IGNORED

replace cassette with aftermarket radio?

cochrans58

:icon_smile_question 2003 Venture. Haven't seen this exactly in search of posts. Has anyone removed cassette and replaced with aftermarket audio? I realize would require losing door and trimming opening to fit. I hate stock audio system. Don't use CB or intercom. Would give away stock audio unit to anyone interested. Just looking for advice, I don't need to re-invent wheel (just maybe audio system).

Thanks for any input!

You can remove the tape deck without affecting anything else.

You can mount any device that uses a walkman type jack and plug it into the aux port on the front of the tape deck, or if you have removed the tape deck plug into the jack left when the deck was removed. Some have mounted MP3 on handlebars or in the tape deck opening.

Check in the "technical" read-only sections. Freebird has tech articles with pictures. One project was removing the tape deck and replacing with a equalizer. There is also one on upgrading the speakers.

Many of the "starglide" conversions (removing trunk similar to electraglide) have removed the CB system from under the truck.

I do not know of anybody totally removing the factory tuner (some because the intercom is integral to the tuner, some because the intercom is required to talk back to the bluetooth cell phone controller in a ZUMO, some because the CB is "controlled" by the tuner) from an RSV and installing something else from scratch, but I am sure somebody has. But quite a few have added music systems onto thier RSTD and will probably chime in with some help.

I am sure any kind of "marine" (water resistant) unit would work. My old GL1200 interstate just had a regular head unit from a car, but had a faceplate I bought from JC Whitney that had a clear door that flipped down over the face to protect it from rain. I have not some a faceplate like that for sale for years though.

I have removed the tape deck in its entirety. I listen to the MP3 built into my Zumo 550. Some have bought XM anttenas that plug into the ZUMO.

Edited by OutKast

• 1 month later...

you can still get those faceplates with the clear plastic flip up lens, just go to a boat supplier. I put one on my boat last year but I dont remember the name of the company, it was one of them that send you catologues for years after you buy one thing though.