IGNORED

Wide Leather Tank Panel with Pocket

Do you have to remove the rubber strip on the tank or does it go right over the top of it? Any tips would be appreciated.:think::think:

Not sure what you mean by "remove the rubber strip" but if you are reffering to the adhesive strip that is under the stock leather bib, I personally would remove it and replace this adhesive strip with new fresh double sided tape.

If you want a really good bond...remove the stock adhesive strip, clean the area of the tank with alcohol..not the whole gas tank now just the area where the bib was.

Now place a strip of the new two way tape onto the tank in the cleaned area

The place another strip of new two way tape onto the new leather bib (bottom side-duh), starting around the gas tank hole, carefully align the new bib as you carefully rub the tape together as you work towards the front edge of the drivers seat working out any bubbles or "lifts" in the leather.

:080402gudl_prv:

Guest tx2sturgis

I just installed mine over the rubber strip. I hid that useless headset connector under the ignition cover.

I removed the plastic rubber strip thats down the center of the tank. It looks alot better that way I think. I just kept the rubber strip in case I got tired of the leather bib.

Now this is what I am talking about: It looks alot better !!!!!!! :thumbsup2:

Edited by Eck

Not sure what you mean by "remove the rubber strip" but if you are reffering to the adhesive strip that is under the stock leather bib, I personally would remove it and replace this adhesive strip with new fresh double sided tape.

If you want a really good bond...remove the stock adhesive strip, clean the area of the tank with alcohol..not the whole gas tank now just the area where the bib was.

Now place a strip of the new two way tape onto the tank in the cleaned area

The place another strip of new two way tape onto the new leather bib (bottom side-duh), starting around the gas tank hole, carefully align the new bib as you carefully rub the tape together as you work towards the front edge of the drivers seat working out any bubbles or "lifts" in the leather.

:080402gudl_prv:

What Eck said...I did this with mine...took the original tape off...cleaned put new double sided tape down...been on since I got the 2006.....Very nice quality....

George In Virginia

How about treating leather with like camp dry or some sort of leather protectant before mounting any thoughts?

I would not do that myself..

but hey, they all say I'm different...just ask anyone here..:cool10: