IGNORED

CLutch upgrade options

I am thinking of replacing the clutch, from all the documentation with the bike It has the clutch that came from the factory in it.

If I change the clutch out, is there a better brand that will last longer? is there any upgrades that I should look at that will make it so I never have to replace the clutch again?

I changed mine out a couple years ago, pretty simple job. I went back with Yamaha stock clutch plates and had no problems. Information here told me it would be plenty enough to ride two-up and pull a trailer too. Plenty of gripping power. Several members switched to the Barnett Clutch. More grip, but little harder clutch lever to pull. :2cents:

I replaced mine with the stock pressure plates and lightly sanded the steels at around 90K miles. Talking to Rick at Buckeye Performance convinced me to add a second stock spring on top of the original spring. This gave it about the same pull feel as a cable clutch. I now have over 120K and it feels as strong as day one.

Buckeye is a great place to get the clutch as Rick is a member here and gives us a discount. He also is a wealth of info and is very familiar with both generations of Ventures, the fast ones and the 2nd gens! :witch_brew:

You can click on the name to go to that site.

Soon after I bought my bike the clutch started slipping; I had no friends :8: and got the dealer to replace it. Within a year it started slipping again. I then decided on the PCWRacing clutch kit, and with the help of a very smart friend I put it in myself. It has never slipped again, including under load with a heavy trailer for weeks at a time and over 57,000 kms ago. The clutch lever was a tad stiffer at first but I forgot about that within a few days of riding. This was one of the best things I've done to my bike.

1st, it depends on the year of the bike. 1983-1985 used a plate and coil springs 1986 and up to include the 2nd Gens. uses a diaphragm spring. The earlier units can have stronger springs installed. The later setup can have a stronger spring installed or dual stock springs. I chose the stronger single spring. I was worried about the dual setup not giving enough gradual engagement. The stronger spring comes with an extra friction disc. A small change in the stack and it goes right in. Many people only do this and do not replace the old discs. They have had good results. I changed all my frictions, added the spring and extra disc, then sanded my steel plates. If the plates show signs of heat (blueing) make sure to check for flatness. The whole job can be done in less than 2 hours including the sanding and checking. On the sidestand you won't even need to drain the oil. You will lose maybe a few teaspoons. There is also a Barnett kit that puts the old style multi-spring system in with stronger springs.

New stronger single spring kit from www.pcwracing.net

Barnett clutch system from www.buckeyeperformance.com

New discs and gasket from either place.

Also, make sure you have a long 5mm allen wrench. I have one that fits on a 3/8" drive ratchet. The other helpful item is an inch-pound torque wrench for the spring bolts. A st of o-ring picks for removing the discs and the inner wire retainer wouldn't be a bad idea.

JB

• 1 month later...