I am thinking of putting an aux gas tank on my 86. I would like it not to be over the back seat or in the trunk or saddle bags. Has anyone installed such a tank? Here is the one I am thinking of.

http://www.coyote-gear.com/8inch.html

I will put it across the back below the tail light. What do you think?

Cody

Edited by Studhauler
fix typing

I like the look of the shiny gas tank, but I am not sure I would want to drive around every day in traffic with a gas tank behind me.

Have you thought about adding a hidden hitch to the bike and then attaching a gas can with holder to the steel tube insert so you could slide the gas can in and out of the hitch when you went on long trips and remove it for in town riding.

I know it might be a pain to pour once in while, but I think it is safer.

Brian

what size are you wanting to put on and why? Extended range due to insufficient fuel stations? You possess a steel a*%#@ so that you can ride four hours straight? I rode mine back from Toledo (650 m) and a break every two hours was well worth it :-)

heres an already made up version of what I was talking about before. The gas can holder just slides into your bikes or car's hitch reciever or into an attachment on the back of your trailer. This way youre not carrying that gas all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAS-CAN-CARRIER-motorcycle-rack-trailer-hauler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ34284QQihZ020QQitemZ300286365003QQtcZphoto

ctraylor, no spot is good if you get rear-ended. It will be low enough to miss most bumpers.

Gearhead, I don’t think it will be higher than the fuel pump. I may have to add a second fuel pump.

Boomercpo, mind your own business.

Friesmen1, I try to stay away from cities, but yes I have thought about mounting it on a 1 ¼ inch receiver hitch. I commute 50 miles to work the extra range will be nice so I don’t have to fill up every other day.

Barend, yes I do have a Iron Butt, just got my certificate for a 1500 mile ride in 36 hours. Fuel situation- It was rare for me to find fuel

Friesmen1, If I ever get to the big IBA rally that gas can holder will not pass tech inspection.

Thank for the replies, Sorry if my bad mood came though, I lost my 14 year old black lab today.

Cody

Edited by Studhauler
To fix typing errors, but I probably still have some:)