IGNORED

Those front two plugs!!!

Hi folks,

So here's what happened, I never winterized my Gen 2 because I had plans to haul down south sometime this winter. Plus I got lazy and hunting and football and blah blah blah. So we finally got a little warmer weather last week and I started it up last week anyway bad gas plus I think I flooded it.:bang head: So it wouldn't run very well and had smoke pouring out the pipes more on the left side than right. Yesterday I drained the tank and then added sea foam but it still ran poorly. Today I pulled the tank (huge accomplishment for me) and managed to pull the two rear plugs. They were both wet and pretty black, now how the heck do I get to the front ones? There is just a ton of stuff in on top of them. I can't figure it out. I did a search but just didn't happen find what I was looking for. Help me please!!!!!!!!!!!! Danimal

-Remove Driver seat

-Remove the bolt for the tank

-Remove the two front bolts of the tank

-Slide the tank back about 1/3 (can be done without removing the fuel line hose)

-Remove Dog Bones

-Remove the Front plugs

-Good Luck

-Jeff

OK so first of all thanks for the responses. So I go to the dog bone on the right side and the first three come out fine but the fourth is behind the rear resivoir (spelling?) Can't get my socket with 8mm in there. T handle doesn't give me enough torque to turn it. So do I remove the resevoir? Do I need to have someone hold that up and level? Am I making this too hard? Also do I have the right spark plug tool, it looks like the one in the manual has a hole in it for a screwdriver to break it loose. Mine doesn't I had to put a 11/16 on top and use my breaker bar so I could get at it from an angle from way up there. Moneys no object here as long as it's less than $20 lol. Thanks again Danimal

Yep, forgot.. take the one bolt off the reservoir. just kinda

move it aside enough to get that dog bone bolt removed..

nothing will spill.

YES get a long socket extension. also a 19mm

with a rubber plug inside the socket so you can pull the plug out.

what also help me a bit is using a swivel on the extension.

This will be ALL easier after you have done it once.

about 15 Min's :)

Good Luck

Jeff

OK thanks Cougar , so your saying to remove the res at the bolt not at the hex nut right? And they make a better spark plug socket for this then? A swivel socket is like a U joint right kinda thingy right? This bunch of people are the best! Not everyone would be willing to help a person the way you folks do. Thanks everyone Venturerider's rock! Danimal

A swivel socket is like a U joint right kinda thingy right?

YEP

There is is bolt to the right side a believe. just ONE...

remove it and push the reservoir over a bit. I am not at the

bike right now, but you will see what I mean.

Jeff

Just went out and looked.. it is the allen bolt (to the right ) that you will need

a 4mm? hex ball end to remove it , then your good to go.

also try and get the thin wall 19mm socket for plugs at sears or some place like that

get a good one.

This is very important! Before removing plugs, take compressed air and blow out the dirt and road grime that collects inside the counterbore on top of the heads. As soon as you remove the plug, that crap could end up inside your cylinder and really make a mess down the road. Just my 2 cents! :hurts:

Brian

Alright got it!!!! Unfortunately I didn't blow out those areas before I got going. I don't have access to air so I'm just hoping for the best at this point. I'll go pick up some plugs tomorrow and pray tonight that nothing fell in there! I should have known better but I'm just not mechanically inclined. Thanks again for all the help guys, I'll try to update this when I'm all done. Danimal

Oh wow never even thought about air in a can :doh:. I'm definately gonna get some next time. There's a reason my email address is Birdbraindanny I guess. :parrots: Redrider we got to get together sometime for a ride or something plus I want to learn how to synch those carbs. Ice creams on me! Thanks for all the help guys. Danimal

OK finished it today!! Went back together really easy, well except the gas line was still tucked under the tank when I finished :bang head:. But fixed that pretty quick. This is what happened. I started it and the miss was gone :banana::banana: but it still smoked alot. So the seafoam's been in there for 36 hours and I thought I'd let it idle for awhile to see if anything would happen. It quit smoking while idleing and it would still blow some smoke when I'd rev' er but it seems like less than before. So now I'll just hold off for warmer weather then I'll go out and crank it a little going down the highway. Maybe that will burn out all the garbage in the carbs. Thanks so much to everyone who held my hand thru this process, I COULD NOT have done this you guys. Danimal

Congrats, Danimal. Glad you were able to replace the plugs. Now I also have a good idea on how to remove those two front plugs. I really thought that all I need is to remove the 'Dog-Bone', but it sounds like I will also have to loosed the tank a little bit. A very important tip for me to remember as well...blow out the dirt before removing the plug wires and spark plug (I tend to forget this step). Regards.

I have always looked down in that hole were the plug goes but have

not seen any dirt down there due to the fact that the top of

the plug wire after inserted seals the top of the plug hole.

It has its own protection dirt cover on it. but I do always look or

shine a light down in there. still very clean in there after 9 years

now.

Jeff