IGNORED

Recommended Tie Down Procedure?

So, I think I found a Second Gen in my price range about 350 miles away. Called the current owner, agreed on a price, and now I need to get the bike back. My wife and I will probably drive down the night before in her blazer. If the weather is greater than 32F and sunny I will probably ride the bike back. If there is rain, sleet, or snow I am going to rent an open uhaul trailer and tow the thing back.

Can anyone post pictures of how they tied their bikes down to a trailer?

:mytruck1:

Do I need anything besides standard ratchet/cinch straps?

I know, trailers belong behind the bike not under it, but I just want to get the thing home in one piece without getting frostbite.:snow2:

I have used my ratchet straps connected to my crash guards that protect the engine. It does'nt grab the bike as high as I would like but holds it in place very well. Make sure you tie it low to the floor to get the best angle. Driven over 1000 miles that way. Good luck!:Avatars_Gee_George:

I would prefer some soft ties...preferably some with some sheep skin/wool or really soft stuff on

them...http://www.tie-down-straps.com/images/motorcycle-tie-down-sling.gifhttp://img.jpcycles.com/product/940-070_A.jpgfor 2 reasons...one to keep the metal hooks away from the bike and two to wrap them around the hooks so they will not bounce loose and really 3 to not scuff the paint or chrome with the steel or rubber coated hooks. Even slight vibration can cause straps to vibrate and scuff up your new scoot.

I prefer the rachet tie downs so I can get them really tight. I am always nervous about hauling a bike. Becareful loading and straping it down...remember the RSV is a heavy bike...They are ment to be rode...I hope the weather holds so you can ride it home.

Good luck with the new bike and take it easy getting her home. .

No Pics here either, but when your using short Loops(actually a very good Idea, no one should do without them) you place them Loops above the lower Fork Yoke. One on each Side and tie the Fork down there very tight. Try to use the Rachtets on both Sides equally. Might also be good Idea to let the Air out of the Fork before you start to tighten them down finally. At the rear you only need to pull the Bike down a little bit, place the Ends of the Strapy more to the Outside to prevent the Bike from sliding to or right Side.

When I traveled on the ferry last summer (6hr trip) it was my first time tying down. A Goldwing rider came to my assistance. He taped the front brake on with electrical tape and stood on the left floorboard and had me tighten the ratchet strap on that side when he did. I didn't have any problem at all.

Keith

The picture has the soft ties under the handle bars between the mounts, it is kind of a pain to get them under there. I would stay away from attaching to the handlebars anywhere else due to possible bending but that is just my opinion. I have since ran the soft ties over the lower triple tree and around the fork tube but I don't have a picture of that. It holds very well and is easier to route the soft tie. Just make sure you stay clear of the brake line on the right side, there is plenty of room just be aware it is there. The rear is secured to the rear frame in front of the saddlebag. I use just the 4 straps and it stays put just fine, I use powertye 2 inch ratchet straps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/gunnybutch/SideTie.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/gunnybutch/UpperTie2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/gunnybutch/FrontTie.jpg

Not to high-jack the thread, but should the air be released from the front forks when

tieing down by the handlebars? Seems to me that since the forks will be compressed for a long period of time, while tied, it would be best not to have any pressure in the forks.

Maybe I am paranoid, but I that is what I do.

You will note in all the pictures there is something there to hold the front tire in place. If the UHaul has a wooden floor, take 3 pieces of 2x4 to made a channel for the front tire. It might be a good idea to put 2 more boards on each side of the rear tire as well. Use double headed nails to make it easy to remove.

Good luck.

RR

From my experience I don't let pressure out of the front forks. When cinching them down I tighten them enough to partially compress that way they still have room to compress without bottoming out if there is a hard jolt. One other thing is I have the front and rear straps slightly pulling the bike forward to prevent it loosening in the wheel chock.