IGNORED

EZ-Pass in Fairing

Smilerider

First I would like to thank everyone for all the help on the few posts I have made. It is really great to have such a wealth of knowledge here.. So Thank you..

Now that I have sucked up a little, has anyone ever mounted an EZ-Pass in the front fairing? If so, did it work? I would like to hide it in the fairing so it is not visible.

I look forward to all the great information on this topic.. See a bit more sucking up... I

:bagpipes-emoticon: Ok, where ever this little guy came from I just love it!! hehe

If you ordered the one for motorcycles you can place it in any bag or in the fairing. I have mine inside my r saddle bad and never had a problem. I was told by the ez tag office that the motorcycle ones had a larger radio signal. Not sure but I have not recieved any notices and I have been using mine since July last year. Mine is stuck to the inside of the lid of the right bag. This is for Houston EZ tag so yours may be different be sure to check with the EZ tag store in your area.

I have the standard illinois IPASS. It works every time when I put in the pocket of my hopnell tank bib. I have not tried other locations because the tank pocket works well for me. I have heard from other riders that you can also put it in the trunk and it will work.

I mounted my standard EZ-Pass (PA doesn't give special motorcycle passes) to the inside of my trunk lid. It's up there with velcro, placed in the middle so that I can still get 2 helmets inside & close the lid. Never had any problems through several different states with different readers. It's quick, easy & out of the way. I can take a pic & post if you'd like.

Edited by SteveP

Thanks for the info so far. Being in NY I have the NY EZ-Pass and honestly i have had a bunch of trouble with it. It could just be that i have a defective one, but at times it hadn't even worked while holding it in my hand going through. I thought that if I put it in the front of the bike in the front fairing it would be the first to cross the line and it would be out of the way and not visible. Any pics would be great that anyone has..

Guest tx2sturgis
It could just be that i have a defective one, but at times it hadn't even worked while holding it in my hand going through. I thought that if I put it in the front of the bike in the front fairing it would be the first to cross the line and it would be out of the way and not visible.

Dont hold them in your hand...its a technical thing, but they need a bit of RF passing THRU them to activate...and your hand can interfere with that. Mounting one on the inside of a plastic fairing should work fine, UNLESS the paint used on the fairing is a metal flake type.

I used the 'Velcro' strips and stuck it to the bottom center of my windshield. I haven't had any problems with it. I don't use it often, so I don't mind it being on the windshield, and I tuned out the Velcro strips a long time ago.

edit - Actually, Pennsylvania does have MC specific EZ passes. They're good for a 25% break on tolls in the state (thank ABATE of PA) - if you don't have one specific for the motorcycle, you need to get one. It'll have a big green sticker with "MC" on the side that faces the overhead transponder.

Edited by whanna
Added PA EZ Pass info

Guest tx2sturgis
These things have a battery in them. that can go bad...

Some of them, mainly the sticker types, dont use a battery at all... in fact they are called batteryless...they are simply passive RFID tags, and the activating RF 'reads' the sticker, not unlike a barcode. Its not the same exactly, but its similar in that the sticker does not use a battery.

I have a Houston EZ Tag. The first one I got was the giant bar-style one used by semis. It is supposedly super powerful. Putting it in my saddle bag, it worked like crap. I went back and got the MC wallet-sized one. I put it in the right saddlebag pocket and it works nearly all the time.

It will sometimes NOT work when I am using an attended toll-booth. When it doesn't, I can reach back, open the saddlebag, and wave it at the attendant. They open the gates and let me through. If I had a fairing, I don't know if I would put it inside for that reason.

But the truth is that more often than not I will ride the paint between lanes and between detector loops so I don't get charged. I don't mind paying for the value the toll road represents; I just like being a rebel a dollar at a time.

• 1 month later...

I just got an I-pass and want to use it on my RSTD. If I stick it to the windshield, will it actually stay there or fall off? ---I also have a double pouch, yamaha tank bag. If I put it in the lower pouch, (with the velcro'd cover) it will face somewhat backward, will this work? that would be the safest and easiest for me.

Any comments?

Steve