IGNORED

Night riding on the interstates -- what's the big deal?

Dave77459

I decided to take my bike from Houston to San Antonio for a public meeting in the evening. It was 8:30 when the meeting ended, so I enjoyed a peaceful night ride home. Little traffic on I-10, only two cars that I passed. Bunch of trucks, mostly in platoons. More often, there was no one in front or behind me. My RSTD purred like a kitten, loving the cool night air. It was an easy, easy ride.

The only bad thing was getting home near midnight, 411 miles on the OD. I had to sleep fast because the alarm still went off at 5:30.

And yet, today my seldom-riding friends expressed near shock that I would be stupid/brave enough to ride at night. I've heard it a few times before, and I am left scratching my head. What is their reasoning? All they can say is it is dangerous, and they hate riding at night.

Heck, I added passing lamps and LED tail lights so I could ride at night. I am probably more noticeable at night than during the day. I have good night vision... maybe they don't.

What do you think? Do you like the super slabs at night?

I love night riding. I do a lot of night riding around central Ontario and have seen a fair share of critters large and small. As long as your not burnin up the highways and ride at the speed limt, sit back & relax, and simply enjoy. Moonlite is great for cruisin.

Super slabs I don't mind riding at night...

back roads however give me the "heebie-jeebies", because of deer..

Yes, deer can be on the super slabs too, but more often on back roads..

I leave for work at 4:30 am. More than once I've taken off after 1 or 2 in the morning and hit the highway for a couple of hours before hitting the clock. I'm wide awake and grinning when I show up for work. My boss thinks I'm out of my mind. But then again he puts about 500 miles a year on his HD so I don't cut him much slack. That's a weekend ride for me. He lives 30 miles from the store and that's too far to ride the bike. Why he owns a bike I have no idea.

for extra visibality, put on a high visibialty vest, like they wear at construciton sites...

The hardcore, black leather only wearing bikers will laugh at it, but if it gets you home alive, I am all for it!!!!!!!

Here is the idea:

http://www.duckol.com/uploadFiles/upimg11/High-Visibility-Vest-Reflective-Vest-Safety-Vest--.jpg

But then again he puts about 500 miles a year on his HD so I don't cut him much slack. That's a weekend ride for me. He lives 30 miles from the store and that's too far to ride the bike. Why he owns a bike I have no idea.

Mybe if he had a smooth running, highly reliable Venture, he would ride more. :witch_brew::stickpoke:

Once a week (weather permitting) I am riding home from work at 2am. I too, worry most about the 15 miles of back roads because of deer and drunks. Not too many drunks though at 2am Tuesday.

Super slabs I don't mind riding at night...

back roads however give me the "heebie-jeebies", because of deer..

Yes, deer can be on the super slabs too, but more often on back roads..

Yep, what Rod, er, Eck said........:whistling:

I can't see why people would have a problem with night riding and your a lot more visible to cages and yes deer can be a problem but just keep scaning the road sides way ahead of you and you will note the amber eyes glowing and just slow down some.

I think moose are much harder to see at night than deer because they are nearly black and their eyes do not "glow" in the headlights. These animals are big enough to be a major threat regardless of the vehicle your driving.

I hope to enjoy my night riding a lot more soon after I have my cataract surgery. This last month my left eye is like I am looking through wax paper. I am scheduled for a final review on the surgery on the 30th and hope to get a lot better soon.:cool17:

RandyA

Youll love having the cataract surgery done,it will clear up your day vision instantly, BUT for me it took about 6 months to get all my night vision back after having both eyes done. Good luck Randy!

Brian

The main problem I have with riding at night are the bugs. Bugs are bad enough in the daylight but after one night ride I have to clean all those bugs off everything and they are a lot of them. Then like has already been said the critters. Deer, raccoon, possum, armadillo's, rabbits, but look on the bright side in daylight you are dodging squirrels, dogs, cats, and kids.

Harry:biker:

for extra visibality, put on a high visibialty vest, like they wear at construciton sites...

The hardcore, black leather only wearing bikers will laugh at it, but if it gets you home alive, I am all for it!!!!!!!

Here is the idea:

http://www.duckol.com/uploadFiles/upimg11/High-Visibility-Vest-Reflective-Vest-Safety-Vest--.jpg

US Military bases require riders to wear those. I kept asking why I needed a reflective vest when I had headlights and a taillight. The MP's just stared blankly.

Thougt about putting a strobe on top of my helmet for a while, but they still would have made me wear the vest...:confused24:

I only live 17mi from work. usally its dark in the mornings going to work - city 6am, off work at Wal-Mart it is 11pm - two jobs, so I have no problems riding at night it really helps me to relax.

But the guys at work are week end worriors that stay indoors after dark

Plus they donot ride their bikes unless its above 70 degrees.:rotfl:

Buddy

I hope to enjoy my night riding a lot more soon after I have my cataract surgery. This last month my left eye is like I am looking through wax paper. I am scheduled for a final review on the surgery on the 30th and hope to get a lot better soon.:cool17:

RandyA

Best of luck with the surgery. I'll send a special smoke signal up to the Big Chief!

I posted earlier and has anyone played around with lighting in the inferred range on the front of their bikes? I have in the woods and my back yard and the eyes of animals just glow from it, wonder if it can be used with the white lighting we use and still work for spotting deer or moose* (*just a very large deer)

I decided to take my bike from Houston to San Antonio for a public meeting in the evening. It was 8:30 when the meeting ended, so I enjoyed a peaceful night ride home. Little traffic on I-10, only two cars that I passed. Bunch of trucks, mostly in platoons. More often, there was no one in front or behind me. My RSTD purred like a kitten, loving the cool night air. It was an easy, easy ride.

The only bad thing was getting home near midnight, 411 miles on the OD. I had to sleep fast because the alarm still went off at 5:30.

And yet, today my seldom-riding friends expressed near shock that I would be stupid/brave enough to ride at night. I've heard it a few times before, and I am left scratching my head. What is their reasoning? All they can say is it is dangerous, and they hate riding at night.

Heck, I added passing lamps and LED tail lights so I could ride at night. I am probably more noticeable at night than during the day. I have good night vision... maybe they don't.

What do you think? Do you like the super slabs at night?

I love it too. Very Peacful. I leave for work at 3:30 AM. That ride in is great. The only thing you really have to watch for are animals, especially Deer. However, I believe you have a lot more room to see them on the Interstate verses a 2 lane. Of course some Interstates are better than others at night and the time of day makes a difference, but all in all my favorite time to ride!:thumbsup:

I ride anytime the situation presents itself....day or night, interstate or back roads. I live in rural GA and the deer are the biggest threat to us be it day or night. I slow down a bit at night and I keep a close eye on the road sides more so than day riding. I live 25 miles from work and ride my scoot to work every day during summer and occationally in the winter. I leave the house at 5:30 every morning and it is dark during my commute to work. We have wild pigs in my area and I have to keep an eye out for those too but you don't tend to see them as much as deer.