IGNORED

Repaired That Pesky Radiator Drain!

I have been one of those VR owners that from time to time had a small puddle of coolant under the front of my 87'VR. Today, after draining the coolant, I pulled that @#$% Phillips head screw, removed the Drain plug and chased the ball and spring all across the shop floor. Who knew this was going to be this much fun! I cleaned up the Drain Plug and removed the old O'ring. I then cleaned the bore the Drain Plug goes into with Steel Wool. I installed the new O'ring, returned the spring and ball to it's rightful place, put the plug back into the bore and at this point I decided I didn't want to deal with that @#$% Phillips head screw so I replaced it with a Stainless Steel Allen Head cap screw and lock washer. Boy was it easier to tighten up that cap screw then that Phillips head screw! After filling the coolant and a test drive, guess what, No more leak! :thumbsup2: I attached some pics below.

Earl

I got mine resealed with new O-Rings, and stopped leaking.

After that I never used it again--- I simply use the drain plug under the Water Pump unit, flush the system with garden hose a couple times, redrain, and refill.

I drain and refill mine at least once a year.

I have been one of those VR owners that from time to time had a small puddle of coolant under the front of my 87'VR. Today, after draining the coolant, I pulled that @#$% Phillips head screw, removed the Drain plug and chased the ball and spring all across the shop floor. Who knew this was going to be this much fun! I cleaned up the Drain Plug and removed the old O'ring. I then cleaned the bore the Drain Plug goes into with Steel Wool. I installed the new O'ring, returned the spring and ball to it's rightful place, put the plug back into the bore and at this point I decided I didn't want to deal with that @#$% Phillips head screw so I replaced it with a Stainless Steel Allen Head cap screw and lock washer. Boy was it easier to tighten up that cap screw then that Phillips head screw! After filling the coolant and a test drive, guess what, No more leak! :thumbsup2: I attached some pics below.

Earl

Thanks for the pics Earl. One point. Your drain should be in the 'off' position or you're by-passing the thermostat... 'Course you knew that...huh?? :)

Good morning, over there, OK, its time for an Update !!! on the New bike !!!!!!!

Good Morning back to you George, here it's 15:45. I've been working since 7.5 Hours and still counting ...

No update on the Bike as of yet. It's sitting there under the Cover and i walk by it 5 Days a Week. Gotta get my other Jobs (2 Sets of FJR Rims for the 1Gen Max and 2 Starter Clutch Conversions) done first before getting into the Bike. New, wider Handle Bar is under Way, new Master Cylinders and front Signals sitting here already. Not decided on the Mirrors and the Front light yet.

Earl

:goodpost::goodpost:

Uncle,Uncle..............I give up..............:yikes::yikes:

I have finally realized I can't keep up with the "Earl's" of the world,

when it comes to repairing these old Ventures....:stickpoke: :D:D

Heck,I can't even keep up with the "Jones's"................

That was a good write-up..I have added it to the list of things to do...Thanks buddy...

[hanging his head in shame] he shuffles off to the garage to see if he can unbury the lift table to begin working on the bike.......:8:

Hey Dan,

I can't believe that you have a lift table!! I spent the morning laying on the floor of the garage, messing with that darn drain. If I could get my VR up to my waist I wouldn't ever leave the garage! Got any houses for sale in your neighborhood?:rotfl::rotfl: I told Jean that you had a lift table and she just shook her head and muttered......"SISSY"

I guess I sent that Cap Screw set a week to soon! Let me know if you need a SS cap screw to replace that Phillips Screw, or a hand getting your LIFT TABLE (I still can't believe it!) set up.

Earl and Jean

Hey Dan,

I can't believe that you have a lift table!! I spent the morning laying on the floor of the garage, messing with that darn drain. If I could get my VR up to my waist I wouldn't ever leave the garage! Got any houses for sale in your neighborhood?:rotfl::rotfl: I told Jean that you had a lift table and she just shook her head and muttered......"SISSY"

I guess I sent that Cap Screw set a week to soon! Let me know if you need a SS cap screw to replace that Phillips Screw, or a hand getting your LIFT TABLE (I still can't believe it!) set up.

Earl and Jean

She called me a "Sissy".....[Note to self] call and schedule 6 more months of therapy.:yikes:

The lift is set up,but it has my son's go-cart on it and is in front of the crew cab,which is blocked in by the bike and 3 snowblowers all in parts...Oh ya,and the western snow plow that I'm rebuilding and the Cummins diesel that is being prepped to go in the crew cab.

Too many projects and not enough time...:bang head:

My neighbor one upped me when he built his garage.2-story with a above ground car hoist.I dislike him very much...:buttkick: :D

Wow,I can't believe she called me a sissy........

Ok,I'm going to take a bubble bath and have a glass of wine......:crackup::crackup::crackup: