Hola,

My first post on this site. I am syre the air filter replacement procedures are not difficult on my 2008 RSTD but I am not sure of them. Do I need to remove the cowling? Are there any technical docs on this subject?

Knifeeven

They are held on by two bolts and the hose clamp to the intake tube behind. Once you take off the housing, you will quickly see the screws to open it up.

They are easy to replace. You don't absolutely have to remove the lower cowlings, but it sure makes access to the top bolts easier. If you want to try it with the cowling in place, I find that I can remove the top bolt with a socket on a 1/4" drive swivel joint. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I am very close to tire replacement. Currently the stock Bridgestones are on there. I ride 80 miles a day to work and home minimum. July I will be riding a 3000 mile round trip to Oklahoma.

I have been reading a bit on the tire front but am unsure which way to go. Back with Stock or move to Avon Venom. Any experience in this realm?

:255:

There are MANY MANY threads here on tires and what to choose. Here is just one:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16007&highlight=tires

In short, I feel that the stock Brickstone tires are absolutely the WORST handling tires you can ever have on this bike. Changing to ANY other brand will give you dramatic improvement. Metzeler tires on this bike are absolutely the most dangerous. Period.

Avons in stock sizes are my personal choice. You will be amazed at the dramatic improvement.

It is hard to convince anyone to change tires before they are worn out, but if you have crappy Brickstone tires on THIS bike, you need to get rid of them. NOW. ESPECIALLY the rear tire.

Goose

Hola,

My first post on this site. I am syre the air filter replacement procedures are not difficult on my 2008 RSTD but I am not sure of them. Do I need to remove the cowling? Are there any technical docs on this subject?

Knifeeven

Knifeeven,

It is not a bad job at all. I would reccomend the K&N air filter to replace the stock. They are pricy, but you only have to do this once with this filter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...
There are MANY MANY threads here on tires and what to choose. Here is just one:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16007&highlight=tires

In short, I feel that the stock Brickstone tires are absolutely the WORST handling tires you can ever have on this bike. Changing to ANY other brand will give you dramatic improvement. Metzeler tires on this bike are absolutely the most dangerous. Period.

Avons in stock sizes are my personal choice. You will be amazed at the dramatic improvement.

It is hard to convince anyone to change tires before they are worn out, but if you have crappy Brickstone tires on THIS bike, you need to get rid of them. NOW. ESPECIALLY the rear tire.

Goose

I have had matching sets of Longlife Metzeler MEs on different Bikes, including my 2007 RSV. I have no issues with them. Very good control and wear well.

It may well be that they had a bad batch somewhere along the line, but it hasn't affected my purchases or riding.