IGNORED

Need Some thoughts on gauge problem

HELLO ALL

I am on a trip and will look at this when we get back but just wanted to run this by everyone here to get some ideas. My gas gauge on the dash will blink on and off but not all the time. I think it might be the sending unit but not sure until I do sometesting. What are some other ideas out there.

The rest of the dash is working just fine. Had the switch replace 4 months ago because the hole dash was blinking on and off and that fixed that but just the gas gauge doing it is a little strange . What do you think guys??????????????

Bikenut

2006 Yamaha Venture

32000 miles on her

Alway garage kept or covered when parked

:think::think::think:

If you can get to a shop manual page page 8-80 or 465 in the PDF file...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1828

This talks about Self Diagnosis of fuel sender and fuel themistor

It talks about the fuel gauge full bars blinking on and off at 0.5 seconds then all off for 3 seconds 1 cycle repeated 3 times. OR the last bar indicating empty blinking on/off at .05 seconds. OR the far left full bar blinking on/off at .05 seconds

They go through checking the harness, checking sender for continuity. You can get to the plug for the sending unit by removing the black plastic on top of the tank, around the key switch.

Hope this helps...I know it has to really stress you out being on a trip and having trouble.

:fingers crossed:

The tank is full of gas when it does it most of the time right after I fill her up.

Yes the bike is under warranty and yes I will take it in but if it is just a loose conection which it could be I will fix it myself. I do all the work I can on my bike before it goes to the shop. I do this as a part time job fixing bikes but was just wondering if this happened to others.

CMIK:

What you stated is just what it is doing. I have my service manual in my bike trail with us so I will look that up and see what it states.

Thanks for that info on the Manual.

:bowdown:

If you took it in because the dash was blinking, and now the fuel gauage is blinking, I would say they didnt fix the problem completely...

I would at minimum take it back and let them at least KNOW you are still having a blinking problem..and ask them to document it in your electronic file on thier web site so that no matter what Yamaha dealer you need to go to , it will show you were having the problem..

I agree with you all on the warranty and yes it is going back after we get back home which is 1500 miles from were we are.

I did look at the service manual and it looks like the sending unit is going bad with the Full gauge blinking on and off and then the last bar blinking on and off so I will take it in when we get home for a new sending unit.

Thanks Guys for all the help

I just thought it might be something easy that I could do on the road.

Later

:fingers-crossed-emo

• 11 years later...

I Know this is a old thread just figured that I would post here instead of starting a new thread. My 99 venture fuel gauge blinks right after fill-up and continues for about 40 miles, after that it works normal until I refill it. I checked the manual and the blinks show a bad sending unit. I tested the wires, replaced the sending unit and even tried another dash assembly and still have the same result. Wondering if anyone had this issue and if so what were the fixes.

Thanks, Ron

I Know this is a old thread just figured that I would post here instead of starting a new thread. My 99 venture fuel gauge blinks right after fill-up and continues for about 40 miles, after that it works normal until I refill it. I checked the manual and the blinks show a bad sending unit. I tested the wires, replaced the sending unit and even tried another dash assembly and still have the same result. Wondering if anyone had this issue and if so what were the fixes.

Thanks, Ron

Ron, 2 things: Check all connectors between the tank and the dash and check for a good ground on the dash. Clean the connectors and put some dielectric grease around the connector (not the pins) to seal the connector. For chassis/instrument panel grounds, loosen, clean, then re-tighten. Either can cause issues.

Since the sending unit sends various voltages to the gauge showing full/empty...a bad ground can cause a misread.

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased a 2008 tour deluxe, I filled the tank and now with 60 miles on the tank of gas it’s showing almost empty. I bought a new tour deluxe in 2008 and never had any problems with the gauge and got a lot more than 60 miles per tank full. Any ideas for me to start checking? 

33 minutes ago, Mikeymike said:

I recently purchased a 2008 tour deluxe, I filled the tank and now with 60 miles on the tank of gas it’s showing almost empty. I bought a new tour deluxe in 2008 and never had any problems with the gauge and got a lot more than 60 miles per tank full. Any ideas for me to start checking? 

I would start with checking the float in the tank 9x out of 10 this is the culprit in fuel level issues. You can pull the sending unit out and by hand or if you can reach the arm with a coat hanger move the gauge through its sweep and watch the gauge for any  irregularities. If you can get your hands on a second sender you can just connect the wires to it and put it through its sweep and compare the gauges reaction with your sending unit.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1