IGNORED

Stuck float? slider not moving

I stumbled upon what I think is wrong with my bike.. I took the airbox off my 85VR brownie and my left rear carb slider isn't moving like the rest. It is motionless. I checked the diaphragm out. Does this mean my float is stuck?

I stumbled upon what I think is wrong with my bike.. I took the airbox off my 85VR brownie and my left rear carb slider isn't moving like the rest. It is motionless. I checked the diaphragm out. Does this mean my float is stuck?

No! It means the slider is stuck or the diaphragm has a hole in it. Probably some other options too but it's probably one of the above.

Usually when the float is stuck gas will be running all over the place, once in a while you will get a floast stuck closed and no gas will get into the Carb.

BOO

Or one of the air tubes that actuate the diaphragm may be plugged with goo. When you pull the cover off, small hole at the bottom under the cover supplies vacuum to the back side of the diaphragm to actuate it. Worth a check.

With the motor off and the air box open, stick a long screwdriver down there and push the slider back. It should come back slowly, if it comes back fast, that's indicative of a bad diaphragm.

If the slider is scored or rough looking, could be sticking to the tube.

Dan

My 83 was the same way when I got it. The left rear slider would not slide. The diaphragm had come apart but had no holes. I just worked slowly pulling the slider out with my finger and then cleaned slider and inside with WD40 and worked it back and forth until it moved smoothly. Put diaphragm back together reinstalled everything and runs great. Be sure to check all your diaphragms, I was lucky and all mine had been replaced before I bought the bike. It's worth the trouble to keep these 83's running, lots of fun to ride.

My slider was doing the same thing Yamaha mechanic told me to test them with the long screw drive. If any of them did not slide easy or would hang up to take the cover off and I would most likely find the slide had come apart. He was right and all I had to do was put a little glue inside the two pieces and put it back together. It's also a good time to check the diaphams. Jerry

I had actually put the dang cover on without getting diaphragm sealed in its groove properly. I just got everything together. I took the carbs off and cleaned them. Appears there may be a bit of rusty tank issue. Carbs are clean now and I hope the fuel filter does its job! Also the sliders had like 4 washers in there for the needles. I went down to 3 and then two washers on the needle jets. I had actually cleaned up a bunch of issues like removing this canister on the left side, removing my yics, and plugging everything. I just need a good sync and I'm home free. Its running great right now!

Plenty of room to stick a extra filter in there. I did when I had rust issues. Put a good paper filter on end of line going to pump added a short piece of line and left it on outside where I could watch it and clean it out when needed. Had to replace that tank.

• 11 years later...

Exactly what I have happening now. Left rear slider not moving. Cylinder #1 I believe. Anyway, I removed the cover and carefully removed the diaphragm to inspect for holes. (shouldn't have any, replaced 2 years ago with less than 1000 kms on them) when I pulled the slider and diaphragm out, the black portion of the slider stayed put. I had to stick my finger into the slider to slide it out. Should that happen or should it be attached?

Do I need glue or a new slider?

Thanks in advance.

P. S.

I am getting better at doing this stuff alone. And what I mean is "without having delivered to Carl to save the day." :rotf:

Exactly what I have happening now. Left rear slider not moving. Cylinder #1 I believe. Anyway, I removed the cover and carefully removed the diaphragm to inspect for holes. (shouldn't have any, replaced 2 years ago with less than 1000 kms on them) when I pulled the slider and diaphragm out, the black portion of the slider stayed put. I had to stick my finger into the slider to slide it out. Should that happen or should it be attached?

Do I need glue or a new slider?

Thanks in advance.

P. S.

I am getting better at doing this stuff alone. And what I mean is "without having delivered to Carl to save the day." :rotf:

Tough luck, I got here first. Trying to avoid me or somethin?

Your slider fell apart, not a new thing. Check very, very closely to see if it's cracked, it could be eh. If it is cracked, it's history, but you are in luck, know where I can find one without going to Burlington.

Tough luck, I got here first. Trying to avoid me or somethin?

Your slider fell apart, not a new thing. Check very, very closely to see if it's cracked, it could be eh. If it is cracked, it's history, but you are in luck, know where I can find one without going to Burlington.

I could never avoid you. You know so many people in Ontario that I'm sure they report sightings to you so you can keep tabs on anyone you like. 😂

I will inspect it today. If it is good then I can glue it back together?

Burlington is a nice ride. 😀