IGNORED

Stupid Cager cost me $5!

Dave77459

I hit the donate button on the bar above for the second time just now.

On the way to work, it started raining. A turning car was stopped in the left lane, and I moved into center lane. I slowed, knowing, just knowing, one of the cars behind the obstructor would pull out.

The trailing Lexus did just that when I was within 30'. I hit the airhorn, but they kept coming. At that point, I could either hit the Lexus or go down. I went down, still blaring my horn. I slid 20' or so.

I'm unhurt... it was another slow-motion go-down. My bike is unhurt too, thanks to the crash bars.

But I am angry at the Lexus, who not only didn't stop to render aid at the accident they caused, but zoomed off at warp speed. That ticks me off.

Anyways, as is the custom, I donated $5 to the site following this latest incident. I am grateful for the community here, and this is a small thing to help it survive. If you've had a drop and haven't donated, this is your reminder.

How is it that laying the bike down prevented you from hitting the lexus?

You slid 20' on the crash bars and came to a stop. It's seems you could have stopped in 15' on the tires.

glad to hear you are ok.

My first reaction was to hit the brakes and swerve, but the tires began to slide on the slick pavement. Kinetics favored going down.

It was my understanding that the 5 bucks was if you dropped the bike, not laid it down to avoid an accident.

Glad you and the bike are ok.

I chipped in the $5 because this site let me vent out of eyesite of my wife. That's worth $5 to me, and yes, it helps Don out.

Same here, but it helps Don out............

Actually, Paul, I started the donation "thing" based on the practice of a club with which I ride. $5 for a dropped bike, $10 for a crashed bike. The difference being 5mph. Under is a drop, over is a crash! Unfortunately I've put in $20!!! But it is for a great cause!

Glad you are ok, Dave. It sucks when something like that happens.

Make you wanta kick some a$$! :buttkick:

• 7 months later...
Actually, Paul, I started the donation "thing" based on the practice of a club with which I ride. $5 for a dropped bike, $10 for a crashed bike. The difference being 5mph. Under is a drop, over is a crash! Unfortunately I've put in $20!!! But it is for a great cause!

Glad you are ok, Dave. It sucks when something like that happens.

Make you wanta kick some a$$! :buttkick:

[/quote

I just hit the donation button for $ 10 as I had two embarrassing drops this summer and both times I was either with my other riding group (Star) or the Hog group that also rides out of the same HD dealership we do. Nothing hurt but my ego. :95:

• 5 months later...

I have in the past slowed expecting a car to pull out and people behind me get mad becasue I slowed down.... they dont understand that everyone in front of a motorcycle is in a hurry just like everyone behind it... P*ss on them I worry about my own safety...

I have in the past slowed expecting a car to pull out and people behind me get mad becasue I slowed down.... they dont understand that everyone in front of a motorcycle is in a hurry just like everyone behind it... P*ss on them I worry about my own safety...

Every one of those cage drivers should ride a motorcycle for a day... they would soon realize what we all have to deal with (stupid ignorant cage drivers) every day we ride. Maybe, just maybe then it will be a safer world for us out there.

"SilvrT

Every one of those cage drivers should ride a motorcycle for a day... they would soon realize what we all have to deal with (stupid ignorant cage drivers) every day we ride. Maybe, just maybe then it will be a safer world for us out there."

Nah, just put them in the rodeo ring, in there cage, with about 30 truck and let the trucks take their frustrations out on the same cagers we have to deal with.

:255:

• 2 years later...

OK, so is that $5 per drop? Per day? For instance if set on it's side twice the first day? Once to the amusement of a passing motorist.

I've been riding a LOT of years, but the added length, weight, and different turning characteristics of the VR took me by surprise.

I'm just glad it was the "beater" bike and not the "new" cherry 86.

OK, so is that $5 per drop? Per day? For instance if set on it's side twice the first day? Once to the amusement of a passing motorist.

I've been riding a LOT of years, but the added length, weight, and different turning characteristics of the VR took me by surprise.

I'm just glad it was the "beater" bike and not the "new" cherry 86.

I think $5 buys you a "Day Ticket".

I too am a believer in getting people out on two wheels before they drive four.

Just riding a scooter, moped or small motorcycle builds an incredible amount of road-sense very quickly. You gain an understanding of road conditions, surfaces and traffic behaviour vastly more quickly than in a car, and you develop an appreciation of other road users that some car drivers never have.

I would favour leaving the driving age for small capacity motorcycles at 16, and raising the car driving age to 18 .... and making it a condition of a car license that two wheel training had been taken, and a test passed.

No one would be forced to ride a motorcycle, but they would be required at least to demonstrate that they can ride one, and most of them would love it ... especially if that's all the transport they could have before 18.

For the price of a small amount of regulation and very modest capital outlay we could give a massive boost to an entire industry, as well as make the roads much safer for everyone ... and reduce congestion and save oil.

Just once I'd like to catch one of those suckers that runs away knowing what they did. I've paid the 5 bucks several times but would pay more to catch one of them....Hey I know people in jail. I could probally get a extra tray now & then and a cell to myself..