On my 2000 Venture when I toe shift through the gears it is difficult to shift. I have a couple of friends with Ventures ( a 2005 and a 2006) and they shift with ease. About like my Road Star. I have no idea why mine is more difficult to shift. Is it the oil that I am using? I haven't changed the fluids since I bought it. I've ridden about 3000 miles since I have owned it and I was told by the previous owner he had just change the oil when I bought it. Maybe something mechanical? I have no issue shifting but it does begin to wear on your leg after 4 or 5 hours of riding. Any ideas?:confused24:

After 3000 miles on the same oil, most Yamaha's get a little hard to shift. Best to get your self to the local Wal-Mart and pickup a Supper tech filter Part number #ST7317 or ST6607 (the first one is best) and a Gallon of Shell motor oil Rotella T 15w-40 or Shell Rotella T 5w-40 Synthetic, see if that fixes the problem.

Lube up your shift linkage. That I bet is your problem. It's hard to get to it all but when you do I bet that changes it. Jerry K

Agreed and remember there is one hiding on the back that is real hard to get too.

The oil change should also help.

Brad

check the bolt that holds the shifter on. If that is loose then it will bind and be hard to shift also.

The 3000 mile oil thing is well hard for me to swallow. The consistency of the oil doesn't break down that much in just 3,000 miles. I regularly run 5,000 to 8,000 miles on my oil with no shifting problems. If I changed oil every 3,000 miles I would be doing it once a month and that is just not going to happen.

Yea I'll check all the things you guys have suggested. One thing though this has been this way since the day I purchased it. So I don't think it is the oil but how knows maybe the guy who owned it before me put regular car motor oil in it?:confused24: