 6 pin DIN:

1 front mike

2 mike ground

3 speaker ground

4 right speaker

5 left speaker

6 rear mike

The helmet ends are 5 pin DINs:

1 mike (front for rider, rear for passenger)

2 mike ground

3 speaker ground

4 right speaker

5 left speaker

The pinout on the 5 pin connector on the back of the tape deck is numbered in an unusual manner, as follows:

5 4

3 1

This would be looking at the connecter on the back of the unit from outside the case. Don't know if the posts are numbered on the connector or not. Only 3 of the five pins are used. Beginning at the keyway, going clockwise:

3 -- Left channel + output

5 -- Right channel + output

2 -- ground ( - ) common to both channels

4 -- not used

1 -- not used

Here's more info about the connectors, retrieved from the Voyager forum:

There is an 8 Pin DIN plug that exits the Clarion Sytems at the rear and has a brown band on it. That is where the "factory" CB unit connects. The pin-outs are as follows:

Pin 1 Ground brown (wire)

Pin 2 Squelch Signal (N/A for external CB) green

Pin 3 CB Audio out (Ext. CB Audio into Clarion) blue

Pin 4 Push to Talk (Ext. switch on handlebar that puts ext. CB into transmit and switches the Clarion system from listen to talk--two seperate circuits needed. Double Pole single throw switch) white

Pin 5 Drivers Mic (Audio from drivers mic to ext. CB mic circuit) yellow

Pin 6 Accessory (N/A with external CB) red

Pin 7 Not used

Pin 8 Ground black

There are two pigtail cables exiting the rear of the Clarion unit. One for the intercom and the other for the CB interface. Both have female DIN connectors; a 6 pin for the intercom and an 8 pin for the CB. In order to connect directly, one has to have a male DIN plug. The pins are labeled on the inside of the plugs where the wires are soldered. It should not be a problem to establish the correct wiring pattern when you are ready to connect the wires.

Most CBs have a provision for connecting ext. mics and speakers as well as PTT. If the unit you have supports these external devices, you should be able to get it connected and working through the Clarion system on the Voyager. __________________

Thanks for the help, I say that info on the Kawi forum and the 5 pin is the same but the 8 pin is not. I'm on my way to a computer store to see what I can come up with. I think I may have found why I couldn't get the mic to work. The lower cable that I have which is a factory J&M one but for a different model does not have all 8 pins hooked up. The one wire for the mic is in the harness but it was not soldered in place. So with any luck that was my problem but I have totally cut the wire to pieces so I still want to replace it but I needed to know why it wasn't working.

I'll post how I make out and I will also post all the pinouts just incase another cheapo like me wants to know in the future.