In 1999 they brought out the 2nd Gen Venture, with the airbox behind the leg lowers, bigger carbs again, warmer cam etc.

Only the Venture and Royal Star Tour Deluxe from 2005 on have the 97 horse engine. I think they made some"Standard" Royal Stars in 1999 also, those would hev been the 67 horse version.

So the earliest RS that I can buy with the least amount of "add ons" and with 95 ponies is the 2005 RSTD. Alright.

Thanks.

I do not know what you are after, but the 05 and later RSTDs are virtually identical mechanically to the 99 and later RSVs (only difference besides paint is fairing, trunk, gas tank). All have 97 HP engines.

Goose

I do not know what you are after, but the 95 and later RSTDs are virtually identical mechanically to the 99 and later RSVs (only difference besides paint is fairing, trunk, gas tank). All have 97 HP engines.

Goose

Goose must have meant to say: but the 2005 and later RSTDs instead of but the 95 and later RSTDs .

I think that the following is correct and please "anybody" let us know if I am wrong. Note - I am excluding the First Generation:

The Royal Star was made from 1996 to 2001 with a 67 hp engine.

The Royal Star Venture was made from 1999 to present with the 96 hp engine.

The Royal Star Tour Deluxe was made from 2005 to present with the 96 hp engine.

The 1996 to 2001 model came in different versions and were named for example:

Tour Classic II

Tour Deluxe

Standard

Boulevard

They all had the same engine output 67 hp but could have a different setup like different sidebags, exhaust and add ons.

Edited by StarFan

Goose must have meant to say: but the 2005 and later RSTDs instead of but the 95 and later RSTDs .

You are absolutely correct - fat-fingered the 9 instead of the 0. I guess all those various 95, 96, 97, etc. numbers just kept my brain from recognizing my mistake. After all, I KNEW what I meant!

As for the exact HP number - I doubt if the difference between 95, 96 or 97 is even meaningful, but Yamahaha publishes this for the 2009 "Features":

• 79 cubic-inch liquid-cooled, V-four tuned to put out class-leading power — 97hp @ 6000 rpm and maximum torque at 89 ft.-lb. @ 4750 rpm — for incomparable touring performance.

Goose

The Power is always the same, just the Horses keep getting a bit stronger every Year. Some Day, they even will keep up with the 1Gen's.

My man! And this comes from the fastest rider on this site! (Maybe not yet, pesky break-in rules!)

I'm going to strip it to the bones, boys. I wanted to start with 95, OK 97 horse engine.

Here's a project bike I'm thinking about: Start with an RS of some type. Add VMAX cams and springs, VMax final, big air box, dyno, jets, coil clutch springs, some aftermarket pipes and loose everything that doesn't make the engine run, including the fake fins

:Bunny2: , chrome head covers, AIS, etc. I'll leave the seat.

So, I just thought that an RSTD would have less that I'd have to pay for and sell on ebay, but...

I was talking with an old salt today and he said just by an RS with the 75 horse engine and do everything above and you'll get the same result, i.e. say 120 horse and a 650 pound bike. So I'm thinking that this may be true, but only if Yamaha didn't change the valve port sizes (along with the carbs) taking the engine from 75 to 95.

Is this HP difference, dependant on the Size of the Carb throats ??

Maby thats the only real difference. What was it 28MM on the early ones, and 32 MM on the later ones. ??

Yep ! 28MM on the early ones, and 32 MM on the later ones. Lynn the Pegscraper wrote an excellent article about this in the tech section. Thoroughly explained to say the least. He has done this to his 1996 Royal Star so he knows all the fabs that needed to be done.