Odd thing i had happen. Tuesday night I rode to dinner it was pretty cold as i needed my leather and gloves. the bike was not hot at all and i parked it in my garage when i got home. the bike sat wensday and thurday. Friday I noticed some coolant under it along with my normal oil drip after parking. I wiped it up and checked my bottle level was fine and the radiator cap was tight also. first time ive had the happen. I went out to brekfast this morning with my brother to take my mind off things and did smell some anti freeze but figure it was residue on the hot bike. no leak tonight. :confused24:

I had the same thing happen on my 1986. In the morning it was 37 F. I went to work and it got to above70 F. I rode to lunch then it sat until 8pm and about 45 F. Did this a couple days and noticed the smell and a 2-3 inch stain on the concrete at work. Also found a few drops on the garage. I could see the marks from the waterpump weep hole. I cleaned it up and haven't seen it since. I was all set to rebuild the water pump. I think I will wait and see if it happens again. If so, I will do all of the o-rings and gaskets. So, we down here can have the same crazy problem.

JB

That means its done for Mike!! Probally won't last til spring!! I'll give you 10 bucks for it and come down and get it out of your way so you won't have to look at it!!:whistling:I' sure it has a couple good parts on it!!:confused24:

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MikeM8560/Shoebox/th_bart.gif

My blue '84 seems to leak a bit of coolant over winter too. I thought I was in for real trouble at first but she doesn't do it in summer just a few drips in winter while in storage. I really don't understand but I can live with it.

Brian H.

Edited by 6m459
spelling correction

It is more then likely if it is up front and middle of bike the small o-ring on the coolant drain valve above the oil filter.

Can be replaced very easy and no more leaks.

If on the right side of bike sitting on it then you would have to look at the water pump.

Other then that check all your hose clamps because they also will leak when the temps get down.

My 86 was the small o-ring on the valve.

Good luck

Bikenut:fingers-crossed-emo

Mike, most of the time it is the "o-rings" throughout the cooling system as they get old and hard and can't seal until the motor gets some heat in it. Also, if you see anything coming out of the weep hole on the water pump, replace it because it's history. Replace the "o-rings" and the water pump and you will be good for another 20 yrs. Don't ask how I know this.

Don H.

It is more then likely if it is up front and middle of bike the small o-ring on the coolant drain valve above the oil filter.

Can be replaced very easy and no more leaks.

It was up front in the middle thanks. I havnt seen any more so I hope its no biggy.

Dan I sent you a pm.

Guest alicia21
Odd thing i had happen. Tuesday night I rode to dinner it was pretty cold as i needed my leather and gloves. the bike was not hot at all and i parked it in my garage when i got home. the bike sat wensday and thurday. Friday I noticed some coolant under it along with my normal oil drip after parking. I wiped it up and checked my bottle level was fine and the radiator cap was tight also. first time ive had the happen. I went out to brekfast this morning with my brother to take my mind off things and did smell some anti freeze but figure it was residue on the hot bike. no leak tonight. :confused24:

great tips. I enjoyed reading this

TX has the idea here. It's 80% chance an O-ring. 20% the water pump seal. But the water pump seal usually show it's worn by the weep hole and leaving spotting on the clutch cover due to your driving while it leaks. The front Oring is now a silicone orange design. There is a similar one toward the water pump on the same pipe. This is called the "by-pass" pipe. I also installed a silicone one there. I think it's the same size. Lastly the large elbow, I also had that leak. But the issue is corrosion at this because the oring does not stop crap from area on the the "dry side". I lightly sander w/#600 on the aluminum and used Permatex ultra when I replaced the large elbow orings to keep that from corroding again. Remember , if it leaks enough you will start seeing a white crusty powdery film. Or the color of your antifreeze.