Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Positive Crankcase Ventilation

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick update. To date, I am getting about 9% better mileage since this mod. I went for averaging 31 pulling my trailer to 33.75 (average). A few more tanks will help lower my margin of error.

I don't know enough to determine if it's an "emissions neutral" mod. But I don't...well...never mind.

Wish they would put an actual valve on the thing like in cars & trucks.
    Last edited by Monsta; 04-21-2009 at 03:19 AM.

United States
    PA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Thanks for the Update!

Hey Ken,
    Thanks for updating us on the increased gas mileage you're seeing on you Second Gen. RSV. I too saw an increase in mileage, but the real savings for me was the fact that I don't have the oily mess in my Airbox any more and the general performance of my 87'VR is much better. It's great news that the mod worked for you and it was my pleasure to help you with it.
    Earl
    Hidden Content

I WOULD RATHER RIDE MY BIKE TO THE LIMIT, THAN HAVE MY BIKE LIMIT MY RIDING. BUT THAT'S JUST ME.Hidden Content

United States
    TN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Positive Crankcase Ventilation

the oily mess in the intake system of auto engines is why various manufacurers now make air/oil separators for their cars/trucks and the aftermarket has several options to be installed...

Moroso http://www.shopmoroso.com/eb/catalog...nuId=main.menu

or http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...63433/10002/-1

or

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video...-a-2009-cts-v/

food for thought....and camp fire discussion

4. Thanks BlueSky gave thanks for this post
    United States
    PA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have seen a little bit of oil around my air filters, but it never really bothered me. I consistently stay on top of it and keep wiping away whatever I can reach by hand. My bike has no mods at all and it runs like a champ. Ride Safe.
    '07 Venture
    Keep On Riding!

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new to me 86s airbox is flooded with oil, and leaked all down the valve cover. Oil separator is in the works.
    I fab'd up one for my worn turbo 2.3 ford lima motor and the amount of goop that ends up in there is nasty. Used an inverted pcv valve to let out pressure and when in vacuum the valve shuts and its closed loop.
    Aluminum water bottle with o ring top, ss wool stuffed full, inlet a few inches from the bottom and return just below the neck and 3/4" hose.
    Tried an air compressor air water seperator but it was just not up to the task.
    Its perfect for the 86 tho...

United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the main reasons oil gets blown out is overfilling the oil when changing it! With the bike cold and level, the oil level should NOT be above 1/2 way up the sight glass...

United States
    PA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This thread is like my ex-wife, it keeps poppin' up in my world to haunt me! lol. At the risk of ripping off the band-aid on an old wound, I have created a kit that has everything you need to install a Crankcase Vent Filter on a FIRST GEN. VENTURE. I don't know if this mod will fit a Second Gen. because I don't own one. (and usually they can't keep up with me so I rarely get to see one!) Just kiddin' guys! Please use this kit responsibly, The vent filter in this kit is washable and reusable, so when you notice oil collecting on the outside of the filter, do the right thing and wash it out and reinstall the filter. This kit comes with complete written instructions, and EVERY part you will need. It takes an hour or two to install this kit. Here is the link to the kit.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/ph...upgrade&cat=17

This is what I know for sure. I have had this vent filter on my 87'VR for 8 years. (I now have one on my 89'VR as well) I have washed the filter three times. I clean my K&N air filter every year and to this day, I have not found one drop of engine oil in the air box. I rebuilt my Carbs. eight years ago, and they are as clean as the day I rebuilt them. I have never had oil dripping from the vent filter. My bike has been inspected yearly and I have never had an issue with the state inspector over the vent filter. I live in Pennsylvania. If putting this mod on your bike makes you uncomfortable, then by all means, don't install this mod on your bike! With that being said, if you have a First Gen. with an air box full of oil, or your Carbs. are brown and crusty from sucking oil into them, or you have trashed a few air filters because of oil in your air box, then this Crankcase Vent Filter Kit may be the answer you are looking for. As always, we are ALL adults here, and you must make the decision that this kit is something you can live with. If you have questions about the kit, or questions in general, please feel free to PM me.
    Earl
    Last edited by skydoc_17; 11-06-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: CRAYON BROKE!
    Hidden Content

I WOULD RATHER RIDE MY BIKE TO THE LIMIT, THAN HAVE MY BIKE LIMIT MY RIDING. BUT THAT'S JUST ME.Hidden Content

9. Likes snyper316 liked this post
    United States
    WV
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a vent kit from somebody I think? It must be on the shelf. Intended for Brown Sugar!! Somewhere I that jungle called a garage....
    1st GENS RULE
    Faded Blue is the fastest.
    "Blue Beast" will live forever

Tasmania Australia
    Ta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i modified mine about 3 months ago [sick of the oil in the air cleaner] i bent up some 3/8 aluminium tube from a car aircon system to a fuel filter them en extra 3" of rubber tube above the filter right up under the tank my plan was the oil could travel up till it reaches the filter [using it as a catch can] any fumes have to go through the fuel filter up through the extra rubber tube if any oil settles in the filter when the motor is off it will run back down the tube back into the motor i then filled with oil to the top of the sight glass i am happy to say i have clean air filter and no oil out the top of the fuel filter tube .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07612.jpg  

12. Likes bootjack liked this post
    Canada
    QC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am planning on this mod for the sake
    of keeping the air side of the carbuteror
    clean.

if you install a breater, do the oil fumes make a mess in the valley or does only air escape?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12