IGNORED

Beartooth & Chief Joseph Highways

petekadish

This July, our Star Chapter from Salt Lake City, Utah is headed to Star Days. During this trip, we'll be riding the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways in Wyoming and Montana. Somehow, before I began planning this trip, I had never heard much about these highways. Now, after doing some research I'm thinking ... where have I been? How have I not heard about these rides? From what I have read on-line so far, The Beartooth is like riding in the mountains of Switzerland. Charles Kerault (the late CBS news reporter), declared the Beartooth "America's most beautiful highway". Along with the Beartooth, I have been reading about the connecting Chief Joseph Highway. It also looks totally amazing. I can't wait!

So, I would really enjoy hearing about anyone here who has ridden these roads and anyone who might also be making this trip in July.

In the meantime ... think warm thoughts,and let's hope for an early spring!

Thanks!

Pete.

i've done them both, they are great awesome rides.....check out the signs on the chief joseph that give the dates of the rock strata.......weather is unpredictable and you should be ok at the summits on both roads... but it will still be chilly at the tops...enjoy it........

Pete-

Beartooth Pass is an awesome ride. We rode it in July of '07 and fought rain going from Yellowstone to Red Lodge so it wasn't all that enjoyable but on the way back a few days later it was great. We stopped at the rest stop on the East side of the summit and from there you can see five points on the road leading up to the rest area because of the way the road switches back and forth.

I haven't been on the Chief Joseph highway yet but plan on taking that ride in September while we're in Cody at the Roundup. I would be interested in your opinion and pics when you get back.

Dave

The Beartooth is my favorite ride. Irene and I rode it first in '91 on an '85 1st Gen. We last rode it on an '06 RSV on the way to Ft. Collins in '07. If I'm going within two states I have to go.

I like to spend the night in Billings then head out for food in Red Lodge. From there up the Beartooth, stopping occasionally to gawk and take pics. Left at the Chief Joseph and over Dead Indian Pass and down into Cody. West out of Cody goes right into the park.

We have pics and video on our site http://home.comcast.net/~s_bumgardner under Western Vacation 2007.

Without a doubt the most beautiful and breathtaking ride in the U.S. Steve and I rode it again before the Ft Collins Rally. After the ralley we did Pikes Peak and Mt. Evans. Told him I had left nothing at either place and had no desire to go back. But I would go ride the Beartooth in a heartbeat.

Do em both....every chance you get You will like them. Stop in Cooke City and Red Lodge, both interesting. Red Lodge has some good places to eat. Cody has good motels...there's a nice Best Western there and go to the Buffalo Bill Museum. You can walk from the motel. You'll see lots of bikes in the area.

We ride Beartooth & Chief Joseph at least once a season. We may not be able to ride in the winter, but we do what we can to make up for it when the snow goes away!

Take warm wind-proof riding clothes, a camera, and don't be in a hurry. The scenery is stunning. You will likely find some rocks and gravel on the road. The road is usually open by early June.

Anyone made this ride coming from the west? (Ellensburg, Wa. right in the middle of the state) Planning on doing Yellowstone and Beartooth in late July. Also want to work in Lolo Pass, maybe on the way back. I've heard that Lolo is kind of "ride to the top, turnaround, and ride back". That might be OK out of Missoula. Anyway, back to Beartooth. Always looking for info. We are planning 5 days, so should be plenty of time.

Anyone made this ride coming from the west? (Ellensburg, Wa. right in the middle of the state) Planning on doing Yellowstone and Beartooth in late July. Also want to work in Lolo Pass, maybe on the way back. I've heard that Lolo is kind of "ride to the top, turnaround, and ride back". That might be OK out of Missoula. Anyway, back to Beartooth. Always looking for info. We are planning 5 days, so should be plenty of time.

Brenda and I did Lolo pass last year from East to West. It was one of the high points of our 8,000 mile ride. Don't miss it!

Lynn

In 2000 myself and 2 friends went to Sturgis via Canada from Mass then we went to Yellowstone and upon leaving I was in the lead and took a wrong turn and happened over Beartooth Hwy my friends still joke to me that that was the best wrong turn I ever made it was around 100 degrees at the bottom and we were throwing snowballs at the top.I hope to someday go back it is awsome.

TOM:parrots: