IGNORED

Ride to Graves Mountain Lodge in Virginia

Ndiaz

Went on a beautiful ride on Saturday (4/25/09) to Graves Mountain Lodge, near Syria, Virginia. Attached are a couple of pictures. There were five in our group -- three oilhead BMW twins, a Concours 14, and my Venture.

Saturday lunch is served family style, all you can eat, for $10.75. Good, old-fashioned comfort food. Check them out at http://gravesmountain.com/ . Following the meal, we went downstairs and sat on rocking chairs overlooking the valley. It was hard to get off the rockers and ride home!

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/gssuzukiguy/GravesMtApril2529.jpg?t=1240869965

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/gssuzukiguy/GravesMtApril2525.jpg?t=1240870022

Duke, next time my riding group decides to go back to Graves Mountain, I'll let you know. You may want to meet us there, unless you'd rather meet at the start of the ride near Brunswick, MD.

The ride was 144 miles long from Brunswick to Graves Mt. Then a "short" 130 miles back home, on a different route, all on "invisible roads" except for a couple of short four-lane segments -- all to get to the good roads.

The $10.75 price applies to Monday thru Saturday lunch. That's why we like to go on Saturdays, to take advantage of the great comfort food at a great price. Our reservation was for the first seating, starting at 12:30. They roll up the lunch carrpet at exactly 1:30.

We'll probably go back to Graves Mt. at least once more in 2009. I'll let y'all know.

Nick

Now that looks like a really neat place to have a lunch. A very relaxing porch with a nice view ... heck I could end up likeing that now. :thumbsup2:

So relaxing, none of us wanted to get back on the bikes and head for home. Our stomachs were so full, and it was so hot on Saturday.

Here's another picture I took along the way. After our first short rest stop at a country store in the middle of nowhere, I let the other four go ahead of me for a while, so I could take some moving pictures. This one didn't turn out too badly, although it is a bit fuzzy. I'm learning...

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/gssuzukiguy/GravesMtApril2511.jpg?t=1240877339

Duke, next time my riding group decides to go back to Graves Mountain, I'll let you know. You may want to meet us there, unless you'd rather meet at the start of the ride near Brunswick, MD.

The ride was 144 miles long from Brunswick to Graves Mt. Then a "short" 130 miles back home, on a different route, all on "invisible roads" except for a couple of short four-lane segments -- all to get to the good roads.

The $10.75 price applies to Monday thru Saturday lunch. That's why we like to go on Saturdays, to take advantage of the great comfort food at a great price. Our reservation was for the first seating, starting at 12:30. They roll up the lunch carrpet at exactly 1:30.

We'll probably go back to Graves Mt. at least once more in 2009. I'll let y'all know.

Nick

Looks like a nice place for a meet-n-eat, dont forget me:smile5: Craig

Craig, that is a good place for a meet-n-eat!

Here's what was served on Saturday. No menu! You eat what they give you, family style, all for $10.75 plus tax:

Mac and cheese

Barbecue

Lima beans

Mixed veggies

Salad

Cole slaw

Hot rolls right off the oven, (with apple butter right there on the table)

Apple cobbler (hot) with vanilla ice cream

Ice tea or water

The waitresses were taking away the old serving bowls and bringing seconds and thirds at will. Very efficient operation.

Tables for 8 people. The five of us in our group sat next to three perfect strangers and talked about -- what else -- motorcycles, of course!

I can imagine this group of Venture people at that place. ;)

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD