IGNORED

Positive Crankcase Ventilation

Can I get rid of it?

I want to remove the breather tube that goes from the crankcase to the intake. Can I remove it and put something in its place like a filter or something?

Even with perfect oil level it makes my intake box oily.

Hey Ken,

I just did this to my 87"VR after installing a K&N air filter and had to keep washing and re-oiling it because of the oil coming from the Crankcase Vent Tube. I don't own a 2nd Gen. but don't see why you couldn't do the same. I plugged the two holes in the Airbox, Removed the two lines and the "TEE" from the crankcase vent tube and picked up a vent filter from EBAY. a K&N vent filter is in the $25.00 range but I found a few "off brands" that were in the $8.00 range that worked just fine. I don't know what the diameter of your vent tube is on your 2nd Gen. but I got the 15MM size for my 87"VR and it slipped right on. The vent tube filter comes with a hose clamp and a "little big" is better than a "little small". My vent tube is in such a bad place that I didn't want it to be too tight because it needs to be removed and cleaned from time to time. You may not have this, but I did! There was a very small water line going from the thermostat housing to the engine case right next to the crankcase vent tube and I had to remove the line, install the vent filter, then reinstall the coolant line. I replaced the coolant line with a new one since mine was 22 years old. I have had mine on for three months now and it still looks like new. Plus the Airbox is dry as a bone!:sign woo hoo:

I have attached the pics of the upgrade so you can get an Idea of how it goes. If you have any questions, PM me and I will help you all I can.

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17

Earl, that's what I wanna do! Guess I'm wondering if without vacuum "pulling" the air out of the crankcase will I run into problems or is it positively ventilated due to emissions regulations. :think:

````````

My oil level is dead in the center of the lines. :)

Hey Ken,

When I originally did a write-up on this mod a few months ago, a few members played the "oil level" game with me and a few more played the you're "Killing the Ozone" game as well. The design of the crankcase vent tube is to vacuum the combustion from the crankcase and redirect it to the air box where it will be recycled into the engine again.

Here is WHAT I KNOW about this system on my 1987VR: When I added the K&N Filter the increased airflow was not only pulling the crankcase gases into the air box but a pretty good amount of oil vapor that ended up pooling in the bottom of the air box. When I removed the crankcase vent line and placed my finger on the crankcase metal vent tube there was positive pressure coming from the crankcase so I didn't feel that there was a need for a vacuum source to properly "vent" the crankcase. I can tell you for sure that since I plugged the crankcase vent holes in the air box and my engine is getting a "full shot" of clean air without it being mixed with oil vapor my bike runs much better, doesn't sputter and I have checked the air filter twice since the upgrade and it has not needed to be cleaned and there has not been one drop of oil in the bottom of the air box. Also I was using Carb. Cleaner on my Carbs every 6 months to remove the "varnish" from the intake of the oil vapor, 3 months after the upgrade, my Carbs. are as clean as the day I did the upgrade. I know these things for sure. I am assuming that at some time in the future I will need to remove the vent tube filter, wash it out, and reinstall it due to it collecting the oil vapor. I have noticed for sure that because there is no artificial vacuum attached to the vent tube the amount of oil vapor has been reduced greatly. Even after a hard multi-hundred mile ride I have yet to see any smoke "billowing" from the vent tube filter. These are the things I know for sure about this upgrade, Any tree hugger that thinks I'm killing off some chunk of rain Forrest in some third world country is speculating....AT BEST! As for you Ken, you have to decide what you feel "warm and fuzzy" about, It was a no brainer for me, The bike winds up quicker, better performance, less maintenance and looks cleaner. I have added a pic of the crankcase vent filter installed with all hoses reinstalled.

My thoughts about my bike,

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
STARTED TO GET ON MY SOAPBOX!

Wow Earl, makes perfect sense! :D

While I care about the environment my other vehicle is a Ford Excursion with a V10. Take it for what it's worth. :whistling: I'll be sourcing a filter here in the next day or two. Thanks for the reaffirmation.

• 2 weeks later...
The bike winds up quicker, better performance,

WOWZERS! Is Earl ever right!

I just pulled the tube to the airbox to try it out since I had the tank off to wire up an ignition bypass switch.

The bike winds up faster, pulls a lot stronger...especially with my trailer. It just feels better. Makes sense since it's got a much cleaner mixture to burn now. There really is a strong seat-of-the-pants difference. Everybody should do it. :happy34:

Thanks for the nudge to do it Earl!

Still gotta find a filter.... :whistling:

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the kind words! I don't usually brag about a fix I have done on my VRs unless it actually works.

I checked on Ebay and at the present time, the company I got my crankcase vent filter from (Auto Performance) is not offering any vent filters. Here is the email address of the company I bought mine from, I'm sure they will sell you one direct or list an auction on Ebay for you to purchase one.

sales@auto-performance.co.uk

I did find a K&N crankcase vent filter on Ebay that will work, Ken you need to verify that your crankcase vent tube is 15MM or approx. 5/8" diameter. I don't own a Second Gen. so I have no way of checking this out for you. I tried to post a link but it would not work. Here is the Ebay auction item number, type this number in the search box and it should take you right to it.

If you find out that the vent tube diameter is something other than 15MM, PM me and I will find one that will work for you.

One final note, the other reason I chose the crankcase vent filter in the pic was because it was cone shaped and fit better than the K&N filter who's diameters were the same at the top and bottom of the filter. You will need to verify that you have the room for the K&N filter, if you don't have the room like I did, contact Auto Performance, and they will fix you up.:080402gudl_prv:

Hope this helps,

Earl

WOWZERS! Is Earl ever right!

Everybody should do it. :happy34:

:soapbox:No, everyone should NOT do it.

Not only is it a needless and irresponsible decision to add unnecessary pollutants to our air, it is a violation of federal law. :95:

I am not going to get into an argument or attack anyone for their decisions on this site, but when someone advocates an irresponsible act that harms us all, I must at least ask others to not make that decision. It is wrong, and it does damage. It also may reduce the resale value of your vehicle. Thank you for listening.

Goose

This would work even better when you make a short Tube with both Ends closed and a Fitting for the Vent Hose and a Connector to place the new Filter in a upright Position above the Tube.

This would collect all bypassed Oil Fumes in the Tube and let out pressurized Air coming with along with the Oil Fumes. The Tube mustn't be too long, as wide as to fit above the front Cylinder Bank is enough.

Edited by Squeeze

How about fabricating an enclosure of some type, to mount a filter inside. Run a line from the Crankase vent to the new filter. then a vent line down under the engin so that moveing air would create a suction. With low points to gather the Oil, and this could be seviced at regular intervals. And the filter cleaned or changed also.

?? Just speculating, there must be some way to do it to satisfy everybody.

When a brother VentureRider.Org member starts a thread asking for help with their bike, I have NEVER refused them ANY information I have on the few subjects that I have knowledge about. As it was for me when I first joined this group. A portion of the members took a liken' to me and shared the information they had, walked me thru the fixes, and shared in the pride of knowing that between the two (or more) of us we were able to repair my bike or upgrade an issue that was causing me trouble.

For anyone who thinks that their 98 horse power MOTORCYCLE isn't putting enough hydro-carbons out of the tailpipes to kill off more than a few trees, or their car or truck for that matter, should live in a state where they "smog check" every vehicle, then you would get an idea just how bad vehicle pollution is. I'm sure we ALL do our fair share of destroying the ozone with the vehicles we drive/ride, the places we work, the trash we throw away, etc. This old saying comes to mind, and it goes like this: "People that live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones!"

So unless you live in a mud hut, WALK everywhere you go, wear animal skins for clothes, and of course NEVER ride your motorcycle anywhere, perhaps you might consider confining your "politically correct" comments to some other forum and leave the repair and upgrading of motorcycles to the people who are interested in repairing and upgrading their motorcycles!

I apologize to Ken for hijacking this thread, after all the man said he had a problem with his bike, I had the same problem and told him what I did to fix it, Isn't that what we are all here for? If I wanted to "hug trees" I'd join the Sierra Club.org, not VentureRider.Org.

My name is Earl Harrell (skydoc_17) and that's how I feel about this subject.

:soapbox:No, everyone should NOT do it.

Not only is it a needless and irresponsible decision to add unnecessary pollutants to our air, it is a violation of federal law.

I am not going to get into an argument or attack anyone for their decisions on this site, but when someone advocates an irresponsible act that harms us all, I must at least ask others to not make that decision. It is wrong, and it does damage. It also may reduce the resale value of your vehicle. Thank you for listening.

Goose

Ummm Goose...your post IS an attack. I mean, c'mon...that little red dude on the soap box is cussing at me! :hihi: It's okay. I respect your opinion but prefer the increased performance and less oily mess. Wonder if I'll get better mileage. Hmmm if so...that may make the mod emissions neutral.

FWIW, I live on an island with the world's most active volcano. The amount of sulfur dioxide & carbon dioxide it emits in ONE DAY exceeds what my RSV will emit in 100 years.

Edited by Monsta

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. To date, I am getting about 9% better mileage since this mod. I went for averaging 31 pulling my trailer to 33.75 (average). A few more tanks will help lower my margin of error.

I don't know enough to determine if it's an "emissions neutral" mod. :think: But I don't...well...never mind. :rolleyes:

Wish they would put an actual valve on the thing like in cars & trucks.

Edited by Monsta

Hey Ken,

Thanks for updating us on the increased gas mileage you're seeing on you Second Gen. RSV. I too saw an increase in mileage, but the real savings for me was the fact that I don't have the oily mess in my Airbox any more and the general performance of my 87'VR is much better. It's great news that the mod worked for you and it was my pleasure to help you with it.:thumbsup2:

Earl

• 8 years later...

I also have seen a little bit of oil around my air filters, but it never really bothered me. I consistently stay on top of it and keep wiping away whatever I can reach by hand. My bike has no mods at all and it runs like a champ. Ride Safe.

The new to me 86s airbox is flooded with oil, and leaked all down the valve cover. Oil separator is in the works.

I fab'd up one for my worn turbo 2.3 ford lima motor and the amount of goop that ends up in there is nasty. Used an inverted pcv valve to let out pressure and when in vacuum the valve shuts and its closed loop.

Aluminum water bottle with o ring top, ss wool stuffed full, inlet a few inches from the bottom and return just below the neck and 3/4" hose.

Tried an air compressor air water seperator but it was just not up to the task.

Its perfect for the 86 tho...

This thread is like my ex-wife, it keeps poppin' up in my world to haunt me! lol. At the risk of ripping off the band-aid on an old wound, I have created a kit that has everything you need to install a Crankcase Vent Filter on a FIRST GEN. VENTURE. I don't know if this mod will fit a Second Gen. because I don't own one. (and usually they can't keep up with me so I rarely get to see one!) Just kiddin' guys! Please use this kit responsibly, The vent filter in this kit is washable and reusable, so when you notice oil collecting on the outside of the filter, do the right thing and wash it out and reinstall the filter. This kit comes with complete written instructions, and EVERY part you will need. It takes an hour or two to install this kit. Here is the link to the kit.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=427&title=first-gen-crankcase-vent-filter-upgrade&cat=17

This is what I know for sure. I have had this vent filter on my 87'VR for 8 years. (I now have one on my 89'VR as well) I have washed the filter three times. I clean my K&N air filter every year and to this day, I have not found one drop of engine oil in the air box. I rebuilt my Carbs. eight years ago, and they are as clean as the day I rebuilt them. I have never had oil dripping from the vent filter. My bike has been inspected yearly and I have never had an issue with the state inspector over the vent filter. I live in Pennsylvania. If putting this mod on your bike makes you uncomfortable, then by all means, don't install this mod on your bike! With that being said, if you have a First Gen. with an air box full of oil, or your Carbs. are brown and crusty from sucking oil into them, or you have trashed a few air filters because of oil in your air box, then this Crankcase Vent Filter Kit may be the answer you are looking for. As always, we are ALL adults here, and you must make the decision that this kit is something you can live with. If you have questions about the kit, or questions in general, please feel free to PM me.

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
CRAYON BROKE!

i modified mine about 3 months ago [sick of the oil in the air cleaner] i bent up some 3/8 aluminium tube from a car aircon system to a fuel filter them en extra 3" of rubber tube above the filter right up under the tank my plan was the oil could travel up till it reaches the filter [using it as a catch can] any fumes have to go through the fuel filter up through the extra rubber tube if any oil settles in the filter when the motor is off it will run back down the tube back into the motor i then filled with oil to the top of the sight glass i am happy to say i have clean air filter and no oil out the top of the fuel filter tube .

DSC07612.jpg

• 2 years later...